• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone ever seen this before?

This was a forward to me though my email thought it was crazy when I got it. Thought I would pass it on to see if anyone else has seen it...

This is a new record Northern Pike in Canada . He caught it on Rainy Lake .

Check this thing out. The man (in the photos below), was fishing and caught a 36' Pike.

As he was reeling it in, a 56' - 55lbs Pike tried to eat it !!!!!

He landed them both in the same net. The last picture is unbelievable.

full-31702-8865-att1.jpg

full-31702-8866-att2.jpg

full-31702-8867-att3.jpg

It's a European pike. They get bigger over there. As stated before, this picture has been going around for a while.

I first saw it about 2 or 3 years ago. It crops up about every 6 months. Definitely did not come from any lakes near Mn.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do pike actually eat other pike?

Yes, this is one of the primary reasons why the easiest way to fix a hammerhandle problem is to have big pike around. Typically though it's 30"+ fish eating 10"-14" fish.

whats with Europe and bigger sub species of fish? Like Zander... looks like a Walleye but they get like twice as big

European primary forage species:

european%20perch%20record.jpg

American Primary forage species

8yellow_t607.jpeg

If the prey gets bigger the predator have to be bigger.

Here we go, round and round, round and round. I also referred to these pics in the thread about a 52" pike caught on Vermillion. Kind of had a feeling they'd show up again. DTRO, care to give us the specifics on these pics again grin

Tunrevir~

When pike and Zander have fatty fish to eat like Trout. They will get bigger plus I think they take better care of there resource across the Pond. They look down at the one who just fishes to fill the ice box.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do pike actually eat other pike?

Yes indeed-y, just about the only thing a small pike has to fear more than a pike bigger than itself is a musky bigger than itself (though I find the muskies chase pike out of territory issues, rather than chasing 'em down for a meal).

There's a guy from the netherlands (goes by Jeep on tackle making forums) who has pretty much perfected an esox-style swimbait, I believe his HSOforum is titled Lucky Lures. Of course, you have to drop three digits for one of his pieces of art with hooks attached. He's got a gallery full of big European pike caught on his small pike-imitating lure.

It's baaaaack....

This set of photos makes the rounds every few years now.

The fish was caught a few years ago (2003 maybe?) on a lake in the Netherlands by an angler named Ewout Blom (I'm not kidding - that's his real name.) Shortly after the fish was caught I received photos from Jan Eggers and corresponded about the fish with Mr Blom. The was just short of 50 inches, and just shy of 40 pounds.

So not caught on Rainy, Lake Winnipeg, or any of several other supposed locations, and not 70 pounds or anywhere close to a new world record. But it is a great big fish.

European pike have a very different growing season than our fish do, ideal water and forage conditions in some locations and just plain get bigger. If you want to see some pike that will REALLY blow your mind, Google 'Baltic Sea pike.' Brackish water pike living in kelp beds eating salmon... It's on my bucket list....

Raise your hand if you haven't seen either of these pics before? Sorry, I bet I've seen all of those pictures at least 20 times now. Can someone over in Europe please start circulating some new pics of new pike?