• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 MT Public Land DIY elk/muley

Scoot

...tons of action what an exiting hunt or at least your story telling is very good

Ummm... thanks, I think. confused If you're in doubt of the accuracy of any of the story, that's ok by me. However, I'm telling the story as accurately as I'm able (my notes from the trip and memory of the trip aren't perfect). I know Jon and Gabe are following along with this thread- they can chime in and speak to the accuracy of what I've written if they'd like.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoot, I love reading the stories of your adventures. Always makes me feel like I am there with you. I don't think crewjones was dissing you, I took it as if the hunting wasn't as good as it sounds in the story that you are still telling us a great story. Sure sounds like you guys had some great action though. I ma hoping that there is another bull down yet before the end. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!!

I don't think crewjones was dissing you, I took it as if the hunting wasn't as good as it sounds in the story that you are still telling us a great story.

You might be right, jerkbait. I wasn't trying to give a crabby response- my read was that it "wasn't quite as good as it sounds", which may or may not be what he actually meant. I wasn't trying to be defensive, but just felt the need to reply with the fact that I'm being as honest as my memory and notes allow...

...and if the hunt sounds like it was great, then the story accurately reflects our experience! We had a great trip and loved it from start to finish!

Tomorrow is the final chapter in the hunt and we had a unique experience that was pretty cool to us. Maybe something that some won't think is too novel, but something we'd never had anything to do with before. It added to the whole experience nicely...

oh no I think you do a great job creating suspense, much better than a picture of an animal with a 3 line story of the encounter.

I believe this adventure was much more grueling as it sounds, for me its a way to go on a hunt like this w/o having to sleep on the rocks, haul out an animal, and possibly get eaten by something.

hopefully you'll have a deer hunting adventure for us next month

I gotcha, Crew. Like I mentioned- I wasn't trying to be defensive or crabby, but I thought you were giving me a hard time for embellishing the story.

I believe this adventure was much more grueling as it sounds, for me its a way to go on a hunt like this w/o having to sleep on the rocks, haul out an animal, and possibly get eaten by something.

You might be right, jerkbait. I wasn't trying to give a crabby response- my read was that it "wasn't quite as good as it sounds", which may or may not be what he actually meant. I wasn't trying to be defensive, but just felt the need to reply with the fact that I'm being as honest as my memory and notes allow...

You will have to excuse the crabby old man......Something Gabe and I learned early on during this adventure. The only thing he left out was all the sobbing that came from his tent every night, we weren't sure what it was about. grin Just kidding the only whining on the entire trip was me and my feet. The last 2 mornings of the hunt I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through the day or walk off the mountain and have my feet checked out at a "local" clinic. Luckily the infection in my toe seemed to lessen slightly and I was able to handle the pain for a couple more days of hunting.

Thanks to both Gabe and Scott for one of my most memorable hunts ever!!! Also great write up Scott, even though I was on the trip it is fun to relive the memories. Can't wait for the next trip.

Thanks to both Gabe and Scott for one of my most memorable hunts ever!!!... Can't wait for the next trip.

Amen to that! Great trip and I agree- just finished this trip and I can't wait for the next one!!!

I try to wait to the end to post anything on these stories, because I selfishly wish there was no interuptions by posters who aren't telling the story)

LOL- that's funny because I always appreciate the comments as they come in throughout the story. I enjoy the giving and taking of info; the Q&A part of it is kind of fun for me.

Regardless, I appreciate your interest thanks for the comments.

Day 9

The plan was for me to head back to the truck to meet the packers and for Jon and Gabe to go back to the “blowdown bowl” to get the remainder of the meet and the bull’s rack. We all left the truck very early and reached our respective destination points with time to spare.

Jon and Gabe got to the meat with no issue and hauled it all up to the trail. Here are a couple shots of them doing the real work for the day.

Gabepack_zps365c3cfc.jpg

Jonpack_zps0d580bc2.jpg

Back at the truck I managed to lose my camera in the mess just as the packers showed up. I had expected to see a lone cowboy with a spare horse and a mule, but instead I saw four people on horses, a spare horse for me, a mule to haul the elk, and four dogs in tow coming down the trail! I got the dummied down version of “how to ride a horse” (I’ve been on one once) and off we went down trail. The crew was made up of the packer we had contacted, his wife, and a husband/wife duo of friends. They were a hoot! The two gals talked and answered all of my questions while the guys made fun of each other and anything else they had a chance to give a hard time. It was a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining trip out to say the least! I quickly came to like their company and I can’t tell you how welcome their help was. Before long we made our way past our camp and up where the meat had been hung. Soon, Gabe and Jon were greeted by the comical sight of me riding up to them on a horse.

Scotthorse.jpg

The crew went to work loading up the meat on the mule. The carefully put the meat in the panniers so they were evenly balanced on each side.

loadingmule_zps6ae896e8.jpg

Pannier_zps2cf82050.jpg

Muleready_zps69c556f2.jpg

Since they also were going past our camp and we were on the way out they also offered to haul out our camp, since we were going to tear down and head out right away anyway. Wow- we were thrilled by the generous offer and I promise you that you’ve never seen a camp torn down so quickly!

We gave them all of our gear and headed for the truck. Soon they had it all loaded up and passed us along the trail.

Packers1_zps491458c7.jpg

They beat us to the truck and we saw them riding away just as we made it out of the trees near the truck.

Packers_zps573735dc.jpg

Great people! It was a pleasure to meet them and we sure hope we get another chance to visit with them again.

…and that’s how our 2012 MT DIY elk hunt ended. We cleaned up, packed up, and headed home as the sun set on the final chapter of another great adventure. Good trip, great friends, and a wonderful time chasing elk in the mountains- we sure are blessed.

Sunset.jpg

...how much did they charge to pack the elk out and how far did they have to pack it? Thanks!

We had a bit of a mix up, but the packers ended up driving well over 100 miles round trip with their truck/trailer, rode their horses about 5 miles to get to our truck (road was too bad for them to bring their big trailer with the horses down the last 5 miles), over 5 miles one way to the meat, then all that back again to get back to their truck (while dropping off the meat and all of our gear along the way). The cost was $300 for the packer, and when you factor in that it took them the better part of the day to accomplish the task, the cost of gas, the cost of the trailer wear and tear, their time, etc. I'm not sure we paid them enough. For $100/guy, we were extremely happy to pay it at that point in the trip...