• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teddy Bridgewater

klecker

You mean like the game he had against the Steelers where he had more passing yards than Teddy has ever had in a single game or the game against a common opponent (49ers) where he put up more yards and more TD's than Teddy did?

You mean like in a game where they were absolutely crushed so they had to play from behind which meant pass the ball more?

Instead of crediting Seahawks defense, Vikings should blame QB Teddy Bridgewater

Originally published December 6, 2015 at 3:25 pm Updated December 6, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Bruce Irvin takes a swipe at the throwing arm of Minnesota quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, forcing a fumble that the Vikings would recover on the 18-yard line with just over 4 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter. (Dean Rutz/The Seattle Times)Bruce Irvin takes a swipe at the throwing arm of Minnesota quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, forcing a fumble that the Vikings would recover on the 18-yard line with just over 4 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter. (Dean Rutz/The Seattle Times)

There are plays to be made against Seattle; Bridgewater and his receivers couldn’t find them.

SECTION SPONSOR
Minneapolis Star Tribune

MINNEAPOLIS — Near the end of the first half, with their team in mid-embarrassment, Vikings fans began chanting Teddy Bridgewater’s first name. They sounded enthusiastic. But then, it’s difficult to chant a question mark.

With Bridgewater at the helm, the Vikings’ offense Sunday gave new meaning to the team’s Saturday-morning gatherings, known as “The Donut Club.’’ Facing a defense that gave up 30 points at home the previous week, the Vikings’ offense produced zero points in a 38-7 loss, its only touchdown coming on a kickoff return that Cordarrelle Patterson might still be celebrating.

Patterson was so happy to cut Seattle’s lead to 28 points he might have asked where Adrian Peterson rented that camel.

The Seahawks stacked the line of scrimmage, playing only one safety deep, as is their custom. They dared the Vikings to run through them or pass over them. The Vikings accomplished neither.

That’s Bridgewater’s fault. He spent last December proving he could carry an NFL offense. He spent the first Sunday of this December demonstrating an alarming regression.

The operational theory for most observers this summer was that Bridgewater would thrive because of Peterson’s presence. Instead, the knowledge that the offense revolves around Peterson has turned Bridgewater into an overly cautious game manager instead of the confident passer he proved to be under less advantageous circumstances at the end of his rookie season.

During the last five games of the 2014 season, Bridgewater played without an established running back, a star receiver or a solid offensive line, yet he completed 72 percent of his passes for 1,230 yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions.

He looked then like a franchise quarterback. On Sunday, he looked like Christian Ponder. Bridgewater completed 17 of 28 passes for 118 yards and an interception, proving generally accurate but unproductive.

His interception was the result of a simple overthrow, and his longest completion against a team daring him to throw deep was 25 yards. He frequently double-pumps or hesitates when he has a receiver open. He favors short, risk-free throws that do nothing to stretch or challenge a defense.

It would be easy to credit Seattle’s defense, but the Seahawks have given up 30 points three times this season and 20 points another three times. There are plays to be made against Seattle; Bridgewater and his receivers couldn’t find them.

The last four games of the 2014 season, Bridgewater had completions of at least 40 yards. Over the past five weeks, he’s had one completion of 40 yards or more.

There is a saying among those who build guitars: “Everything affects everything.’’ Translation: Changing one component could alter the way an instrument sounds, or functions, even if the new component is superior. Peterson’s return has made the Vikings a better team but has not had the desired effect on Bridgewater. Instead of capitalizing on defenses obsessed with Peterson, he has become obsessed with avoiding mistakes.

At this stage of his development, Bridgewater needs to be less like Ponder circa 2012 and more like Brett Favre circa forever. He needs to throw with confidence downfield. He needs to attack.

I recently reviewed all of the Vikings’ offensive plays this season. What I saw was a quarterback determined not to make a mistake. That led to him scrambling frequently, throwing the ball out of bounds, and overthrowing receivers deep.

Bridgewater’s caution has helped the Vikings beat lesser teams. It has also hurt them on the big stage. You don’t beat good teams with 5-yard passes.

I asked Vikings coach Mike Zimmer if he was concerned about Bridgewater.

“No,’’ he said. “I don’t think so.’’ He didn’t sound convincing.

Optically, Bridgewater did not benefit from sharing a field with Russell Wilson on Sunday. Wilson is Bridgewater’s antithesis. He craves big plays.

Wilson threw a 53-yard touchdown pass on the play after his long touchdown run was called back.

He swings for the fences. Too often, Bridgewater is content to bunt.

For the most part I'll give Teddy a passing grade but he's still got a long way to go before I'd call him our franchise QB.  At times he'll look very good. He'll lead receivers giving them a chance to actually run after the catch, we've seen him put some balls into tight spots, he's elusive in the pocket and can run when he needs to, and he seems to have the composure needed as a QB.  However, he still holds on to the ball too long, takes some bad sacks, miss fires on throws he should make, and hasn't shown the ability to put that dagger in a team at a big moment.

Right now its hard to get a feel for what issues stem from Teddy himself and what are byproducts of having a dreadful o-line. But its equally hard to know what positives we see out of Teddy are a byproduct of teams gearing up to stop AP leaving the secondary easier to pick apart. 

At the very least he's the best option we've had come through here in a while.  From day one he showed more than Ponder ever did.  It will be interesting to see where he's able to go from here.  I think he still has potential to be a very good QB but he's not there yet and you never know where he may plateau.  If what we see right now is his peak then I'm worried for the future.

All I know is that we are 8-5 right now with Teddy.  I think most of us who are Viking fans have been honest here and said that Teddy is not where we want him to be.  The offensive line is certainly not there period on a consistant basis.  These news reporters can flip the bird at a player or a team for a good write up, however there will be a time when that reporter will have to eat a bird [Crow].    Teddy has good coaches now and I think everything will work out over time with future drafts and signings.  We are 8-5 and that's progress.  good luck.

Not that I can recall. In every game where the Vikings have been blown out the entire offense looked terrible as in couldn't move the ball period.

That's my point exactly. He's been in blow out games where it would be expected they would get pass happy just like the one you are referring to but he hasn't responded with those kind of numbers.

Right now its hard to get a feel for what issues stem from Teddy himself and what are byproducts of having a dreadful o-line.

If the o-line is so dreadful, how is AP having a banner year? 

All I know is that we are 8-5 right now with Teddy.  

All I know is Ponder was 10-6 in his 2nd year...............:whistle:

If the o-line is so dreadful, how is AP having a banner year? 

Run blocking does not equal pass blocking.  From what I've seen they are ranked around 10th in run blocking but in the bottom 5 for pass protection. 

Edited by nofishfisherman

Run blocking does not equal pass blocking.  From what I've seen they are ranked around 10th in run blocking but in the bottom 5 for pass protection. 

Is it possible they could be rated bottom 5 for pass protection because the quarterback hold on to the ball too long?

Could be.  That's why I posted earlier that its hard to tell what issues stem from the line or what issues are truly owned by Teddy.

Just looking for a debate aren't you Dave.

This!

Its almost like the chicken or the egg. Is our pass protection inept because Teddy hangs on to the ball too long? Do our play designs require long developing plays requiring lengthy pass protection and Teddy holding onto the ball?

There is an awful lot of short passes in our play calls, but those are not the ones with the issues. Its the longer plays with the breakdowns in coverage, but who is at fault? I think its a combination of guys not getting open and Teddy holding the ball too long. On some plays its more one than the other, but overall I think both happen the majority of the time.

One criticism I have of Teddy is he doesn't make his progressions quick enough sometimes. The good thing is he does seem to go through them, but he needs to speed that up. Internal clock needs to be a step faster.

We are not going to find out how good a QB Teddy is until Peterson is gone. You are not going to be a passing QB if you are only throwing on 2nd and 3rd downs and everyone in the stadium and at home knows you are going to be throwing. But Teddy does protect the ball pretty well, I do know that your team can't score if you throw INT's. Do we want him to be better? Of course we do but it takes time. NFL is or has been moving into a passing game, Peterson in a way is a dinosaur, Excellent runner, poor receiver and a terrible blocker. You are seeing backs in the league who can run/catch and block for a third of the price. Diggs might turn into something, just think of the numbers he might be able to see if the ball was thrown on first down!

Although their strength of schedule is higher than Carolina, Arizona, and Green Bay. I guess those teams records shouldn't mean as much either than right?

Wins and losses are the measuring stick, and you know that, but it's clear that denial is creeping in the further the season has progressed.  

The Vikings lost to the best teams on their schedule so they have essentially proven nothing except that they are still striving for, and achieving, that coveted level of mediocrity that Minnesota fans cherish.

Well done. Mission Accomplished. 

Diggs might turn into something, just think of the numbers he might be able to see if the ball was thrown on first down!

Just think if his QB could throw more than 5 yards and make decisions that aren't timed with a sun dial.

We are not going to find out how good a QB Teddy is until Peterson is gone. You are not going to be a passing QB if you are only throwing on 2nd and 3rd downs and everyone in the stadium and at home knows you are going to be throwing.

Favre seemed to do OK with Peterson.

Come on Dave, that's a stretch comparing Favre at the time to Teddy in his second year.  Favre could have made a difference regardless who's team he joined up with then.  He {Favre] will be one of the greatest QB's of all time, something that will be  a rare honor in all of NFL history.  You do not earn that in two years in the NFL.  good luck.

Come on Dave, that's a stretch comparing Favre at the time to Teddy in his second year.  Favre could have made a difference regardless who's team he joined up with then. 

LOL, Tell the NY Jets that. It's not like Favre was in the prime of his career, even the Packers considered him to be washed up.

Besides, my intent was not to compare Teddy to Favre but to illustrate the fact that a QB could thrive in an environment with Peterson and an O-line that was not considered very good.

He {Favre] will be one of the greatest QB's of all time, something that will be  a rare honor in all of NFL history.  

You are right about this though. Usually this is something that most die-hard Vikings fans are too obtuse to admit.

1-2-3-throw.

-4-5-throw ain't cutting it.

Exactly. Anything over 3 seconds is considered holding the ball way too long in the NFL.

Dave the Jets had more problems the year Favre was with them, but still had a 9-7 record.  The first 3 years that Favre started with the Packers he had a 8-5 [didn't play all the games], 9-7 and 9-7.  So he didn't exactly tear up the league those years but showed the promise of his greatness.  Then in his fourth year he was [or should I say his team, for it is a team sport], 11-5, fifth 13-3, and 6th 13-3.  He had bumps in the road just like any great QB in his 20 years, but will be, as I said, one of the greatest of all time.  With the Vikings in the 2009-2010 season he took the Vikings to the division champs and then lost to the Saints to that tough loss in the Conference championships in OT 31 to 28.  So he wasn't washed up at all.  I believe in his last year with the VIkings he didn't play the entire season and played injured part of the way.  This is why I say comparing Teddy to Favre is way too premature at this time.  I don't know if Teddy will compare to Favre at any time.  Will he be a good starting QB in the coming years?  You or I can't decide that at this stage at all.  Good Luck.

Dave the Jets had more problems the year Favre was with them, but still had a 9-7 record.  The first 3 years that Favre started with the Packers he had a 8-5 [didn't play all the games], 9-7 and 9-7.  So he didn't exactly tear up the league those years but showed the promise of his greatness.  Then in his fourth year he was [or should I say his team, for it is a team sport], 11-5, fifth 13-3, and 6th 13-3.  He had bumps in the road just like any great QB in his 20 years, but will be, as I said, one of the greatest of all time.  With the Vikings in the 2009-2010 season he took the Vikings to the division champs and then lost to the Saints to that tough loss in the Conference championships in OT 31 to 28.  So he wasn't washed up at all.  I believe in his last year with the VIkings he didn't play the entire season and played injured part of the way.  This is why I say comparing Teddy to Favre is way too premature at this time.  I don't know if Teddy will compare to Favre at any time.  Will he be a good starting QB in the coming years?  You or I can't decide that at this stage at all.  Good Luck.

You must have missed the part where I explained to you that I was not comparing Favre to Bridgewater. There is no comparison anyway. One is a hall of famer and the other will be a backup for some team in a couple of years just like T-Jack.

"Favre seemed to do OK with Peterson".   Dave said.  In regards to Teddy having problems adjusting to having Peterson.  So who were you comparing Favre too?   BHGuy,  Yes it's true that our QB's haven't been the best lately but I think it's too early to say that Teddy will be like the rest.  He could be worse, or he may be a good QB once this coaching staff get all the players they need in that offensive line which is important to any QB's success.  The team is 8-5 and could very well go into the playoffs.  Even then there will be some that will be critical of the VIkings.  Should they be stopped there I'm sure our football guru's will pound the Vikings for choking at critical games.  But then again that's part of the game and results of games that make these threads fun for the back and forth.  Personally, I think with this coaching staff and a no nonsense coach, this Viking team will be more successful than the teams we had now for years.  good luck.