• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dish Network

BartmanMN

Well my 24 month contract is up with DirecTV and our bill is high, they will work with me and give me offers for 12 months, then it will be high for the last 12 and I would need to call back to play the game.

I could go back to DISH network for cheap right now, which pains me since they really pi55ed me off 2 years ago which made me switch to DirecTV.

Do people out there still use Dish network, how has it been. If they are still offering the refer a friend option, PM me what I need to give them and I'll try to hook one of you up if I go that route. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I may just drop TV service for the Summer and then pick somehting up in the Fall. Not sure.

I just switched from Dish to Directv after being with Dish for 4 years because they kept pulling dump with my billing and then when my receiver crashed they wantend me to pay $110 for a new one or sign another 2 year contract to get one for free so I chose to switch and not deal with them anymore! To be honest I think the only way to do it is to switch providers every time after your contract is up!!

im in the exact opposite boat, have Dish and ready to jump back to Cable or go Direct.

I haven't even tried to play the bluff game and say I am leaving or ask what they are willing to do to keep me yet. I tried to bluff with the cable company 2 years ago and they let me go with out offering any incentive to stay.

As for Dish I have been pleasantly surprised with the service and really don't have any complaints. Rarely lose service but it happens usually during a thunderstorm. We also have a ton of kids shows etc on the DVR that has been great for our kids. I would hate to lose everything we have stockpiled on there but I know we could easily get by on Netflix etc. until we got some more stuff recorded again.

We change between Dish and Directv every couple years when they refuse to give us a better rate after the promotion ends. It is a hassle, but I refuse to pay more for tv when the competition will give me a better rate. We currently have Dish and so far so good. I would guess that once the promotion ends, I'll be looking to go back to Directv again. It's funny because we switched to Dish about six months ago and within a couple days of cancelling, Directv was already calling me trying to offer me a better deal! And they continued to call weekly for a month or more! They were a day late... grin

So I spoke with DirecTV and they are willing to shave $30 off my bill for 12 months and an additional $5 off for 3 months. They will let me upgrade to the Genie DVR, give me movie channels for 3 months, and NFL ticket for 2013 season. This sounds like a pretty decent deal, but then I am stuck at full price for the 2nd twelve months. She said I would need to call back at that time to see what is being offered to get additional discounts at that time. I really hate playing these games. I was so fed up with Dish Network when they lied to me about the FSN problem, that it would pain me to go back to them. I am tempted to take the offer with Directv, but I am still on the fence. I suppose I could just cancel Directv and let them crawl back to me to see if I could get an even better option.

I also play the Dish/DirecTV game-I've even paid a 2 month penalty for leaving early to save money in the long run. Currently with Dish and pretty happy. I'll PM you my number if you decide to go with them. Thanks

these companies are a pain!!! I am in the same boat. Found out I am not under a contract currently with Dish but am sick of paying $106 a month for TV. Soon I get to play the fun what can you do for me game!!!

Trouble with all the switching is the deals are not what they use to be.

Use to get the price guarantee for 24 months and now 12 months.

I begged Direct TV to give me a better deal before I left and went back to Dish, they so no so I switched.

Weels later, they call with a better deal than what they offered me when I left.

I told them if they would have given me the current deal at the get go, I would have signed up again.

It's all a big game and to get the best price, one must play it or pay a higher fee.

Kinda like the landline phone deals of years ago, I was switching all the time to get the best deal.

Seems the phone deals are all but gone and I would guess Dish and Direct will get together soon and then no deals for anyo09ne, it's only a matter of time.

I am going to switch to local Media-com cable in 4 months when my Direct TV contract is out. That's only if I can get all the channels I want, I could care less about all the movie channels and the other 50 channels I never watch.

Bartman,

If your contract is up or going to be up you can just go on a month/month basis with Directv. That's what I've done.....think I'm on 6-7 years with them now. Just call every so often to see if they can offer any discounts on your bill. That's what I do and it works out well. Also, I bought both of my DVR receivers on hsolist so I don't pay the extra $10 a month in rental fees for that also. And they were cool to offer me free DVR service. And if all else fails call again, not every CS rep is the same and you may get a cool one.

Just got off the phone with DirecTV. I did not upgrade my DVR to the Genie machine, so I did not need to get into a 24 month contract.

I signed a 1 year extension with the discounts that I listed on my previous post. I feel good about this price and will do it again in 12 months.

Time to record some movies and NFL ticket won't suck either. smile

If you guys want to really stick it to them just cut the cord. Its been 2 years since I paid a cable bill and I am loving it. I got a digital antenna and Netflix and it cost me $8 a month. Bought a cheap laptop and run my tv off of it, desktop computer in the basement is connect to the other tv.

Its not for everyone and there is an adjustment period but overall I waist far less time cruising channels trying to find something I really don't want to watch anyway. Basically online everything is on demand so you watch what you want when you want, and of course no commercials. However you might have to put up with a 10 second ad here or there.

The only major issue is getting all your sports but if you look around you can find streams or online subscriptions and still save a ton of $$$ on cable.

I’ve heard the battle about all these companies and the problem is they all get what they want. You just think there giving you a great deal but they are making it up some way. I have heard horror stories about direct TV’s prices shooting up after their promotion period. I have Dish (live outside of town) and my bill was 20 bucks for their cheapest package after the promotion and a little 5 dollar raise last year with tax my bill is around 35 bucks. Gets us a few extra channels and don’t have to dork around with the no service with the new box thing they have you get. Overall I’m satisfied, granted we don’t have 1 million channels but enough to watch for a rainy day. As for service its only ben out 3 times in 3 years can’t complain with that either.

I am going to switch to local Media-com cable in 4 months when my Direct TV contract is out. That's only if I can get all the channels I want, I could care less about all the movie channels and the other 50 channels I never watch.

I'd be surprised if they're offering channels a la carte, if that's what you mean by not having the movie channels and other stuff you don't watch.

I have DirecTV at my house (switched from Dish) and have Dish at my cabin (along with satellite internet through Wild Blue). While both provide TV programming, in my opinion DirectTV has way better equipment and signal. The HD signal is better and the DVR technology blows Dish's away. Both companies have good introuctory pricing and then jack up the pricing for year 2. If you always want the lowest cost, you need to make frequently provider changes. When faced with losing you to a competitor, they will make some pricing concessions to keep you if you make the phone call. However those concessions won't get you to the price the other provider is offering. Unfortunately it is just the nature of the TV business.

Gave dish the boot yesterday. Already fed up with having issues with a contract dispute with our local fox affiliate and dish that resulted in no football this year and then my service started acting up. Would work fine and then be horrible to completely un watchable. Checked and did all the obvious things to fix even called tech support. They determined a visit from a tech was needed. When they told me the soonest they could get to me was 8 days I said that was unacceptable. They wouldn't budge or offer me anything for lack service.

Yes I understand with the holidays etc a wait but I figured this was their way to prove to me how much they valued me as a customer and apparently that was making me pay for service they couldn't provide and offered no incentive for my troubles during my down time.

They didn't even try to keep me when I mentioned I would like to cancel they transferred me to an account advisor who I figured would try to sway or offer me something to keep me from leaving and all they did was say your account is now canceled.

Gonna use the hd antenna and netflix and never look back. See ya later dish!

Also, I bought both of my DVR receivers on hsolist so I don't pay the extra $10 a month in rental fees for that also.
is this true? I had asked about this in the past and they told me its a "monthly" access charge per TV regardless if I lease a receiver or not. I have a pile of old DirecTV receivers and would certainly do that if it weretrue. Does it have to be a store purchased one or can it be DirecTV?

After making me frustrated enough to cancel my account, Dish is now going to bill me to return equipment they were happy to ship for free when I signed up?

Why they can ship replacement equipment at no charge, I can ship back busted equipment at no charge, but the minute I stop my service, they want to suddenly charge for shipping?

Anyone know how to get out paying that? is it worth the time and effort to package them myself and send them via other means?

Well Dish, I am out the door thanks for the kick in the behind on my way out.

Tell them if they want it, come get it. It wasn't shipped to you. Pretty sure there are service guys in their daym ugly vans running all over town. Quick stop for them. Or, just tell them if they insist it's shipped back to them, they can provide a box, and they'll be charged 37 dollars shipping and handling.

So much of this stuff happens because people just allow it to happen. What are they going to do? Shut off your service?????

I just canceled Dish myself. They will send you the box, and a return shipping label, if you use the return shipping label, they charge you $17. But you are free to use what ever shipping method you want to, if you can find someone to ship it back for less then $17

I chose to just pay the $17 for the convenience of slapping on the label.

What I dont like, is I was bundled with the local phone company Frontier, all I have of theirs is the stupid cable modem, they just send me a bill for $650, and say it is for the un returned modem, when they receive the modem, they will give me a credit back. No address where to ship it, no phone number, just a bill for $650

Frontier will give you the info for the return Scott, just ask. They do make it diffucult but they will give you what you need.

Thats why I finally went with everything to Media Com. No contracts and my prices are the best they have ever been.

No more Dish or Direct and thier contract games.

Tell them if they want it, come get it. It wasn't shipped to you. Pretty sure there are service guys in their daym ugly vans running all over town. Quick stop for them. Or, just tell them if they insist it's shipped back to them, they can provide a box, and they'll be charged 37 dollars shipping and handling.

So much of this stuff happens because people just allow it to happen. What are they going to do? Shut off your service?????

Yes, they can make ones life miserable. If you want a bad item on your credit report, one can play games with them but YOU will lose in the end one way or another.

Then you could have a hit on your CR and that would be far worse than the games they play.

Most times, when you sign your contract with the service provider, it states in that contract ones rights anjd they have every avenue covered as far as returns and who pays.

After making me frustrated enough to cancel my account, Dish is now going to bill me to return equipment they were happy to ship for free when I signed up?

Why they can ship replacement equipment at no charge, I can ship back busted equipment at no charge, but the minute I stop my service, they want to suddenly charge for shipping?

Anyone know how to get out paying that? is it worth the time and effort to package them myself and send them via other means?

Well Dish, I am out the door thanks for the kick in the behind on my way out.

Look at the fine print in your contract with them and you will see how they can charge you, it more than likely will state in the contract you signed that you are responsible for all return fee's. for equipment.