• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I had a guy give me about 2 dozen last year while turkey hunting and they absolutly fantastic. I live in s.w minn. and wondering If and where to look for them here. They have to be here also right? Sure be nice to have a idea where to start to look in the woods. Are they in wet and damp area's around dead elm trees or where do you start to look? Thanks 57

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone post a picture of a black morel?? I am going to be up by remer later this week. What should I look for clearings and swamps??
full-27051-33377-images.jpg

It maybe a little early up there yet.

Should be able to find them up there if you're in money spots. IN northern MN look for poplar/aspen stands, clear cuts, burns... They are finding okay numbers in DL and Vergas, Fergus Falls, etc... I would think Remer would have popped.

SW MN, look for dead or dying elms. Period.

I own 40 acres that was select cut 3 winters ago for the poplar and aspen. Just bought it last fall. would that be a good spot? Also have a spot down the road that was clear cut about 5 years ago. Well last year theey came in with a big cat and dozed all the new regrowth. Wondering if that would work?? Never found a shroom up north, but I would sure love to get a pound or two.

I finally found a few small ones in the Big Lake area lastnight, but I decided to leave them for another day or two so they can get a little bit bigger. Anyone know how fast they grow? I suppose it all depends on the weather and temps.?

full-26490-33378-image.jpg

Leroy, what type of terrain did you find those in? See a lot of oak leaves, were there elm around? Similar to others, don't really find any around here. Don't really know the right spots to look either though, and not many elms. Will try some aspenish swamp areas as Matt mentioned.

I finally found a few small ones in the Big Lake area lastnight, but I decided to leave them for another day or two so they can get a little bit bigger. Anyone know how fast they grow? I suppose it all depends on the weather and temps.?

full-26490-33378-image.jpg

You can tell if a shroom is done growing by how wide the folds open up. The ones in your pick do look like they just popped up. I have let some sit for a day or two and most of the time they didn't get much bigger then the way I had found them the first day. They can pop up in one day and be full size. Once my spots get going I check them just about evert day and have found new ones up right in the same area I had picked others the day before. wink

Thanks for the information everyone! Pushbutton, the area I found these in is 99% oak trees with a few small dead elms mixed in, these are about 50-60 feet away from a small dead elm there were a bunch more in this small area but I only posted this one pic. It's also on the bottom of a south facing hill in a lower swampy area. Hope this helps! This is only the 2nd year I have looked for morels so I've still got a lot to learn, this forum has been a great learning tool!

Only checked a couple of spots tonight before work. Found about 20-30 small guys I left alone. All on mounds and mossy/loamy soil. Found nothing emerging from the leaf litter yet. A week from now I'd guess we'll be in full flush mode!

full-1826-33390-980194_10201043150183017

Here is what I can report on size/growth this year.

I found 40-60 "micro" morels on Saturday, 5/18. These were just emerging, tight grooves, averaging about 1/2 inch tall caps. Picked a dozen of the biggest just to get a taste.

We got rain overnight so I went back 24 hours later on Sunday, 5/19. Most of them had grown, about doubled in size. I picked another three dozen that were now 1-1.5 inches tall. The relatively small grooves made cleaning them very difficult (I was glad I left more to continue growing).

Visited the same spot Wednesday, 5/22 and found further growth. I picked two more dozen that were 2-3 inches tall. These cleaned up perfectly. Many of these were harvested from clumps I found the first day so I know these continued to grow over time and weren't new shrooms.

There are still a couple dozen left that I am hoping to pick this weekend, if someone else doesn't find them first.

Went out today few hours in Anoka and another few in Big Lake. Did not find any but I did find a strange big white mass of fungis growing on a stump looked like a big white blob with black edging was solid white on inside. not sure what it was so i left it. Leroy you fnd any more in Big lake area? This is my second year still havent found one yet.

That's a fresh and very nice pheasant's back... I couldn't have left that sitting!

Picked a bunch today with my son, left a pile of them to pillage over the weekend. Things are coming together!!!