• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild Offseason

archerystud

Bummed about iginla. Would have liked to see him on a one or two year deal.

I'm satisfied with the vanek number and duration. Our power play got an instant boost.

I do like the sound of: (maybe swap koivu with granlund though)

Parise , koivu, coyle

Vanek, granlund, pomminville

Fontaine, Haula, nino

Mitchell signed with Florida. Man, did Florida make some serious signings today!!! They were busy.

I cannot get over some of these contracts. Stoner $13M? Moulson 4 yrs $20M, the Spezza deal, wow!!! They are crazy high.

I would have liked the number for Vanek to be a bit lower, maybe $6M, but I am OK with it.

Next moves/changes:

Trade Zucker, Brodziak, Backstrom (if possible)

Get Right handed big DMan (???), 3rd Line forward. We need a bruiser yet.

Cough Cough how about Bertuzzi? Ouch, did I just say that?

The Wild have $13.4M Cap space left after Vanek. They gave qualifying offers to Nino, Kuemper, Zucker, Fontaine. Let's say those guys all sign for half that (could be high), that leaves $6.7M (probably want to hold back $700K for other moves up and down during season) to spend on other folks not counting any potential trades.

We should be able to fill the last two needs I see for that. Question is, who is out there?? If there is no one that fits the system/team then hold on to the cash and wait it out.

Here's my line prediction:

Parise-Granlund-Pomminville

Vanek-Koivu-Coyle

Nino-Haula-Cooke

Veilleux-Broadziak-Fontaine

Zucker as a floater.

I wish we had McCormick centering the 4th line. He brought great energy. We need a big body now that Stoner was grossly overpaid by Anaheim.

Good for Stoner. He went from being a rotated out D-man to pretty much being set for life now. He was a great in the playoffs and I'm sure that had a lot to do with his contract.

Word on the street in Buffalo was Vanek and Pommers were awesome together, throw Granlund in between and watch the magic happen! Nothing wrong with Koivu there either, might be interesting to see Granlund with Parise and Coyle too. Heck any combination will be fun to watch and we still have plenty of pieces to put together a heck of a 3rd line as well.

Good for Stoner on that contract but spendy for the ducks, yikes for Mitchell at 4.25, glad we didn't bite on that one. If we can't find anyone else it will be a good year to see if Blum, Dumba, or Folin can play, if not we can always pick up a D in a trade or at the deadline. Love this team right now!!!

Man, a barrel of monkeys has nothing on 30 NHL GMs on the first day of free agency eh? Wow. Some crazy deals yesterday.

Some head scratchers too. Pouliot to the Oil for $4M a year? Really? They guy's good for a point every third game, and a bonehead penalty every third shift... Miller at $6M/year in Vancouver? Didn't they just get out of an overpaid aging goalie mess?

Wild played it smart yesterday I thought. Vanek is a great addition at a reasonable term and manageable money. To put in in perspective, he's getting $1m/year LESS than we were paying Heately... If they'd have had to go 5-6 years at those dollars I'd have said no way. But 3 years is great. He apparently turned down another huge offer from the Islanders to come here. As if the Isles fans didn't hate us enough for the Nino for Cal trade.

Too bad they missed on Mitchell, but for $4.25M/year I'm glad they didn't bite. But they do need a physical D with Stoner gone. Be interesting to see if they go the trade route. The FA D-men left aren't anything to get excited about that's for sure.

And good on Stoner for taking the deal with the Ducks. Seemed liked he was nothing but a good soldier for the Wild, but that's crazy money for a 3rd pair D who plays 12-13 minutes a night.

Our division was already maybe the toughest in hockey. Yesterday it added Richards, Vanek, Iginla, Hemsky, Spezza, and Stansy jumped from one team to another within the division.

Man o man is the Central going to be a brutally tough division next year. Yeesh.