• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cart or sled???

So here is another opinion question.

For those of us who don't have an atv or who's atv is currently in the shed or garage and will not run... Which do you prefer, the deer cart or the otter sled??? 

I have used both over the years and have settled on a definite favorite, but I would like to hear what others think on the subject. 

Edited by Neighbor_guy

I have used both. if there is snow Iwould go with sled. I have had rollover issues with side hills etc, At my Cabin in WI I am seriously thinking of quartering and packing. Atv's are only legal on private land so we don't use them.  In MN i hunt farmland so we use atv or tractor. My land owner said chainsaw right to the deer if necessary. LOL  We do not want ant heart attacks from dragging

I bring both along where I hunt on state land. Most of the trees that I use for hunting are between 200 yds to 1/2 a mile off of a non-motorized semi-groomed DNR forestry road that I use to get to my area. Between there and the road can be switchgrass, brush, fallen logs, old fence lines, hilly terrain etc. So what I'll do when I am fortunate enough to make a kill is drag the deer with the sled through the rough stuff and leave the cart by the DNR forestry road. Once at the road, I pull the sled with deer right up onto the cart and tie it off. Sometimes, I'll use a ratchet strap to strap in the deer so it's not sliding all over the place.

Here's a friend of mine's buck we got this past week while bowhunting. The tough part was the 300 yds trek from woods to DNR road on the sled (which is isnt all that tough when compared to dragging a deer without the sled). Once the deer and sled are on the cart, the 1 mile of road back to the parking lot was easy peezy.

deer cart.jpg

Edited by 1eyeReD

I have used both a lot. I know, lucky me, but I have settled on the small otter sled. The cart is great in the right spots and in level ground to a trail. Where I hunt in swamp ground and uneven woods with a lot of dead falls to go over and around the sled just fits the bill better for me. Let's just say the cart is still in the shed. 

For you guys that use an otter sled, how well does that work in a fairly thick woods??

I hunt in farmland where 90% the time its a short drag to the pickup but I've had a few deer head into the thick woods to the north that are even hard to drag out by the horns, I think a sled would constantly get caught on trees and brush. I was actually thinking more about one of the roll-up sleds.

For you guys that use the roll-ups, what kind did you get??

I've never used either. I've always just drug them out. After reading this thread I figured I'd give the sled a try. I shot a 9 point a fair ways back in the woods on Thursday. The sled made the job of getting him out much easier.

Here's a little mod I did to make it so the rope doesn't pinch your hand when you're pulling. I skid a piece of hydraulic hose over it.

IMG_20151114_123856528_HDR.jpg

I use a cart for bear, have a large cart rated at 300 pluse lbs  when one gets alrge animal 200 lb buck or 400 lb bear carts are the way to go, so much less surface area to cause drag. if your in really nasty stuff, nuthing is really gona help I feel but just grit and determination. my cart has a center point almost on the axle, allowing it to lift or rotate on the axle over dead falls. cart for me.

I tried a cart one time...left it in the woods and picked it up a couple weeks later.  It was no good in the brush.  The last buck I shot I drug about 150 yards uphill the whole way, took about 2.5 hours by myself dragging about 10 yards at a time and taking a break.  The one before that was about 250 yards up the same hill but I had help, still took a couple hours.

Get a pack frame of some sort.  I won't even drag 250 yards up hill anymore let alone 2 miles.  Like No Wiser said, try it once and you'll never drag a deer again.  Often times, I can get them out in two halves on my back. 

My my buddy shot a deer deep on the opener.  Took him two days to pack it out.  It was worth it though.  

I have used a cart and a sled for Deer and Bear. Love the cart in open areas. The last Deer I shot was way on the back side of a thick clear cut. Cart no way, tried the sled kept tipping side ways and buck falling off one side. Had to cut the bast-er in two and drag one side at a time. I think a deeper Otter sled like NG said may work better but nothing other then grunt would get this one out of there! :(

My son said if I keep hunting back there he is walking the other way when I shoot next time! :D

The last buck I drug out by myself I actually considered cutting up in the woods. I really need to look into a pack frame if I'm gonna keep hunting river bottoms. For now I'm young and dumb so I just use brute strength.