• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Food recommendations

ClownColor

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently switched my lab to Taste of The Wild Salmon and have noticed that she has been shedding way more than before. She was eating Natives, but I wanted to try something with no grain. I like that the food has made her stool firm and not as smelly when I'm cleaning up. The downside that I've noticed is the excessive shedding and scratching.

Has anyone had this kind of problem when switching food? I never had the problem when we switched to other foods. Could it be the season? She is locked up inside most of the time. Could it be the food? allergic reaction? I'd like to keep her on this food, but if she keeps shedding I will have to switch back. She is a hunting dog and full of energy, so I'm not as worried about that.

My dog doesnt do well with eukanoba, runny, smelly stool. I will either switch her back to Natives or try Diamond for sporting dogs. Native is pretty expensive for a big bad, but it will last her a month and a half.

To just refer to "Diamond" is not complete. Diamond foods can run the whole range. The cheap stuff - the "Maintenance", for example - grades out quite poorly. The Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice, for example, grades out quite high. And yeah, it is more expensive...but you then also have to look at how much you need to feed each day. You will probably find that you need to feed a little less if you get the better quality stuff.

If you only care about your dog enough to seek out the cheapest food you can...well...I guess that would be another discussion.

I recently switched my lab to Taste of The Wild Salmon and have noticed that she has been shedding way more than before. She was eating Natives, but I wanted to try something with no grain. I like that the food has made her stool firm and not as smelly when I'm cleaning up. The downside that I've noticed is the excessive shedding and scratching.

Has anyone had this kind of problem when switching food? I never had the problem when we switched to other foods. Could it be the season? She is locked up inside most of the time. Could it be the food? allergic reaction? I'd like to keep her on this food, but if she keeps shedding I will have to switch back. She is a hunting dog and full of energy, so I'm not as worried about that.

We found the opposite. We have a rescue German Shepherd that had some skin problems, and a lot of itching/scratching. Feeding her Taste of the Wild helped solve a lot of those problems. And yeah, you will find less [PoorWordUsage] because the dog no longer has to [PoorWordUsage] out the fillers and other carp you'll find in the cheap dog foods. Try one of the other TOTW flavors. We found that the roast fowl blend is the one that is best for our dog.

I figure that since she was shedding, i feed her the salmon for the fish oil and maybe that would help with it. It only made it worst. I like the brand, just not what is happening to her. I don't mind spending a little for good food. Maybe we will try a different TOTW instead of the salmon.

It's been about six months since I started this thread and made the switch to Diamonds Natural (chicken) and the dog has had WAY better stools and less scratching. It is also cheaper then the name brand stuff I was buying before. So far I'm happy. This summer will be the big test as that was when my dog had the most ear infections (yeast) but so far..NONE to report.

If you're feeding Diamond products, make sure the check into their recent recall. Their last recall killed hundreds of dogs.

This recall is for the Naturals Lamb formula so I'd get your dog off it as soon as possible.

http://www.huliq.com/10473/diamond-naturals-dog-food-recalled-possible-salmonella-contamination

thanks for the heads up. i think recalls can come from any product at any time as we all know. i will continue to use Diomond dog food however. my pup is doing real well with it. if i had that product i would return it and get another bag with a different code. the article did not mention that this particular batch was shipped to Minnesota but did go to other states. it did say it could of gone to some other states through other methods of distribution. good luck.

If you're feeding Diamond products, make sure the check into their recent recall. Their last recall killed hundreds of dogs.

This recall is for the Naturals Lamb formula so I'd get your dog off it as soon as possible.

http://www.huliq.com/10473/diamond-naturals-dog-food-recalled-possible-salmonella-contamination

Thanks for sharing this! Good info and this is why I like forums. Luckily I'm using chicken.

I'd also be VERY bitter with a company that had cause illness or even death to my dog from a bad batch so I can understand why some feel certain ways from products...but unfortunatly like Reinhard1 stated, it can happen to any company.

The diamond naturals stuff looks good on the ingredient list and as you've all seen here, there are many satisfied customers, however with having 2 very extensive and large recalls on their feed in the past few years, I'd be very concerned about their quality control. It would be too bad if you're feeding their brand and one of your dogs is the first few to come down with an illness before the recall comes out. I personally know the value of my dogs, both as part of my family and monetarily, and there's no way I'd risk it with that company's history. It's not worth saving a few bucks on each bag of feed.

many people have their favorite and stick with them. recalls happen once in awhile to all products, even human foods. naturaly when a recall occurs, pet owners check their product they have and the code and the dates. i believe even this current recall was recalled for "a possibility" of salmonela. good companies recall the product wheather there is a possibility or a definate contamination issue.

good luck.

Gotta be 15 years or so now that I switched away from Diamond due to dog blowing her coat. Ended up being a recall back then with many dead dogs but the info was much slower to get out. Track record is pretty much the same since. Recall and dead dogs every few years or so. No way I'd risk my hounds to that company.

Recalls may happen to all products but they don't happen to all manufacturers.

I could not find any recalls for Fromm foods and they have been in the pet food business since 1904. That's a long track record.

My Brittany does well on PMI Red Flannel feed, which is a farm and fleet brand of dog feed. $25 for a 40 pound bag. Lots of opinions out there, mine is let the dog tell you what works for them and I don't see a need to spend the cash for the trendy feeds.

How about going the natural way and feed raw? I am feeding my american bulldog 100% raw meat: chicken, turkey, pork, beef, lamb, bison, deer, squirrels, rabbits, etc. He's doing great, no to little doggy odor, less shedding, no brushing teeth, no doggy breath, his stools doesn't smell, stools in the yard turn into powder in couple days, etc.

we feed blue buffalo. recalls are like food recalls for us, they happen it is part of the same food chain so it will occur. If you know your dogs habits, you can tell when something is up

we feed blue buffalo. recalls are like food recalls for us, they happen it is part of the same food chain so it will occur. If you know your dogs habits, you can tell when something is up

Blue Buffalo is another excellent, high-quality dog food...