• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie mistake

harvey lee

I have been shooting bows near 40 years.

The other day I purchased a new release and did a bad thing.

I adjusted the release to fit me for the trigger and hooked it up to my bow without an arrow to see if it all felt correct or if I had to adjust the lenght of the release a bit more.

Well, I started to draw it back and boom, I by accident hit the trigger and blew the string of the cams.

Went to the archery shop today and found out I damaged the bottom cam and the string.

I never understood how one could dry fire a bow but here I am waitng for the bill from a stupid mistake.

Anyone else ever done something this lame???

A few years back two days before season I was getting some shooting in and didn't knock my arrow correctly. Arrow fell off the string went to drop my draw bumped my release and blew the string up. Luckily that's all that happened.

Yuck, that's no fun! The first time I ever drew back a compound bow I was about 10 years old. I knew what a dry-fire was and I knew to absolutely not do it. Just when I got past the hump in the draw cycle I lost my grip on the string and dry-fired it! My first draw ever!!!

I was shooting last week next to a guy who's been bowhunting since the 1960's. He came to full draw, aimed, and hit the release... WHAM!!! He forgot put put an arrow in his bow...

I told myself to remember to be aware that this is a new release and that I had to be very careful with my draw to not bump the trigger as it is a smaller release.

Then I still did it and could not believe it.

I guess sometimes sh$t does happen.

Anyone else ever done something this lame???

Nope Harvey, you're all alone. laugh Actually, the first time I shot a release I did not have a wrist sling sling and experienced my first real "surprise" release. My new bow hit the concrete floor on the bottom cam. Not good.

I saw some clown with a ciggrette hanging in the corner of his mouth try and draw and shoot his bow. Interesting things happen when a lit ciggarette hits a fast flight string at full draw. There was a cartoon like exlposion. I was about 15 at the time and just stood there slack jawed looking at him.

Best get it fixed up fast, season is only a couple weeks in ND

Will be done by the weekend.

I typically do not start archery hunting in ND until late Sept or early Oct. Use to start on the opener for years but not anymore.

Even thought I have a bug tamer suit, I do not like dealing with venison in the high 70's or low 80's and the bugs.

I wait till the bugs are gone.

When I first started shooting I would end up punching myself in the face a occasionally when I would try drawing the bow back. I had a bad habit of grabbing the trigger on my release as I would get about halfway back on my draw. I learned really quick not to do that after losing a few "boxing" matches with my bow smile

About 8 years ago I was hunting opening morning on the little ladies family farm and the neighbor a good friend of theirs comes out late parks under the tree next to my tree. I wave he drive off and rushes out to hunt. ON his return two hours later I figured that I will get down. Firt bow then me. As I am getting out of the tree i hear the bow pop. He dried fired my new bow broke the axels, derailed the stringand cracked the limb. The guy looks at me says sorry and takes off. Lucky enought for me the guy had a check sitting at the farm house for me to get a new bow.Nice guy but would never talk to me nod his head and keep going.

"Never a dry fire but let one go at half draw with a arrow on and broke my nose, I'll never do that again or try not to"

I just did that last week, luckily it missed my nose but I wacked my face hard enough to leave a bruise. Man did that hurt and man did I feel stupid. My arrow zooms out into the swamp behind the target never to be seen again.

About 6-7 years ago I was drawing back my bow on a bonus doe and my trigger mechanism came loose from the wrist strap. When it came loose the trigger hit my hand and launched the arrow about 100 yards beyond the doe. The trigger hit me in the nose and I was seeing stars for a little while. Thankfully I fell back into my seat because I don't know if I wore a safety harness back then.

I had used that release for 20 years and it had to let me down when shooting at a deer.

Oh yeah, dry fired my mathews 2 months after I had it. Wrapped the string around the cams, peep sight when blasting off!!!! Only needed a new string fortunately though:) Thought I snapped the limbs at first

Approx 15 years ago I was leaving on a friday for an archery bear hunt and thought Thursday aft I would fling a few more arrows.

I had a new PSE bow and when I drew it back, the arrow went flying and the cable broke.

I called the aechery shop and explained to him what happened and he said bring it down this evening to the shop and I will fix it all on warranty.

left the next day right as planned.

Stupidity confessions...a liberating idea! OK, here's mine grin

Opening night a few years back. Was stoked, couldn't wait to get in the tree. Hooked a rope to my bow and pulled it up. Forgot to take the clipped rope off of the string before drawing back for a practice draw. The clip rolled into the lower cam when I drew, and got lodged in it. Forced the string off the cam when I let down. There I sit in a great spot on opening night and had to bail out to the archery shop to get my bow fixed. Duh...

Stupidity confessions...a liberating idea! OK, here's mine grin

Opening night a few years back. Was stoked, couldn't wait to get in the tree. Hooked a rope to my bow and pulled it up. Forgot to take the clipped rope off of the string before drawing back for a practice draw. The clip rolled into the lower cam when I drew, and got lodged in it. Forced the string off the cam when I let down. There I sit in a great spot on opening night and had to bail out to the archery shop to get my bow fixed. Duh...

NWBuck,

I almost done the exact same thing about two years ago...man that was scary. Was just starting my practice draw like I always do first thing in the stand to make sure everything is working and to make sure nothing is in the way and saw my clip on the lower cam/string.

mr

Some great stuff here

20 years ago I take off to hunt my inlaws cabin about 50 mile north of where I live. I'm all set cabin is warm gear in place so I hit the rack.

About 1 AM I jump up from bed, I forgot my release, so I jump in my truck and drive home.

The look on my wifes face at 230 in the morning when I was pounding on the door was something I wont forget, along with me realease on future hunts

Drove all the way back and made the hunt........

stupid thiungs I have done. Just last year I drove twenty miles south of home for a evening hunt jumped out of the truck changed my boots grabbed my back pack stood there for a moment and then it hit me no bow son of a bummer. went home and had dinner with the family. I have never dry fired my bow knock on wood. went to hang my bow on the holder in my stand a bunch of years back just kinda reached out with my arm never really looked at what I was doing and let go of the grip only to watch my bow fall twenty five feet or so to the rocks below that one cost me a new cam.