• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Dad's Gun

blackdog1101

I recently became the owner of my Dad's Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 ga., 2 3/4", full choke, with a vented rib. To the best of my recollection he got this gun in about 1970, so that would make it 43 years old. He was a die hard duck hunter, and this was his duck gun. Sadly, he died when he was 44, in 1986; I was 23. This gun has sat in the basement of the house I grew up in since then, which my brother now owns. Fortuitously for me, my brother shoots left handed, so he never used this gun. When my son was picked for the mentored turkey hunt, I arranged with my brother to ship it out to me.

Having sat in a basement in a gun rack standing against the wall for close to 30 years, the gun has surprisingly little rust. There is a little pitting where the breach meets the stock, but otherwise it was just a bit of surface rust. I cleaned it with oiled rags, a green 3M pad, and oiled pipe cleaners. I think it came out pretty well.

To me, this is what a gun is supposed to look like - figured walnut with checkering, and blued steel. I know the synthetic stocks and laminated stocks are more stable, and stainless steel barrels don't rust, but to me they just aren't as pretty.

Sorry the picture isn't better, I'm not sure how to photograph a long gun like this.

Rem870_zps78b2fe22.jpg

Just a word of caution - it is not advisable to shoot steel through a full choke gun. It most likely will produce a terrible pattern. Chance are that it wouldn't harm a quality gun like that but you may want to avoid that. You may be able to find a barrel that has a modified choke and that would work well.

Absolutely correct Tom7227. DO NOT SHOOT STEEL OR HEVISHOT THROUGH THAT BARREL!!!

That gun is one fine work of art and IMO would be best kept that way. Hard shot such as steel doesn't compress like softer shot (lead) and will damage the barrel.

No point in damaging your fathers gift by shooting steel through a fixed choke.

Great looking gun and as has been said do not shoot steel thru it but if you really want to use it for duck hunting take it to a gunsmith and have a screw in choke installed in it. It is the best way to enjoy that beautiful gun.

I bought an 870 on sale in the mid-70's, same configuration. Was able to sort through the boxes & pick the stock with the prettiest grain. Looks like your Dad might've done the same thing. Enjoy your Dad's well preserved 870! smile

I'm glad you finally got around to doing something with it. You mean to say you and your bro just let it languish in the basement for 27 years? Shame on both of you. Hopefully your son will gain a higher respect and attachment for those small pieces of his heritage. I wish HIM the best with it.

I'm glad you finally got around to doing something with it. You mean to say you and your bro just let it languish in the basement for 27 years? Shame on both of you. Hopefully your son will gain a higher respect and attachment for those small pieces of his heritage. I wish HIM the best with it.

Wow...kinda harsh.

Great gun. Hope you and your family enjoy it!

Beautiful firearm. I'm glad you got reunited with it after all these years.

When my father passed, there was no "inheritance" but each sibling became the recipient of one of his guns. Among them- A Model 12 Winchester 12 GA from the 1920's or 30's, a german WWII service .25 cal Walther pistol, a Winchester Model 1890 .22 short rifle-not sure what year but very old, a Marlin .35 cal lever action rifle from the 1950's, an old Ruger .22 long, and a side-by-side 20 GA shotgun from the 1950's(can't remember the make at the moment).

I have very fond memories of each of these items, and I know each of my brothers does as well. It's good to see these passed on as family treasures/tools. I know I still hunt with the gun I received.

Thanks for sharing

What barrel choke would you guys recommend for trap shooting with this gun with steel shot? I belong to a club worth a trap range, I want to learn how to trap shoot this year. The club requires steel shot due to nearby wetlands.

Blackdog, I have the identical gun from 1978. About 1985 I took it to a competant gunsmith. Had the stock shortened to fit me better, cut the barrel to 22", installed screw in choke tubes and turned it into a 3" mag.I use improved cylinder for grouse and ducks and switch to modified/improved for trap or grouse later in the season when they are getting up farther out. That gun is my go-to always and would never part with it.

You will have to go with modified or improved cylinder. Question really is how are you going to get there. If you have screw in chokes installed you can have whatever chokes you want. If you are going to try and find a new/used barrel you may have to take what you can get.

I am a bit old fashioned and I think it doesn't really matter which choke you use. The purpose behind trap is to get you hitting the target solid. The practice you get will make you a better shot in the field. If you work on your stance and your lead you'll be hitting them and the better you will get.

Guess that I would consider finding a different place to shoot. A couple boxes of steel could put a serious dent in the after shooting beer kitty.

What barrel choke would you guys recommend for trap shooting with this gun with steel shot? I belong to a club worth a trap range, I want to learn how to trap shoot this year. The club requires steel shot due to nearby wetlands.

I would use the same choke I would use for my hunting needs. With the steel I would hunt with a mod choke so that is what I would use at the range.