• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Food recommendations

ClownColor

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Deer , you are off base on the omnivore thing....Consider what wolves, coyotes, or fox eat....Sure not many grains, but eggs, fowl,mice , deer, rabbits ,squirells, you get the point.
corncob, that is a common misconception. Domesticated Dogs are not wolves, foxs or coyotes. They have been around humans for over 100,000 years and their survival depended on evolving to eat what humans eat.

Dogs are omnivores.

Dogs use fat the way humans use carbohydrates. If the dog gets a lot of exercise, they need more fat and protein. If they lay around a lot, not so much. I knew a sled dog racer once, and he said the best thing he could get for his dogs was beaver meat. But most of them supplement dry dog food with chicken meat and fat when the dogs are running a lot.

Switched from proplan to diamond naturals on my 7 year old lab, did the transition slow. She eats less, goes to the bathroom less and has improved her coat a ton. BTW I adopted her from a guy here on HSO, best thing that has happened to me.

Kettle

Check with competition dog owners and see what they feed , racing greyhounds, sled dogs,and others.....Dry food is fed only as a supplement or convenience food. Various high protein foods such as meat, fish, poultry are fed for high performance needs.The majority of the high quality dog foods today have a number one main ingredient that is beef , chicken,fish lamb , etc . No longer is corn as a main ingredient considered to be appropriate for canine nutrition needs.

I definetally agree with you corncob, lean meat is a great choice. I went to the diamond naturals which is soy free main ingredient is lamb followed by rice and not lamb byproduct. I eventually would like to switch up to Taste of the Wild or Fromm and get her to a completely grain free diet. At 7 years old she is more of a companion for me than a hunting dog. she loves the serta mattress and the lazy-boy chair :-)

Kettle