• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rhubarb

Since it is getting to be rhubarb time, here is a recipe that is awesome....

Barb's Rhubarb Cake

1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer

4 cups chopped rhubarb

1 cup granulated sugar

1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups

Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer.

Makes

1 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

--

(1 to 18)

Source:

1 ' Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88'

Actually I got it off the rec.food.cooking newsgroup. Barb is a great cook from Minneapolis area.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into greased and floured 9x13' pan.

Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the cake batter.

Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb.

Pour the whipping cream (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rhubarb slush,8 cups cut up rhubarb,8 cups water,3 cups sugar, cook until tender,drain in colander,add half cup lemon juice,1 small pkg strawberry jello,2 cups vodka,freeze in gal. pail,take out whats needed for a glass mix with 7up or gingerale. I usualy keep out the vodka and add to the drink,the slush just freezes harder.The kids really enjoy this on a warm day.

Dear God do I love rhubarb. My wife makes me a strawberry rhubarb pie every year for my birthday. It's only a few weeks away, and my mouth already has a hard time keeping the saliva at bay.

Had enough rhubarb to pick today so I figured I would try this rhubarb cake. I only used 3/4 cup of sugar as it looked like a lot in the pan and it still turned out sweet enough for me. It kind of reverses as it cooks and ends up with cake on top and the rhubarb on the bottom and like a custard sauce. Very tastey and I would definitly make it again. full-27870-20421-001.jpg

WAlleyehooker, you had the same happen to you... good to know I don't just suck at baking! One day I will figure out how to keep the rhubarb in the middle of the cake and not have the custard and filling filled bottom!

WAlleyehooker, you had the same happen to you... good to know I don't just suck at baking! One day I will figure out how to keep the rhubarb in the middle of the cake and not have the custard and filling filled bottom!

That is how that cake is supposed to be. Back in the day they used to make "pudding cakes" that were like that. Problem with hunks of rhubarb is they are sort of sour. I guess if you don't like the cake over gooey custard effect then it is not the cake for you.

Be careful this year making anything with local grown rhubarb. When we had a freeze here in MN a while back it caused the poison in the leaves to actually back up into the stalks that so many of us love! Rhubarb from most retailers is coming from WA unless specified as locally grown.

Be careful this year making anything with local grown rhubarb. When we had a freeze here in MN a while back it caused the poison in the leaves to actually back up into the stalks that so many of us love! Rhubarb from most retailers is coming from WA unless specified as locally grown.

My rhubarb was barely peeking out of the ground when that freeze happened. I live in Rochester. I think this is baloney, but will let you know if I survive the cake.

Since it is getting to be rhubarb time, here is a recipe that is awesome....

Barb's Rhubarb Cake

1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer

4 cups chopped rhubarb

1 cup granulated sugar

1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups

Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer.

Makes

1 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

--

(1 to 18)

Source:

1 ' Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88'

Actually I got it off the rec.food.cooking newsgroup. Barb is a great cook from Minneapolis area.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into greased and floured 9x13' pan.

Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the cake batter.

Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb.

Pour the whipping cream (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We make this all the time during rhubarb season. One change you may want to try is to mix a tablespoon of cinnamon to the sugar before sprinkling on the rhubarb. I started doing this a few years ago. It really adds to an already great dessert.

We made this for mother's day and it was a hit! I will have to try the cinnamon. I bought 4 rhubarb roots at FF today for $8 total. The packages said they could be planted through June in our zone. So I planted them tonight, fertilized and waterered good. And now we wait!

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and when we do a dessert, we try to go low fat/fat free etc. But, we have a bumper crop of rhubarb already so we're using it in lots of stuff. This sounded good, so I printed it out and we made it this past weekend. Oh mama!! This is good stuff. We cooked it a bit longer so the top of the cake was a nice dark brown. Wow. We'll probably make it again for our Father's Day pot luck. Thanks for sharing, and feel free to share more recipes.

My wife made this last night.It was really good.Made a few substitions.

Added Cinnamon and used half and half instead of whipping cream to cut down on the callories.Tasted great.

That is how that cake is supposed to be. Back in the day they used to make "pudding cakes" that were like that. Problem with hunks of rhubarb is they are sort of sour. I guess if you don't like the cake over gooey custard effect then it is not the cake for you.

Never said it wasn't good, just wasn't what I was trying to bake. I have a custard cake recipe for rhubarb, but no matter what type of cake I go for the rhubarb always fell. The other day I made a rhubarb crumble and figured out that flour was the key... Crumble utilized a lot of the same ingredients, but the chunks were scattered instead of complete goo in the bottom of the pan.

No matter what, they all come out delicious!