• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you could make one change......

Coach1310

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Create more deer zones. That way the designation of lottery, managed, or intensive could accurately reflect the habitat and deer numbers. For example, I do most of my hunting in 277 and 283, in both zones you have good deer habitat and lots of deer in the northern portions and big black farmland and low deer numbers in the southern portions - so they make the whole zone lottery. frown

To Summarize what has been posted... and I will mention if you put two or three things in I tried to pick your most passionate and I consolidated a few categories because there were so many.

No Party Hunting 4 votes

APR/Buck Age rest 4 votes

Gun Season Later 3 votes

Buck Lotto/Earn A 2 votes

Adjust zones/limits 2 votes

All of the following only had one vote:

Lottery for All Tags

Baiting

One License for all seasons no matter the weapon

More Special hunts

Deer drives illegal on public land

Choose one gun season

Standard punishment for violations

Recover habitat lost

No APR

I guess to me this kind of proves to me HOW DIFFICULT IT IS to make decisions if you are the DNR. In my opinion they have to keep hunters happy so they buy licenses and continue to hunt and also make sure they manage the herd as best they can and I do believe in that order, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for all who took the time to answer.

You bag a buck you tag the buck season over. Not well lets put Jenny's tag on him so I can drill my 2nd or 3rd of the season, she's heading back to the cities Sunday anyway so get her over here so I can keep at it and muzzleload or bow later, send her a text. If she gets one tomorrow haha under my breathe I'd tag hers. Well ya'll done deal I'm back to my heated box stand for opening evening like nothing happened this morning. Then the next seldomly used tag gets used etc. and etc. You bag a buck season done, save a few for the future or let other party members choose what stand to hunt since you already were successful, go sit with them even, without a gun. I think this would be APR in a way without the name, you have that forky opening day at 8AM and you may make the decision to end your season or let him walk to extend it.

Explain please? So people that don't have their own land would make the rules then?

What I'm saying is the people who I hear most talk about wanting APR and no party hunting have a prime piece of hunting land they get to go every year. Enjoy what you have and leave the rest of us alone.

If you post your private land, you can not hunt public land.

I see many who keep their hidey holes private for their "buck" season, only to fill their doe tags on overhunted public land.

I agree with shorting the bow season. With today's bows no need to have a 100+ day season.

Yeah, ummm, gun hunters killed almost 156,000 deer last year. Bowhunters? Just over 21,000. Yeah, lets shorten their season.

What's with the never ending push to limit people in hunting opportunities? crazy Good Lord!

Be glad we CAN hunt and enjoy the time in the woods. Quit feeding the anti's more ammo to get the support to shut down our passion.

The more you limit people, the less license sales... the less licenses sales, the less opportunities/management of natural resources, and less support for hunting. The more of a push to turn hunting away from food and more towards a trophy hunt, the less support from the folks on the fence.

THINK PEOPLE!

Achery harvest constitutes 10-15% of the total deer harvest. What exactly will shortening the season accomplish?

We were typing at the same time DonBo!

To stir up you archery guys who feel the need to shorten the season of all other hunting types.

So archery consists of 10% of the harvest...And their effective shooting range is significantly less than all other hunting methods...Not to mention there are likely less of you, and archery are generally independent hunters...It's no squat that you'll only shoot 10% of what others shoot. Do you want to limit the gun seasons to the point that their harvest equals that of archery?

If so...Then you just find guys like me, who buy every license, and hunt all of them if necessary...More time in the woods, same limit of deer..What's the difference?

Shooting a deer with a bow is actually quite cool and i throughly enjoyed my first archery hunt last year...But i don't get why the archery group acts so entitled - again it could be because they often hunt as individuals and thus narrow minded.