• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric Fillet Knives...which one?

pikestabber

I just wanted some input on electric fillet knives and what everyone recommends. American Angler? Mister Twister? Rapala? Other? If you had to buy one over again, what would you get and why? What would you avoid and why? I don't care about portability...mainly looking for a 110 unit. Thanks in advance...

I have a Rapala personally..mainly because it was given to me. The only negative I have of it is that the batteries seem to die pretty quickly. I get about 3 fish done and the battery runs down. It came with two batteries though, so one is always charging and it's usually a quick change-out. I do find myself just grabbing my regular knife on occasion, as most times I can do a fish by hand just as quickly.

of the ones you mentioned I have a Mister Twister and a Rapala.

I prefer the rapala because the blades it came with are "pointy" like a regular filet knife. The Mister Twister blades look like bread knives, aka not pointy. No problem with the unit just the blades.

I leave the Rapala hanging outside of our cabin all Spring/Summer under the roof so I don't exactly take care of it real well and it just works every time. I also like that it has a really long cord which makes it easier to use where I use it

I've used the Mister Twister for quite a few years and overall I think it is good for the money. Bought the American Angler kit last year and really like it. It is quite a bit faster than the Mister Twister, and has a higher quality feel to it. I really like having the multiple blade lengths.

We tried the Rapala battery one a few years ago, and we got bad units three tries in a row, so we scrapped that idea. Still using Rapala old school knives smile But I want to try electric. I will go with corded though, as most places we would use it have power.

Not to hijack thread, but do you folks who use electric have any links to video (I can search, if we can't post links in here) on how to actually do it with electric? I cut around ribcage normally with knife, and not sure how the electric "best methods" work - cut through ribcage and then use regular knife to cut out ribcage, or do you use the electric knife for that too? Thanks!

I used my wife's electric carving knife once. Worked the same as my Rapula electric.

I have the 12 VDC Rapula electric. I would not opt for the cordless. When in a remote location, I use my vexilar batery to run it. When 120VAC is available, it has a corded transformer in with the kit. All bases are covered.

BoxMN- We usually cut through the ribcage with the electric and then fillet. I will then take a regular knife and cut the ribcage out of the fillet. Unless you have an electric with pointy end I don't see how effective it will be cutting the ribcage off.

I have an American Angler electric knife that I got for christmas about 6 years ago. I used it once and said the heck with it. I dont know if I just need to practice with it, but I can run through a fish with my regular old Rapala knife in the same amount of time with more precision. Dont get me wrong its a good knife but I just like to go old school I guess.

I've tried the Rapala, American Angler, and Mister Twister. The pointy blades are okay, but certainly not necessary. The problem we have is burning the motors out, which all of them do, which gets expensive. Solution? Cheap electric bread knife. Blades are sharp, they cost less than $10, and they are just as "durable" as the brand-name fillet knives. All of them work. I take out ribcages with a conventional fillet knife.

I have an american angler corded now that i use and like it. I use it to take the rib cage out and everything. Its alot faster once you get the feel of it. I had the rapala cordless but like others mentioned had battery issues but I see this year they went with lithium ion so dont know if they hold up better for them or not???

Walleye 4 Me-agree on the cord issue. Have been considering going to a cordless, with the new Rapala and Berkley lithium ions that have come out this year, but the Mr. Twister is still going strong, so I haven't been real quick to jump on it.

There was an online poll one time and the cheaper corded models like Mister twister got the most votes. Ive been useing the MT for years. I had a Rapala cordless but the batteries didnt hold up very well. Lots of videos on youtube on filleting fish with an electric knife.

Motley i agree completly. i have been using a cheapo Hamilton Beach for a few years and another one still in the box. so what does my brother do? he buy's me a Rapala electric knife all packed in a nice case. well of course i appreciate it but i dont know when i will use it, but i have it. good luck.

Motley i agree completly. i have been using a cheapo Hamilton Beach for a few years and another one still in the box. so what does my brother do? he buy's me a Rapala electric knife all packed in a nice case. well of course i appreciate it but i dont know when i will use it, but i have it. good luck.
Another vote here for that. Look at the Mister Twister one. It just green plastic.outside of that, it is the electric carving knife

I have the Rapala with the AC cord, Battery hookup, or Cigarette lighter and love it. I can clean fish basically anywhere, it has different length blades, and the cord is 12 feet I think. I got it on clearance at wal-mart for $25.