• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New pup coming soon

Lunker

My wife and I decided to add lab #2 this year. We currently have a 5 yo male yellow and wanted a male black. We found a litter we were interested in and after meeting the parents and owners decided it was right. He is 5 weeks, less than 3 weeks until pick-up.

Our yellow was named Willie before we adopted him, so I chose Waylon as a name for this guy.

full-178-40957-climbing.jpg

full-178-40958-perch.jpg

Thanks. Our older gets along with everybody and everything so it hasn't been a problem. Kind of indifferent at this stage. Gets a bit annoyed when the pup bites his ears. But otherwise it's okay, allows him to climb on him and sleep next to him without complaint.

10+ weeks and growing fast. He and my yellow are now inseparable. He already knows come, sit, and down. Still trying to master the house broken part, but he is getting better every day.

full-178-42575-10weeks.jpg

I miss that puppy stage already. My guy is going to be 2 in April.

More than anything, more than the commands, just remember he's a baby. Don't push him too hard!!! There's plenty of time for training.

He looks like a keeper to me, Lunker!!!

Swell looking little dog. After about 15 of them I can say we have never had a problem with a senior dog rejecting a puppie-maybe at first for a few days.

As far as early training: don't push too hard. Funny thing, but they will sometimes seem very precosious when very young and then seem to forget it a couple months later.?! Then you start the real thing. I always start right off with "come" and the dogs name and maybe a "sit" and "out" when I put dog out. Then ease up for a week before adding another command. But everybody has their way of doing things but I believe we would all agree on notleaning on that little guy too hard. They are ALL different and ALL wonderful and loyal pals. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice , and no I'm not pushing him. About 5 minutes twice a day treat "training" for the basics, and some time chasing a pheasant wing around. It's been a long time since I've had a pup, and they sure are fun, besides requiring constant supervision so he doesn't chew everything he can find.

Waylon and Willie, and no it wasn't posed

full-178-42678-dogs.jpg

I hope I didn't sound to preachy. I think I was thinking more about how I am/was with my pups...always wanting them to do something too quickly instead of just letting them be a puppy for awhile!!! Sometimes hard to do!!!

Have fun and enjoy the heck out of both of "Ebony and Ivory"!

Dang but I do have a soft spot for puppies and grandkids. To me they are both great to have around but even better, they go back home to their parents. But of course first I get to ruff house with them and spoil them some. Puppies are always great to be around and I don't think there are many people who can resist giving a pat and a rub to a puppy. A fine looking pup there.

4 1/2 months. I was slightly worried about the delayed intro to water due to winter...no worries needed, he is a lab after all. Went from unsure about stepping into the water to making dummy retrieves in about 2 minutes. It helps that our older dog can show him how. He weighed in at 40 lbs at 4 months so he's going to be a biggun.

full-178-44366-pa040402.jpg

full-178-44367-pa040403.jpg

Just be careful with the cold water at this age you don't want to end up with a sour water attitude, and it can happen, Even with my older finished dogs I don't put them in the water temp is around 50 deg. in the spring, yah I know there hunting dogs and they hunt in cold water but when your trainng or putting pressure on them it's a different ball game, I personally would lay off the water untill it is very comfortable for the pup, no need to rush it you have alot of summer left..

His first hunt. Did not go great as far as action, and spent most of the time trying to control him, but good to be out with him. For now my elder will be my morning hunter and him the evening hunter, easier to work with in the daylight. A week shy of 11 months old.

full-178-50361-image.jpg

Okay,

I have a new pup coming home tomorrow that I have adopted from the Animal Humaine Society of MN. She will be 9 weeks old and is a lab/retriever mix. This is my first dog, let alone my first pet. She will become at some point, my hunting buddy.

My question(s) are:

1.) What will be a good time to start training her to become familiar with the idea of hunting, I hunt mostly upland birds, no waterfowl. Good age, toys, training wings, etc.

2.) Without breaking the bank, any good classes or books to follow up on for ideas? I would love the satisfaction of doing the training myself.

I am sure I could think of a bunch more questions, but I have no idea where to start. I am looking for her to be able to hold her own for a hunter who hunts recreationally.

Thanks!

Phil