• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Morning-Weekend Edition

12 hours ago, RebelSS said:

But yer supposed to use fresh water.....;)

That was always my way of thinking and why I was never a fan of Bunn coffee makers. Now I feel they are one of the best because the water temp in making the coffee and mine makes it into a preheated carafe so every cup taste the same.

What a night last night!  My son and I went to a friends son Pee Wee District championship game last night.  The kid knew we were there and he scored the first goal of the game.  Kind of a top shelf snipe and he skated over to us and did the Cam Newton open up the shirt to show the S on the Superman underneath move celebration (this is called a "celly" these days boys).  Much cuter when the person doing it is 11 years old and still looks like a little kid.  They lost the game however.

Walked in the door and Mrs LL was pretty giddy.  Long story short we had a kid that had hernia surgery and we thought we had followed all protocol to make sure as much was covered insurance wise before the surgery happened.  Turns out we hadn't and got a pretty substantial bill a month later of 12-15k or so.  She got a letter saying we were getting a "one time" reprive.  Sometimes saving money is better than making money.

Then #1 Benilde lost to Cretin in HS hockey, Wayzata beat Edina, Minnetonka and Blaine lost aka a lot of good teams aren't going to the State tourney this year.  Wayzata's best chance at winning it as long as they beat Cretin on Wednesday.

Also had a great date with Mrs LL.  Found out the hot tub thing in our bathroom's jets quit working so I had to wave my arms around a bit, I checked it out like a fool at the time but will tackle fixing it today.  Just put a small pork shoulder on smoker for pulled pork sandy's tonight.

Funny with all the good that happened last night the Keurig machine didn't really bother me this morning.

Mornin,  was pretty busy yesterday so I'm thinking of putting it in bum mode today. That's great to see the usual teams fall LL,  I haven't watched a wild game in a while so I'mgoing to tune in to the outdoor game today. I have a full grill of stuff to cold smoke in a bit, after that gets underway the kiddo and I will probably do some more driving. .:)

Good morning all,  put in 2 pork rib roasts for us and a small brisket for a friends mother this morning. Just plan to sit infront of the tv watching the race all day except when I have to deliver the brisket. It feels like I got old and out of shape this winter, hit two medium buckets of balls at the range yesterday and every muscle in my body hurts today :(

Good Morning.  This diet thing is messing my cooking routine up real good.  Meat salad, Meat vegies and repeat after me over and over.  Told my wife that here I am complaining about this and then I think of all the folks that are suffering around the world and I straighten up real fast.  Think I will make a boneless pork roast today with roasted vegies.  Like that better than a salad although I'll have that tomorrow.  Lost about 7 pounds so far.  No carbs deal worked before but I sure do miss good bread.  I was googling around a couple of days ago and I thought I saw a recipe for a no carb bread.  Must of been seeing things but I'll check again.  My wife has had problems with her knees and is holding off getting the operation but I think she will bite the bullet.  Way to young to be needing a walker to get around.  We have a appointment with a surgeon Thursday.  good luck.

RH1 I hear you on the bread !

The wife has been on a no carb/low carb diet and it works but makes meals a little tougher. I will say for her it really has worked as a effective way of losing weight. I tried to find her cook books but she must have brought them to work. When I find out the names I will post. Some decent recipes in them including some snacks that even I enjoy eating.  There have been a bunch of gals that are now seeing the same doctor she has been seeing for weight loss. The younger gals seem to lose weight much easier than the older gals. They can have up to 50 grams of carbs and still lose weight but the wife needs to keep it under 20 grams of carbs.

3 hours ago, Dotch said:

Off to church momentarily. Nothing happening in the lambing barn. Froze up outside overnight so dogs were not mudballs like they were after CHORES last night. Decided to thaw out chicken breasts and salmon. Somewhere between evading Mrs. Cheviot's advances and taking naps I should be able to find time to cook them. :D

sheez Dotch.....let me know what kind of after shave your using!!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin:

morning all, just sucked down the last of the fresh ground Columbian coffee! not mush on the agenda for today. work on getting my ice fishing stuff ready and loaded to skip town wed!!!!!!!!

THE  WEEKEND ADDITION IS ALIVE AND WELL:

Good morning Rebels and all others:D

My Mother-in Law is here so I have to make some breakfast- decided at her age (88) some high cholesterol things won't do to much damage so its going to be Pork sausage and eggs. She snarf down the slow smoked ribs  and asparagus with a baked potato tonight so I figured more of same can't hurt her. (I really love her)

Has anyone ever tried eating or cooking an Eurasian collard  dove? I've eaten many morning doves and wonder if the Collard doves would be any different. Think today I'm going to use the pellet gun and try about 3 of them.

Keep the tradition alive::D

This shooting of the doves is legal and will be done while I'm hauling dirt in a wheelbarrow to fill in holes from stumps that were ground out. Keeps me entertained.

Edited by Juneau4

I'm here at the lake, 47 & a NW wind  already. A big change from the last couple of days. Probably work on the yard & a few things getting the boat ready today. If the wind would let up a little I might head out to see what the crappies are doing. Maybe tomorrow as it's supposed to blow pretty good here today again. Enjoy the weekend guys

Morning all.  Nice day here.  Sunny beautiful day.  Was cold and windy last night so didn't go for the Fri. night cocktail boat ride.  I did take a pic of the haze from the smoke in Canada.  It gets worse at times and we had a NW wind that must have brought it in.  Last day of Sturgeon keeping season today.  I will try to get out for an hour or two.  BUT have to mow the lawn and clean up a mapIMG_0440.JPGle tree that I cut down a week ago.  Have a good one all.

oops!

There that better.  Sorry.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Nice day, but it reeks of smoke and really heavy haze with all of it in the air here, from the Alberta wildfires.....air quality warnings out, too. *cough*

From what I've read, the smoke we're getting is also partly from the Minnesota fire up by Hattie Lake by Lake George. cough, cough

Edited by roony

6 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Nice day, but it reeks of smoke and really heavy haze with all of it in the air here, from the Alberta wildfires.....air quality warnings out, too. *cough*

This doesn't make sense, I'm 25 miles from the Hattie lake fire and a lot closer to the Canada fire then some, including my mother who is close to Cannon Falls. See is reporting haze from the smoke. It's clear as a bell here, no smell of smoke. Is it blowing down through the Dakota's and coming in from the West?

Seemed  to let up for a bit this afternoon, now really smoky smelling and hazy again. Iowa had WORSE air quality earlier today, how's that work? I'm going to head out in an hour and try to get some pre-sunset pics. Had all the windows wide open, but just closed them, as my eyes are kinda burning.

Check out the map...

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&zipcode=55901&submit=Go

That's funny stuff, morning people.  41 here and not a ripple on the lake, grabbed a cup of coffee and the pooch and I headed down to the dock. 9 wood ducks were loafing around in the water now there flying all over peeping at us, pretty cool. Funny how we can go from wanting  the Ac on to needing the furnace on, no wonder why fishing is a little on the slow side. Better get after some breakfast....later fellas.

Woke up and made the coffee. Went to go get on the internet and found that my computer died and now has a funny smell. Got the laptop for a backup so I didn't really miss a beat. Great looking day so far. No new birds but maybe today they will show up.

Wind finally calmed down so we hit the lake for a hour or so this morning. Found some fish but couldn't get them to bite. It was 45 here early going to make 70 maybe 75. Have a nice day 

Beautiful morning. Still and perfect temp at about 63 so far. Overnight low was 43. Air doesn't stink like yesterday so that's a plus. Watching the chipmunk, squirrel and visting white-throated and Harris's sparrows keeping an eye on the cat as I'm debating what to do for the remainder of the day. With Mrs. Cheviot working I'm left mainly to my own devices and that may not be good. Windbreak needs mowing and I need to extract the garden tiller from where it got stuck between a couple wagons earlier this winter. Kind of a pain but no pain no gain as they say. Getting some garden in ahead of the early week's forecast rain would be sweet. Otherwise it'll still be there when I get to it. ;) 

I figured 11;17 0n a Friday qualifies for the weekend addition.:D

The evening of the open water fishing is about to begin-what can I say!  In a short 45 minutes I could be out on the open water in anticipation of a tug on the line and be pulling in my first keeper of the new year, and if it was like most of my past years it would be no more than an Iowa bass (Bullhead for those that don't know the term).

That's not going to happen this year though, I'm not at the lake. With 39 degree temps and a 20- 30 mph winds, I and the wife decided to be fair weather fisherman (She's a fisherman too). So instead of at the lake she's snuggled in bed and I'm sitting here typing this and having a 7-7 while the cat is sprawled  out in the recliner sleeping.

Now don't feel to sorry for me:( because come this Wed. I'll probably be gone for the rest of the summer until mid Oct.:D That should keep most in "Silly Town" happy. Some give up chocolate for Lent, I give up the computer from mid May till mid October.

You all have a great summer no matter whether you fish or not, keep the grills cooking and the fire hot.(Unless you're slow cooking).

Get RH1 back (miss his Knowledge)