• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Morning-Weekend Edition

Complete with Ian the Drama Queen? Says it's up to 1 above here. Now it's Ruby's turn. Mrs. Cheviot wonders how all that dog hair gets on the rug. Tempting to get the beanbag chair out after lunch and give it a whirl myself. :)

20160213_110529-1.thumb.jpg.642486aaac29

2 hours ago, RebelSS said:

The 'puter and receiver are in opposite ends of the house, Del. Not sure how to do that off the 'puter. Audio hook-ups, O ya, do I ever, but off the 'puter....beside, I must listen to Shari....:whistle:   ( I can't post your "quote" here, since HSO is still doing totally screwed things every time I go to post...now it's locking up...$#@!$) This 'puter is toast anyway, still working on getting that new one. Just as soon as I pay that $225 for my February truck tabs, and the upcoming dentist bill.....$#@!

Something like this might work... Bluetooth

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQBSW28/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BI2CIO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JAH18SKNY9PSGPY448R

2 hours ago, ThunderLund78 said:

I've been making it a point to integrate music into my mornings, especially on the weekends.  5 year old woke me up at 6:00am (an HOUR earlier than his weekday routine!). So I stumbled to the coffee pot and then the laptop to get some morning music going.

If you guys want some good morning music, check out a band out of MSP called "The Pines" kind of a somber folk-bluegrass outfit and they have a new album out called "Above the Prairie."  Very nice, calming music with a true midwestern tone.

I'm surprised i have never heard of them before. I know i have said this before, but i am a fan of most genre's of music.  Reminds me a bit of Langhorne slim, or maybe Charlie Parr. Either way, thanks for the suggestion.

In other news, I returned Thursday night from a week in Mexico. Its hard to complain about the weather there, but it was cloudy and breezy the first couple of days. It did warm up, but the wind never let up. I had booked two scuba dives while we were there, but only ended up using one. I ended up getting motion sickness, and couldn't talk myself into going back out there. The visibility was not good either, from the red flag winds blowing into the beach. Its always fun to go on vacation, but there truly is no place like home!! 

My cuz in California just called me...lives in Pismo Beach. Just heading down to the beach for some perch fishing in the 74* weather....:angry:

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Del, take a listen to Shari and see what ya think...she works Mon-Fri, noon to 6:00 PM. Superb line-up. :D

Edited by RebelSS

5 hours ago, RebelSS said:

The minute I get up, the rock goes on. 70's and 80's. it stays cranked all day long. Music is a huge part of my life. It was the same way when I was a kid, my Mom turned the radio on in the am to the that great station in the cities, WDGY...or weegie, and you um, er, "experienced" guys remember that. At nite, if the airwaves were JUST right, it was John Landecker on WLS in Chicago....

WDGY  Wasn't that Little Rock, Arkansas.  Best darn station at the time. Yup WLS too.  They were the only stations at night that played good rock and underground rock.   THE GOOD STUFF!   AM Radio.  We would call into WDGY once in awhile and they would say our names and play our request.  What a thrill.  That was the good ol days when you got a few buddies and cruised the gravel roads in small town America and just had a good time.  Of course we had to go to someones house and call long distance since we never heard of a cell phone yet.  Brings back a lot of good memories of truly great friends from the past.  Thanks Reb.

56 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

So KRPR has DJs now?  Haven't been listening much since new car came with XM

Oh Del, where have you been?! Brian Taylor, Jim Giebel, Shari.......best rock station this town has EVER had...seriously. 

WDGY  Wasn't that Little Rock, Arkansas ..

Nope, Always been in the Twin Cities since 1923. You're thinking of KAAY, Little Rock. Another was KOMA in Oklahoma City.  That and WLS in Chitown were the 4 I listened to non-stop on the AM dial. :grin:

http://www.wdgyradio.com/

Quote:

The station went through several ownership changes until 1956, when they were purchased by Todd Storz' Mid-Continent Broadcasting, an Omaha-based owner of a five-to-seven-station group (the maximum number allowed in those days). Storz quickly changed the format to Top 40, taking advantage of the early rise of rock and roll music. The station was often nicknamed "WeeGee," and dominated the local ratings for many years.

In 1959, WDGY gained a formidable challenger when KDWB arrived on the scene. From KDWB's sly introduction to Twin Cities radio by way of a teaser ad campaign in newspapers and on other Twin Cities radio stations as "Formula 63" (for 630), WDGY and KDWB seesawed back and forth in ratings supremacy for area teen and young adult audiences throughout the raucous 60s and 70s. The competition, sometimes friendly, sometimes not at all, resulted in some of the best merchandising promotions and concerts ever sponsored by local radio stations.

Generally, WDGY came in a regular second in overall audience ratings (everyone came in second to market-dominant, clear-channel WCCO-AM back then). In the 1960's WDGY seemed to appeal to slightly older teens and the 18- to 35-year-olds while KDWB held a fair share of the teen audiences - considered hot properties during this period.

WDGY's longtime Top 40 format came to an end in 1977 when, faced with much stronger competition on the FM dial, they adopted a country music format, which they continued well into the 1980s, prior to a flip to a news/talk format and finally, the adoption of sports talk as KFAN in 1991. Ironically, the abandoned WDGY call letters were quickly picked up by their former rival at 630 kHz.

Edited by RebelSS

Ah the Golden Age of a.m. radio. I still remember getting yelled at for tuning in those stations on my transistor radio after I was in bed. Going on 20 years since he signed off the last time and I still miss Cannon.

http://www.pavekmuseum.org/Cannon.htm

I did make it to Fareway flying under the radar detection of Mrs. Cheviot. Unloaded and stacked the straw along with cleaning out the snow where the trailer sat, etc. It LOOKS like I got a lot done today. Boy did I fool her! Procured a couple of not cheap but delightful NY strips to grill mañana so I should be golden! Ruby and Fudgie's beaks certainly let me know they approved. Even if Mrs. Cheviot doesn't appreciate my efforts, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.  :D

1 hour ago, Dotch said:

Ah the Golden Age of a.m. radio. I still remember getting yelled at for tuning in those stations on my transistor radio after I was in bed. Going on 20 years since he signed off the last time and I still miss Cannon.

http://www.pavekmuseum.org/Cannon.htm

I did make it to Fareway flying under the radar detection of Mrs. Cheviot. Unloaded and stacked the straw along with cleaning out the snow where the trailer sat, etc. It LOOKS like I got a lot done today. Boy did I fool her! Procured a couple of not cheap but delightful NY strips to grill mañana so I should be golden! Ruby and Fudgie's beaks certainly let me know they approved. Even if Mrs. Cheviot doesn't appreciate my efforts, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.  :D

You guys ought to go to the pave museum.  You can even record yourselves being DJ for the moment.  It was a cool place.  And for all you guy and gal cake eaters out there it is right between Edina and St Louis Park. 

I spent my formative years listening to KDWB and WDGY.    My favorite in College was KUXL, from north minneapolis.  Joe Pyne's talk show and Rev. Billy James Hargis with the Christian Anti-communist Crusade in the morning and Soul music in the afternoon.  Had to sign off at sundown.  Most of the commercials were for liquor stores.  

One advantage of XM is it has something besides classic rock.   But KRPR is one of my presets. 

morning, this weekend was our annual.4H ice fishing trip. I startd this gatering 10 years ago, and we.struggle.to.find shelters.to.acommoxate.the kids and  parents. this year, every one had more important thins.going.on, like so.e soprt.thing or something...so we had a pretty small.crew one family. and they only caught one fish. but i was the kids biggest fish.to date. a beuiful 19" it snaped.the line at the hole.and kinda got.stuck and his mom scooped it ou with the ice scooper. exciting to say the least

9482-1.jpg

What a great thing to do Boar. Despite all the things these guys say about you, I always figured you for a stand up kinda guy! :D And I'm sure you teach them the valuable lesson that it isn't the number and size of fish caught, it's the number and size of the fish you tell people you caught. :lol:

Chores done during the "big snow". It maybe will make an inch if it works at it. Shut the brood ewes in last night after tossing in enough bedding to keep it nice and dry in their barn. Still on schedule to shear Tuesday afternoon so keeping fingers crossed that the weather cooperates. Just glad we didn't try it yesterday. When the temps are like that, the wormer and CD&T freeze up in the needles on the syringes so that means diddling around trying to do it later after they've lambed. Got enough diddling around at that point.

Lots of pheasants in the yard this a.m., mostly hens. They appear to be surviving the winter very well. Been keeping their ear corn feeder stocked so they know where to go. Mrs. Cheviot is off to work again about 10-ish so I may get that nap in that I've been desperately seeking. I think the Gopher men play basketball today so that's almost a guarantee.  

great work Boar.  I'm sure mom is taking the "assist" on that one and will tell the story for a week.

I could cut and paste most of my post from yesterday and call it a day but I won't, thankfully you guys probably don't remember what I even posted.  My major task today is some volunteer work at the rink doing some scorekeeping and announcing.  Announcing at a hockey rink is hard because the acoustics are bad.  I just try to announce the names correctly and play music between whistles, the parents like hearing their kids names and the kids like the music.

Maybe I will make my own playlist of the favorite chick flicks from yesterday, soundtrack to The Breakfast Club, Dirty Dancing, and Alone in the Wilderness would obviously make the cut.  I always miss the second period "one minute remaining" line.  I think I get excited the resurfacing is coming and that I can go get a 25 cent jawbreaker out of the machine.

11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Pavek.  

http://www.pavekmuseum.org/

Take sparkles up the road.  worth the trip.

That's MR. Sparkles to you. :grin:  OH, I know all about that one. My good friend Harley Flathers who just passed (you DO know who Harley is, dontcha, Del?) is in there numerous times. Fantastic  guy. Should read his autobiography. I think ya'd like it. 

I wouldn't allow the neighbor lady in my truck, either. She'd haveta walk. 

Edited by RebelSS