• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In the market for a new Auger

bassNspear

Can never go wrong with the company in big lake. I love my auger and has had minimal issues. I have retied the rope a couple times because of a fraying issue at the very end of the rope. Replaced the blades once in 5 years.

I agree, the solo is tough to beat. I just got an Eskimo Z-51 for Christmas, I love how easy it starts, love how it cuts, it cuts just as fast as a Solo IMHO, but it weighs a few pounds more. I like the redesigned handles, and the price is definitely right.

I bought myself a strikemaster electric auger on saturday and used it yesterday i so far i dont have a bad thing to say, NO exhaust, NO choke, flip the switch and push a button. Maybe its not the auger for somebody who drills 20 holes every time they go out but i think it will work great for me.

I have been looking at the Jiffy propane but I am undecided. It costs a little more than most augers but I don't think I will have issues of gasoline leaking out when I lay it flat in my truck. The way the gasoline tanks are mounted on most augers it appears that they will leak if not layed down a certain way during transport. I have a tonneau cover on my truck which will not allow me to lay it on one of the handles and still have room for the cover to be in place.

Good Luck!!

Mike

Here are my experiences with augers.

Jiffy propane. If you do any fishing from a portable this is not the auger for you. Very heavy and if tank is left hooked ip it will leak out. Also has to only sit one way with handle up in air. If any amount of snow gets in tank fitting or hose end auger does not run very well. Easy fix for jiffy is to put a valve in line so tank can be left hooked up.

Strikemaster Honda 4 stroke. Having some issues with throttle.linkage. Have looked at a few and almost have to stand on throttle lever to move. On one I looked at the cable hit the handle so you couldn't even get full throttle.

Strikelite II Seems to be solid auger but needs to be laid only certain ways also.

Strikemaster Solos. This is what I now own. Love the auger cuts like a dream and starts great. Not the biggest fan of the plastic handles but haven't broke them yet. They had early issues with the recoils.

Those are the augers I have had experience with in the last two years

I need more information on the Jiffy Propane from you. Can you lay it on it's side so the handles are flat??? It seems to me that as long as the LP tank is in the up position and the oil fill is up it should be OK. Also, I am not following the inline connection thing. I leave my propane lantern screwed into the bottle and it doesn't ever seem to leak. What am I missing here???

Mike

On my second year with the Jiffy propane and no complaints (I heard all the stories heavy, hoses,leaking and wont start when cold) mine has been good not one issue starts second pull everytime and I never disconnect tank. I started it this morning on URL after sitting outside -12 all night second pull. Maybe is heavier than some but its my third Jiffy and compared to other lifting and tasks associated with fishing not a problem and I'm not young any more. As for fitting under cover on truck I put it between bars and it holds the canvas up a half inch. Really don't miss the gas mixing and leaking. Thats my opinion and experince I know guys with other brands that like them and only bad thing I can say is some won't reopen holes if you use a wheel house the Jiffy always does that well.

Andy

I currently run a NilsMaster and see no need or urge to replace it, light weight, quiet, easy on gas,drills fast, blades are cheap to resharpen and last for several years, industrial grade engine so should last my lifetime... Cons are not good at reopening holesand not good if you have sandy/dirty ice.....I know of several Tanaka motors that are in the 20-30 year old range and usded and abused and still run like new and none have ever been worked on...Also doubles as a great hand auger if you choose and handle is included....

Strikemasters are junk. Plastic handles are worthless. Jiffy are built solid. Maybe heavy but will last. From what I''ve seen on the ice, I'd take an Eskimo over strikemaster.

Only thing strikemaster has over most is light weight (Nils is light but expensive) but then again it's plastic.

Yeah...I own 2 strikemasters as well, Electra lazer and mag2000. There going next year

Strikemasters are junk.

I've had a Strikemaster 2 HP Lazer Mag for over 12 years now. Still starts within 3 pulls every time! I just add fresh gas/oil every year & it's good to go. I can't remember the last time I even changed the spark plug. It ran great today.

Roll the dice... enjoy smile They are all good - put in onon-oxy, a splash of seafoam, and amsoil... and run them like you stole them. Wtih that said, my SM have started easier than my Jiffy, but the jiffy cut ice like a hot knife thru butter... but a heavy knife wink now have a new Solo 3 hp Lazer pro and it cuts better than jiffy, and runs about the same... the mag III SM still starts better and idles better than both Solo and Jiffy Model 30.

They all cut. Good luck.

If yo want a lighter weight auger you have two choices Nils or strike master. Either one of these are your best option anyways. Nils is lightest very compact design for in a house love the strength of the blades, biggest down side is stuff left in holes. Strike master would be the Honda and they are a good all around unit and leave a clean hole, don't matter how you lay them down, no mixing. Those would be my picks. Eskimo Jiffy are good but they are 10 + lbs heavier than what I mentioned.

I bought a Jiffy Propane a couple of days ago. So far I really like it. It starts fast and it's quieter than my old jiffy 30.

CaptH they do recomend you transport it either upright or with the tank and sparkplug up.

Feed back on what I have experienced. Had the old 2cycle Strikemaster......great auger started great, cut great but hated the two cycle smell in the house that lingered forever.

Next I bought the Strikemaster Electra lazer......great auger no more smelly house, cut really good, all around good auger, just didn't like having to remember to charge the battery(also the battery seemed to charge better in warm environment, so would bring it in the house..wife loved that).

Next I bought the Jiffy propane......starts great even in cold environment (5 below), cuts great, no smelly house, and yes its heavy but not a big deal for me, but I have had and used only a hand full of times so time will tell.

Good luck

i dont care about how heavy it is, as i only cut a few holes and im done, but i want to buy something that will last forever. i have been a strike master guy my whole life, but im not married to them. just want to get the best product out there.