• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

American sniper

slurpie

Personally, I didn't know about the gag order, but I actually liked how Eastwood wrapped the movie up. It was different, and it did more with less... It had more of an impact for me to just put a few words on the screen that made the whole theater gasp in unison than it would have to show the deed.

In any event, the misses and I left the theater and she had to use the bathroom. As I waited in the lobby I watched everyone leaving the theater (we were one of the first ones out) and the looks on everyone's face was the epitome of somber. That movie had a real impact, as few movies do these days. I'm only a critic in my own mind, but I'd give it 4.5/5.0

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Seen the movie last nite. now understand why no one left the theater before the credits where over because of the funeral procession. I read the book twice and only big difference I seen between the 2 was the book went into a lot more detail in his training prior to combat where the movie didn't spend a lot of time in training.

not sure what one poster meant by some parts of the book being hogwash but I am with sandmannd with his opinion on the haters..........

I do think that Bradley Cooper will get Best Actor for this. I don't think it will get best picture but it was definitely a great movie. It's just a lot of story to get into 2hrs and 10min. I wish there would've been a little time spent on the background of training an missions, etc. But it wasn't really about that. It was more about his personal struggle and the movie did a great job conveying that. In the end, you don't go to be entertained, you go to pay respect and learn about an extraordinary man.

Quote:
“American Sniper” is now the number one domestic grossing war movie of all-time.

Not adjusted for inflation, Clint Eastwood’s biopic has, thus far, earned $217.1 million at the box office, passing Steven Spielberg’s “Saving Private Ryan,” which raked in $216.5 million when it was released in 1998, The Wrap reported.

The Iraq War drama, which tells the story of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, is expected to continue breaking records. According to CNBC, it’s on pace to become the biggest domestic R-rated movie of all-time, potentially passing “The Passion of the Christ.”

“American Sniper,” which starts Bradley Cooper as the most deadly sniper in American history, has been nominated for six Academy Awards.

I Seen the movie last nite. now understand why no one left the theater before the credits where over because of the funeral procession. I read the book twice and only big difference I seen between the 2 was the book went into a lot more detail in his training prior to combat where the movie didn't spend a lot of time in training.

not sure what one poster meant by some parts of the book being hogwash but I am with sandmannd with his opinion on the haters..........

Some who have checked the stories about him shooting the guys trying to jack his truck, or sniping from the top of the superdome during Katrina were unable to find any evidence that those incidents actually happened. And the jury found that the story about Jesse wasn't exactly true either.

I just got done reading the book. I'll probably go see the movie but I'm sure it won't measure up to the book. I agree that Kyle was a hero just like all our other service men and women but no more or no less. I don't think Kyle's story is as unique as most think it is. I'm watching a series on the History channel right now about snipers and there are several former snipers on there telling stories that are exactly like the stories Kyle tells in the book. Kyle's life experiences were definitely unique compared to the average person but compared to another SEAL or Marine sniper serving in Iraq I don't think his story is all that unique.

Quote:
I don't think Kyle's story is as unique as most think it is. I'm watching a series on the History channel right now about snipers and there are several former snipers on there telling stories that are exactly like the stories Kyle tells in the book. Kyle's life experiences were definitely unique compared to the average person but compared to another SEAL or Marine sniper serving in Iraq I don't think his story is all that unique.

I agree, there are quite a few stories out there about others that didn't feel the need to share their intimate details. With Kyle's book deal and movie he was part soldier and part promoter in my book, whereas others chose to just soldiers.

Soldier

Jesse tell some whoppers too. Must be a SEAL trait. Oh, Jesse wasn't really a SEAL now was he?

Jesse wasn't a SEAL? You better ask other Navy SEALs if that's true.

If you think his designation should be UDT and that he has not earned the title of SEAL, try telling that to the UDT WWii veterans who swam ashore ahead of the D-day landing.

Quote:
7 heinous lies “American Sniper” is telling America

The Clint Eastwood film suggests Chris Kyle was haunted by his actions in Iraq. The truth is more unsettling

The film American Sniper, based on the story of the late Navy Seal Chris Kyle, is a box office hit, setting records for an R-rated film released in January. Yet the film, the autobiography of the same name, and the reputation of Chris Kyle are all built on a set of half-truths, myths and outright lies that Hollywood didn’t see fit to clear up.

Here are seven lies about Chris Kyle and the story that director Clint Eastwood is telling:

1. The Film Suggests the Iraq War Was In Response To 9/11: One way to get audiences to unambiguously support Kyle’s actions in the film is to believe he’s there to avenge the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The movie cuts from Kyle watching footage of the attacks to him serving in Iraq, implying there is some link between the two.

2. The Film Invents a Terrorist Sniper Who Works For Multiple Opposing Factions: Kyle’s primary antagonist in the film is a sniper named Mustafa. Mustafa is mentioned in a single paragraph in Kyle’s book, but the movie blows him up into an ever-present figure and Syrian Olympic medal winner who fights for both Sunni insurgents in Fallujah and the Shia Madhi army.

3. The Film Portrays Chris Kyle as Tormented By His Actions: Multiple scenes in the movie portray Kyle as haunted by his service. One of the film’s earliest reviews praised it for showing the “emotional torment of so many military men and women.” But that torment is completely absent from the book the film is based on. In the book, Kyle refers to everyone he fought as “savage, despicable” evil. He writes, “I only wish I had killed more.” He also writes, “I loved what I did. I still do. If circumstances were different – if my family didn’t need me – I’d be back in a heartbeat. I’m not lying or exaggerating to say it was fun. I had the time of my life being a SEAL.” On an appearance on Conan O’Brien’s show he laughs about accidentally shooting an Iraqi insurgent. He once told a military investigator that he doesn’t “shoot people with Korans. I’d like to, but I don’t.”

ADVERTISEMENT

4. The Real Chris Kyle Made Up A Story About Killing Dozens of People In Post-Katrina New Orleans: Kyle claimed that he killed 30 people in the chaos of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, a story Louisiana writer Jarvis DeBerry calls “preposterous.” It shows the sort of mentality post-war Kyle had, but the claim doesn’t appear in the film.

5. The Real Chris Kyle Fabricated A Story About Killing Two Men Who Tried To Carjack Him In Texas: Kyle told numerous people a story about killing two alleged carjackers in Texas. Reporters tried repeatedly to verify this claim, but no evidence of it exists.

6. Chris Kyle Was Successfully Sued For Lying About the Former Governor of Minnesota: Kyle alleged that former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura defamed Navy SEALs and got into a fight with him at a local bar. Ventura successfully sued Kyle for the passage in his book, and a jury awarded him $1.845 million.

7. Chris Kyle’s Family Claimed He Donated His Book Proceeds To Veterans’ Charity, But He Kept Most Of The Profits: The National Review debunks the claim that all proceeds of his book went to veterans’ charities. Around 2 percent – $52,000 – went to the charities while the Kyles pocketed $3 million.

Although the movie is an initial box office hit, there is a growing backlashagainst its simplistic portrayal of the war and misleading take on Kyle’s character. This backlash has reportedly spread among members of the Academy of Motion Picture of Arts and Sciences, which could threaten the film’s shot at racking up Oscars.

Quote:
Zaid Jilani is an American blogger and campaigner for the Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC), which is also known as BoldProgressives.org. Born and raised in Georgia to parents of Pakistani origin, he attended the University of Georgia, where he helped found its first progressive newspaper. Prior to working for PCCC, he was a blogger for ThinkProgress, a blog for the Center for American Progress. In 2011, he had been working as a campaigner for the Democrats. He is a frequent writer for a number of outlets including Salon, The Huffington Post, and The Nation.

No agenda there.

DERP

I don't believe Kyle Lee's mother was very happy as how he was portrait in the movie. She herself said many things weren't actual and some was made to glorify the main character, which is part of movie making.

Start with the title and go from there. "Heinous Lies" Really?

I get it, you're just butthurt that Chris Kyle knocked your hero's chicklets out of his arrogant pie hole (deservedly there is little doubt) and that the country thinks your little buddy is a kook (which again there is little doubt). Meanwhile Kyle is a celebrated military hero getting all the attention. Well, maybe if Ventura did something besides ride a desk during his years of service they'd make a movie about him too...

Start with the title and go from there. "Heinous Lies" Really?

I get it, you're just butthurt that Chris Kyle knocked your hero's chicklets out of his arrogant pie hole (deservedly there is little doubt) and that the country thinks your little buddy is a kook (which again there is little doubt). Meanwhile Kyle is a celebrated military hero getting all the attention. Well, maybe if Ventura did something besides ride a desk during his years of service they'd make a movie about him too...

I'm going to go ahead and assume you didn't bother to read the book. The fact that you still believe anything Chris Kyle said let alone the incident that was proven in court to have never happened proves that you are one of those low information types you so fondly speak of.

I think it's a no brainer. ...their both a couple of liars. You guys say kyle was but we all know ventura was in politics. ...so he has to be.

But Jesse was not a Republican or Democrat so it's not as certain that he is a liar.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you didn't bother to read the book. The fact that you still believe anything Chris Kyle said let alone the incident that was proven in court to have never happened proves that you are one of those low information types you so fondly speak of.

And you'd be wrong.