• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lil Ripper and other Eco Boost guys?

Ok you have had them awhile now what are your thoughts. Curious how you gas mileage has been especially during the colder months.

I started looking again this last week. Numbers are pretty close to make a deal work on my 2011 chev you all remember me grumbling about on here because of gas mileage. It hasnt changed in the year I have had it now. Given I have put 25K on it in the year I have had it even 2-3 mpg more would make it worth it in the long run. Just wish Ford had a 100K warranty.

mabr,

I've got 22,000 on my 2011 FX4 Ecoboost and am still impressed by the gas mileage, more so when towing but excellent without as well. Went up to Mille Lacs yesterday and got 21 mpg up and back averaging 65 mph. Have had zero problems so far and feel this is the best F150 I've owned.

They are nice. Fuel mileage per vehicle has a lot of variables. My wife driving her fusion and me driving it is about 8 mpg difference. I get better then she does. You can buy a powertrain warrantee. Check around they aren't that bad.

We have a couple guys that have the ecoboost for work trucks and complain that they are getting 16-17 not pulling anything but the trucks are loaded to the top and have a 2 5/16 in ball on the back. We run them for 20-30 miles and they are at 20mpg still loaded with all their stuff.

I think that is pretty good. I will be getting one before I retire in the next year or so.

I love the truck. 49,000 miles, no problems. My overall mpg is close to 19, including towing. Summer tanks are 20+, winter tanks are 17+ with a mix of city/highway. All highway creeps up to around 23 depending on speed. Over 70 drops quick. Never had an empty tank under 16.

Towing is where this truck really shines. The torque curve is absolutely perfect. I rarely go over 2,800rpms, and almost never downshift. The V8s would be spinning 4,000+ hunting for a gear. 17mpg towing the boat. 9mpg towing the fish house loaded up.

I have a lifetime powertrain warranty through Morrie's. i get sick of trucks after two years, but I'm running this one to the end. Hoping for 300k!

Even if you were to get a consistent and solid 5 MPG better, over 20,000 miles at 3.20 a gallon it will save you barely a thousand dollars a year. Add to that the depreciation on the truck you have and the premium price you'll pay on the new ecoboost and it will take more than a few years to break even.

Add anything heavy to it (Skid, Camper, or heavy wheel house) and you wish you had a RAM! Dont get me wrong...chevy has the re-sale,ford has the MPG, but if you want a truck go with a RAM hands down!maybe even toyota for that matter...dont buy into the name, test drive em all

I dont care about re-sale, MPG.. i want a truck that will perform like a TRUCK is supposed too! This coming from a previous chevy/gmc owner and family that owns chevy/ford.

Like Lip Ripper, I bought the Chevy with the intent to keep it for a good long while, ive never traded anything under 120K in my life. My decision to by GM brand was made up when I compared the warranty between the 2 brands. Plus ford couldn't touch the deal I got when I bought. There was almost 3k difference between comparable packages.

But if i can get close to 18 mpg based on driving the same miles in a year instead of the 13 I get now In my mind in the long run it will be worth it especially if i keep it like previous trucks. $1,600 per year just on gas. I'm aware of the loss on trade in but after looking at it on paper It isnt as bad as I thought.

Plus i need to help keep the economy running LOL. It still isnt a done deal. Ive done some research on the eco boost as well. Seams alot of Ford owners have had the exact same issues with there Eco's as I have had with my chevy (bad MPG)

Eyehead, Dont know what it is about the Dodges but they just dont feel right to me. Ive tried, my middle boy has one and I just dont like they way they feel sitting in them.

As far as power, Thats one thing i give this chevy, its got some ba--s more than any ford ive ever owned.

I don't pay much attention to mileage posts. It's all in how you drive, with any vehicle, but especially with the Ecoboost. You're pushing a lot of air (and fuel) through the motor when the turbos are spinning. I'm a little over 4mpg better than my old 5.4l's, and it seems like twice the power. I don't have a single bad thing to say about the truck.

I'd hate to see you trade and end up getting only slightly better mileage. I asked my neighbor with a 2011 Eco and he said his best ever was 20 but he is impressed with the power compared to his past Fords.

I cant understand what is causing your disappointing mileage with your Chevy though. Everyone I know that has a 5.3 is getting mid teens at worst and my buddy with the 2012 is getting near 20. Shoot, I rarely get less than 16 with my 04 Avalanche although pulling 2 sleds or 2 wheelers will drop it to 11 or 12.

As a new ecoboost owner(3500 miles) I haven't seen the amazing mileage yet, but it is steadily improving. Right now average city driving is 15mpg for me with 19mpg for highway trips. I've noticed very little drop with the winter weather, leass than 1mpg.

As far as whether or not its a "good truck" or can handle a load, its as solid as any truck I've ever owned. I traded in an '05 F350 powerstroke for my ecoboost. Of course it handles and drives nicer than my 1-ton, but it performs on par when hooked to my 5000lb camper, a 2place atv trailer or loaded down with hunting gear. I got 11mpg when towing the camper up north for winter storage.

The back seat is gigantic on the crew cab. I'm 6' and 200lbs and I have almost of foot of leg room. The tow mirrors are huge (almost too big), but are perfect for towing the big trailers and it gets around in the parking lots a whole lot nicer than my super duty.

Love my 2012 Eco-boost! Just got back driving 500 plus miles to the Brainerd Jaycees Ice Fishing tourney and back and man i love that truck!

The back seat is huge! Plenty of room for our 2 month old in the car seat!

12,000 miles and no problems

As far as power, Thats one thing i give this chevy, its got some ba--s more than any ford ive ever owned.

Which Chevy engine? The 5.3L is the weakest V8 (in terms of HP - 323, excluding the ancient base 4.8L) currently on the market. That's the part of the equation missing from this conversation, the Ecoboost has good MPG and HP. The Hemi would probably be the second best all around engine in those terms, and then the 6.2L Chevy, 5.0L Ford or the Toyota 5.7L.

You are correct in saying that generally it isn't worth it to trade up for a small MPG bump, as generally most people won't make up the cost difference unless they put on a ton of miles. However if you were going to purchase a new truck regardless, then it could be worth it, depending on the deal. Chevy is putting a ton of money on the hood of their trucks right now, as sales have dropped and they have a new truck + engines debuting next year.

Its the 5.3L All star edition, with 6 speed auto, trailering package, 3.42 rear axle. Id post the MSRP sticker if i could figure out how to attach a pdf file.

Weve been through this before on here. Everyone says its how i drive it. I dont agree, my good friend has the same truck and he cant make his get under 18 and others have said the same thing.

I can get close to what it says if i baby the pi- - out of it but that aint happening on a regular basis for me.

Its the 5.3L All star edition, with 6 speed auto, trailering package, 3.42 rear axle. Id post the MSRP sticker if i could figure out how to attach a pdf file.

Weve been through this before on here. Everyone says its how i drive it. I dont agree, my good friend has the same truck and he cant make his get under 18 and others have said the same thing.

I can get close to what it says if i baby the pi- - out of it but that aint happening on a regular basis for me.

The point that is ignored here, is that even if its getting comparable MPG's to the EB, its still down 40HP and 85Lbs/Ft TQ. There's a reason GM is coming out with a new smallblock next year - to catch up.

Now, as I mentioned above, if the HP isn't a big deal, then take the Chevy with all incentives on the hood right now. Again, as I mentioned above, most people will never make up the difference in MPG's over the lower cost/incentives.

Give it to me for a week and I bet you I can get it under 18. winkgrin

Give it to me for a week and I bet you I can get it under 18. winkgrin

BYW I see allot of Eco Boost trucks will low tread on the right rear tire, havent figured out why yet,whistle, but I don't mind selling new tires under 30K.

Limited slip will slip on turns, that is the reason for the limited slip, if it was posy, it would bind on turns.

A not so technical way of testing it, park one tire on ice, the other on tar, and take off, do both tires spin? or are you stuck on the ice? Another way is to jack up the truck in the back, leave it in park, rotate one of the rear tires by hand, does the tire turn hard, or does it rotate freely?

We took a 2013 EcoBoost out west snowmobiling a couple weeks ago. Pulled a 28 foot all aluminium enclosed v front trailer 80 mph, 4 guys, 4 sleds and gear, averaged 9.2 MPG. Not bad considering my Duramax usually gets about 7.5 - 8 doing the same, 2011 Hemi we had on the trip a couple years ago was lucky to see 5 MPG doing 80 mph with 4 sleds and guys.

That EcoBoost is impressive and I can definetly see one of those in my future, not that I expect it to do the work of the Duramax, theres no comparison when it comes to handling the trailer in the cross wind, that F150 kept you on your toes for sure but that engine / tranny combo and the overall pickup were very nice.

Mike