• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reusing a broadhead

jdime

I was fortunate enough last week to put a Rage 2 through a deer. I am surprised at how sharp it is. The black band that held the blades in place is missing.

Anyone reuse these things? Considering how expensive they are, I'd like to.

But the last thing I want to do is botch a shot and lose an animal...

If there is one knock on the Rage, even though it generally puts a great hole thru the animal, is that often some just aren't that sharp when they're new. Now even though you think yours is still sharp I'd be very reluctant to use one again, and that goes for any replaceable blade-type head. But your call, maybe you'll be able to tell us the pros and cons someday.

There are many ways to evaluate the sharpness of a broadhead. Just because you can replace the blades doesn't mean I would. One technique is to runthe balde across your finger nail. If it cuts the nail, I think its sharp enough. You can also prepare the small box with rubber bands stretched across it. Push the broadhead through and if it cuts the rubber bands its good.

I check over the blades and make sure there aren't any nicks or damage to the blade edge. If it seems like it needs to be sharpened I do it, but otherwise I put it back in service. I have shot 3 deer with the same broadhead and all I have done it replace the rubber band and resharpen one blade. It looks great and I'm starting to think its lucky. wink

I'm with archerysniper, I use the very few broadheads that scored as practice heads. I don't want to take a chance when I have the opportunity. The money spent on a new broadhead is good piece of mind for me.

Yeah, I don't want to risk it. I was surprised that there were no nicks or bends in the blade. It entered in rib cage and came out belly. It was embedded in soft dirt.

I'll look into resharpening and/or replacing blades but I am going to err on the side of caution. I still have two more fresh heads and two more tags!

I have used replacement blades with several different heads without any problems. I alwasy try and inspect the heads to make sure there isn't any damage. If they look a little beat up they go into the practice bin. I also use the heads with replacement blades as the backups in my quiver, I rarely get to arrow 2 so arrow 3 & 4 with replacement blades should be fine. If I every get into a deer war zone and need to launch multiple arrows those replacement blades should do the trick.

if it were me it would be garbage. if the ferrule tweeked at all, i mean thousanths of and inch, which may not be seen by the naked eye, it wont open right, if at all. it served its purpose, junk it

Broadheads are stupid expensive these days. I prefer to use heads I can resharpen and shoot again if not badly damaged. Personally I would clean up that used Rage and test it a few times before determining if it should be chucked.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

As an engineer, here is the advice I offer: from the standpoint of the blades, if they are undamaged, are sharp, free of corrosion, then I see no reason not to reuse it. I have just such a blade. It passed through soft tissue on a deer I killed last year and I could not distinguish it from any other Rage in my set. However, resharpening to factory specs would be challenging for the average hunter, as fixures and dressed wheels are used in the factory that most will not have access to. So why not just buy the replacement blades if it concerns you?

I will not reuse a broad head if at all possible, they come in packs of three. Its the one thing above all the truely kills the deer, I want it in as good a shape as possible. I have one rage in my quiver that was used. It still looks sharp, feels sharp, functions right, and doesn't look like there is any bends or nicks in it. But it is now the 4th arrow I would use. As many deer as I shoot with my bow, it should be 4 years before I need to buy another one, but it should work in a pinch if need be.

I went a bought a replacement pack of blades and tips for my Rage 2 blade for around $20.

The others were good yet, all 3 were in or through deer the past couple of years and probably good to go, but for a small expense I know they are Sharp and going to do their job. Peace of Mind kind of thing.

I owe it to the deer to expire them fast and I don't want to tear through a deer, I want to slice through a deer.

JMO