• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shoulder Mounts - Lets see them again

broken line

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Archery Buck From 2005, Bemidji, MN - 133"

078480x640.jpg

Dads Rifle 2008, Carlton, MN - 124"

075480x640.jpg

My Archery 2008, Cambridge, MN - 104"

080640x480.jpg

Dads Rifle 2009, Carlton, MN - 136"

076480x640.jpg

My Archery 2009, Carlton, MN - 124"

074640x480.jpg

Dad Rifle and My Rifle 2010, Carlton, MN - 115" and 104"

079640x480.jpg

My Archery 2011, Carlton, MN - 133" (Coming Soon......)

lungdeflator.

shot him about 2 miles east of lake bemidji. i went to school at BSU 97 - 01. taught a couple of years in the area, then took a job elsewhere. we hunted the area real hard from 97 - 03, then periodically till 06 ish. the bowhunting was second to none in that area as you probably know. by the mid 2000's the refuge had a taken serious hit in deer numbers and buck quality, so we stopped hunting the area. i will never forget some of our hunts back around 99, 2000, 2001. simply unbelievable, we hunted some private as well as state land. what a gold mine that area once was. has it come back yet?? we shot a lot of nice deer in a lot of areas up their.

lungdeflator.

shot him about 2 miles east of lake bemidji. i went to school at BSU 97 - 01. taught a couple of years in the area, then took a job elsewhere. we hunted the area real hard from 97 - 03, then periodically till 06 ish. the bowhunting was second to none in that area as you probably know. by the mid 2000's the refuge had a taken serious hit in deer numbers and buck quality, so we stopped hunting the area. i will never forget some of our hunts back around 99, 2000, 2001. simply unbelievable, we hunted some private as well as state land. what a gold mine that area once was. has it come back yet?? we shot a lot of nice deer in a lot of areas up their.

No, the refuge has not come back yet. It really took a hit when they opened it to gun hunting and the state expanded the number of tags in the area. Also, there have been a couple bad winters mixed in that hurt numbers. Like you, I had great times bow hunting the refuge area a decade ago, but haven't done much since then due to the decline in deer numbers and quality (there are better areas to hunt in the region that have less pressure).

Here is a few pics of our basment. I know it said shoulder mounts, but I was looking at the pics I had on our computer and put them all up. I am getting my 2011 rifle buck done, so hopefully a couple more months.

My wifes first rifle buck 2007

IMG_1322.jpg

My first bow buck 2005. The rack on the left was my 2010 rifle buck. Hard year of hunting.

IMG_0309.jpg

2010 Bow Buck

IMG_0311.jpg

2006 Rifle and a random shed. (I have sheds in every nook and cranny.)

IMG_0310.jpg

I went 3 for 3 one day pheasant hunting, (this guy was the 3rd.) The perch I caught in 2001 and the gill my wife caught a couple years ago on a big hula popper while bass fishing!

IMG_0308.jpg

And my bigger eye 29.5" just over 10lbs. While fishing for bass in MN. Same lake my wife caught the gill on.

IMG_1194-1.jpg

Jumbo that area is probably within a mile or two of my house. I hunted the refuge frequently during high school. But I was just starting out bowhunting and didnt know too much. I shot a 5pt and an 8pt out of there and was thrilled to have the oppurtunity to take them as the first 2 bucks with my bow. I saw one pretty big one the first year I hunted there and that was it. Pretty neat area but really close to town and easily accessible so it gets alot of pressure.