• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Food recommendations

ClownColor

So will the marketing people from an overpriced dog food company who think they know what's best for your dog. If your vet tries to push a certain brand of food then you're going to the wrong vet. Mine certainly won't. I tried to get her to reccommend one initially but she wouldn't. She suggested how to shop for it, what to look for in the ingredients, and so on. And I've read up on other articles by vets on what is and isn't typically beneficial for most dogs. The consensus is much ado about nothing when it comes to the overpriced dog food companies crying foul about fillers and byproducts. And none of these articles push any certain food.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you mean by natural stuff? And I never said corn or rice, etc., which are natural "fillers," were better for your dog than meat if that's what you are implying? But neither are they harmful to most dogs. In fact, they can be good for the active dog in that they can burn the carbs first, saving on the protein in the meat portion of the food. Just like humans. And meat byproducts are not as high quality meat as choice cuts, but its not hooves, horns and roadkill. In fact, the FDA has fairly strict standards about what can be called a byproduct in dog food.

It all comes down to what you think is best for your dog. Some people want to serve up a 5 star meal for their pooch. Others are happy with the three star, and by all accounts, still getting their dog all the nutrition they need.

the cost difference is minimal if you have a hunting dog taking into consideration how much you spend on hunts, licenses and gear

lots of good reads out there on carbs

Quote:
As carnivores, dogs and cats are anatomically adapted to metabolize meat proteins and fats as energy sources — they have absolutely no carbohydrate requirement.

For dogs and cats, carbohydrates are 'empty calories' or simple sugars that provide little nutritional value beyond their controversial energy potential. As cats and dogs are able to get all of the glucose they need from protein and fat, carbohydrates are not needed in their diet.

The over consumption of complex carbohydrates such as corn and rice break down into sugar in the body. Carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels, which create a rise in a hormone secreted by the pancreas called 'insulin' — an action that affects diabetes and obesity. Feelings of hunger and weakness usually follow the rapid rise and fall of blood sugar levels.

As carbohydrate content is seldom claimed on dog and cat food packages, most pet lovers are unaware that their pet's food contains 40% to 50% of carbohydrates — which are inappropriate for dogs or cats and far removed from their natural diets.

after reading the above there is no question that poor pet food is why American pets are the fattest pets on earth

It also begs the question as to why people would buy food that contains stuff that have little to no value for a dogs nutrition needs.

I wouldn't blame it all on the dog food. More or less its all on the owner.

Two scenarios of two labs on the SAME dog food.

Dog 1

He lives outside in a insulated kennel, he indulges on the finer things of live, like the inside of a house, occasional table scraps. In winter he gets fed double what he gets fed in spring, summer and fall. This is to make him a bit more tubby since he is an outside dog. But in spring, summer and fall. His food intake is cut back. He gets fed once a day.

Dog 2 lives in the house. obsesses over food, he gets fed twice a day. He lives in the house 24/7. He is what I call a fireplace dog.

Both dogs are fed the same food, but different amounts.

Dog 1 spends most of his day lounging in the house or outside running around 29 acres being a dog.

dog 2 sleeps all day long, well I guess I do not know what he does as I am at work. But I can assume hes frolicking from couch to love seat to bed to floor to repeat all over.

What I am getting at is the owner is the problem for fatty dogs...

Dog 1 is my dog, dog 2 is my significant others. My dog gets exercise, he hunts, he goes along with me almost every where. He is constantly exercising and has the stamina to run all day long.

Dog 2 sleeps, he might grab a toy, throw it around in the house but after 4 minutes he drops it and goes back to the couch. You can take him for walks, but upon return goes to the couch. When you take him out to play he will run for 10 maybe 15 minutes and then he gets tired and lays down.

So again its owners that create a fat dog problem. If you feed your dog and get them more active they wont get fat. Just like people need to work off calories they intake so do dogs.

THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY REASONS WHY I, NOR ANYONE ELSE SHOULD SERVE THEIR DOGS CORN FILLER GARBAGE LIKE DIAMOND

I'm sure the attorney's from Diamond would love to have a chat with your statement... It is Libel and not factual... from their HSOforum:

Diamond Naturals

Diamond Naturals Uncompromising Quality and Performance, Naturally.

We are proud to offer Diamond Naturals for our customers who value natural diets for their pets—a diet made possible by holistic, all–natural ingredients found inside each Diamond Naturals formula. Each formula is corn–free, soy–free and wheat–free.

Formula Features:

•Antioxidants for overall good health and a strong immune system.

•Animal protein sources for the best amino acid ratio and superior digestibility.

•A blend of omega fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat

•Natural fiber ingredients to help maintain optimal digestion and intestinal health.

•Glucosamine and chondroitin are added to help support healthy joints. *

•DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is added to Diamond Naturals Puppy formulas, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula and Diamond Naturals Active Cat to help promote proper brain and vision development. *

•No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy

* In select formulas only

Water, in the form of steam, is used in the cooking process for dry pet food. Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Pet Food uses a water purification process known as reverse osmosis, which is the same process that many bottled water manufacturers use. In reverse osmosis, water is forced through extremely fine filters, removing microorganisms, organic chemicals, and inorganic chemicals. The end result is purified water, which is then used in the form of steam in the cooking process for Chicken Soup dry pet food.

I've fed Diamond Naturals for 5 years and Diamond for the better part of 20 years. My last Lab lived till 15 1/2 and hunted hard till 12 1/2. Never had a problem with allergies, or any other food related problem. Not one lab in over two dozen and nor my Cocker has EVER had a weight issue. Simply put weight isswues come from over feeding and lack of activity, just like people. I scheduel feed and my dogs are active and they never vary more than a couple of pounds unless they are sick...

I have a friend that only buys organic for their produce. Says all other food we eat is terrible for us. I don't buy into that statement any more than someone spouting that their 60 dollar a bag food is any better for my dog than my $28 a bag food.

To each their own.... use what works for your dogs.

Show me a vet that sells Diamond... My vet says it is a good food...

Good Luck!

Ken

+1 been using Diamond for my last 2 dogs. Brittney went 16 1/2 years Draht is 8. My breeder and his vet recommend the Diamond foods. I used National food before Diamond but it was hard to get.

Mwal

For those that recommend Diamond Dog food are you reommending the Premium or the Maintenance?? I read the labels and the Premium has more calories and says for active dogs. I was thinking the premium during the hunting season and the Maintenance the rest of the year???? Also what are you paying for a 40 lb bag. It is 25$ for a 40 lb at my local store.

So if your store has every variety of Diamond food, which one do you choose for a 1 year old dog that is VERY active?

In my opinion I would feed Diamond Performance or Diamond Natural Extreme Athlete.

Diamond Performance Stats:

Chicken, chicken by-product meal, whole grain ground corn, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried plain beet pulp, fish meal, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, glucosamine*, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein 30.0% Minimum

Crude Fat 20.0% Minimum

Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum

Moisture 10.0% Maximum

Calcium 1.2% Minimum

Phosphorus 0.9% Minimum

Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum

Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum

Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum

Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 3.4% Minimum

Glucosamine not less than 300 mg/kg

Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.6% Minimum

Chondroitin Sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg

Diamond Natural Extreme Athlete

Chicken meal, chicken, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, cracked pearled barley, powdered cellulose, dried plain beet pulp, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum

Crude Fat 25.0% Minimum

Crude Fiber 4.0% Maximum

Moisture 10.0% Maximum

Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum

Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum

Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum

Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 3.5% Minimum

Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.5% Minimum

Glucosamine 300 mg/kg Minimum

Chondroitin Sulfate 100 mg/kg Minimum

And after you compare, there really isn't much difference in the products them self. I was thinking of switching to Diamond Naturals. But now I think I'll stick with just the regular!

Thanks for the ingredient list. It explains why we passed on Diamond. One of our dogs is allergic to chicken. Breaks out in hives really bad.

Fromm has a selection of foods without chicken. We feed our dogs Beef Frittata Veg.

Protein 30% Min

Fat 18% Min

Fiber 3.5% Max

Moisture 10% Max

Not all dogs will do well on the same foods. If you find something that works, is reasonably priced, and is easily found locally for you then stick with it.

Quoting myself here because everyone is always very sensitive on the issue of dog food for some reason, so I just wanted to reiterate the point. Same with people, there is always a lot more involved to a dogs health than just food such as exercise & genetics. My dog eats food with some corn in it shocked and I get lots of compliments on how nice he looks and how muscular he is!

Great feed back and what a thread thus far...

One common theme going around is that just about any dog food can and will do for most dogs.

My original question dealt with some issues my dog was having and this is probably a small percentage of dogs out there so I wanted to follow up.

I switched from beneful to Diamond natural and have been seeing a reduction of sneezing and licking. Way to early to see if It's just the seasons but it seemed to be year long before. No ear infections either but again it's way too early to tell but I will give a follow-up next fall and tell you all if it was just a food allergy. If so, I'm sure any meat/rice switch could work but diamond natural at menards was dirt cheap and good ingredients.

Good to hear. It is all about what's best for YOUR dog. No one food is right for all dogs or always better than another. I was on the Kare 11 site tonight and found an interesing video on the subject by accident. If interested, just head there and type in "High-priced dog foods: Are they worth the money?" in the search field. They interviewed a number of vets. I know, I know, the premium dog food supporters will jump all over this saying either (a) What does a vet know about nutrition? or (B) They're in bed with whatever company is paying them. But in this report, the vets, like my dogs' vet, said to do do you research and find out what's best for your dog, bottom line. What I did find interesting and what I've mentioned before, is how they pointed out that dogs are omnivores and handle grains just fine. In fact, grains are GASP part of a healthy diet. And that these no grain and higher protein scams, schemes, whatever you choose to call them, are just that. In fact, in many cases, some of the higher priced foods contain TOO many proteins and calories (often 3X too much!) which can easily make for a fat, unhealthy dog. Good luck with the Diamond or whatever you use in the future.

I have always been a fan of the Whole Dog Journal, especially for selecting a high quality food. WDJ is much like Consumer Reports in that they don't accept advertising to ensure their reviews are unbiased; their funding comes from their subscriptions. There is a short article on their web site here [Note from Admin: Please read forum rules before posting again. Thank You] that gives a very basic "How to" on selecting a dog food. They also do an annual review of dog foods and have a list of their top rated foods and an explanation of why they were top rated. They do a whole range of articles relating to dogs besides food recommendations.

Thanks for the ingredient list. It explains why we passed on Diamond. One of our dogs is allergic to chicken. Breaks out in hives really bad.

Fromm has a selection of foods without chicken. We feed our dogs Beef Frittata Veg.

Protein 30% Min

Fat 18% Min

Fiber 3.5% Max

Moisture 10% Max

You can also get Naturals in Lamb. I am feeding the Chicken mentioned above. I have very active trial and hunting dogs. I used the Athlete and found that I packed on more muscle with adult. And, they have energy to burn. So I doubt I will use The Athlete again unless I just mix in a little during trials.