• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New pup coming soon

Lunker

The old Water Dog by Richard Wolters has been the foundation of many dogs trained by us Amateurs. Just because it's old doesn't mean it still doesn't work. He's an entertaining writer too and is pretty practical.

I agree have read it a couple times myself, but they used to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together as well, some things have evolved over time for the better and retriever training is one of them..

Phil, I'm sure Todd is right, but in your case the old Dick Wolters book might be all you need. Easy to acquire and understand and it will provide a nice companion/hunter. If the dog gives indications of curiosity, grabs things and carries them around, pays attention to birds in the air and on the ground that will give you an idea whether it will hunt. When you have had the puppy for a couple months pay attention to how IT pays attention to YOU. Does it watch you when you are out with it. Is it attentive when you speak to it?

Get on his wave length and you're half way home.

Well, two nights into the new pup and so far so good! By no means am I an expert, but with only an accident or two so far in the house and many successful trips outdoors, we are on our way. Thanks for the input on the reading/books. Sounds like there are more than a few options out there! I'll keep you posted and get a picture up, they are so darn fun/cute. They sure do sleep a lot! If we can just get some snow on the ground and get rid of the muddy grass, we can go have some fun outside!

Thanks,

Phil

He has such a love for the water, even compared to my older lab. Brought him down to the launch yesterday for the first time this year and he swam circles for 10 minutes before we did retrieves.

full-178-54509-img_20150331_151243288.jp

full-178-54510-img_20150331_151827325~2.

full-178-54511-img_20150331_151720005~2.