• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

having your dog cremated

waxworm09

Our 10 year old lab passed away last night from cancer and we are heartbroken over it. We are looking for options on what to do with her. We can't stand the thought of keeping her in the basement freezer until spring, does anyone recommend pet cremation? And is that our only option right now instead of waiting to bury her? We just want to get something done as soon as possible. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it's definitely a tough time to go through.

I'm not sure about down in your area, but the frost isn't near as deep as normal this year because of the snow amounts. A rebar fencepost and a hammer should tell you how deep it is in pretty short order.

Do you have a friend, or friend of a friend, or even a rental place that has a small backhoe?

It might not even be too bad to dig by hand if the frost is shallow enough.

I can't think of any other options besides burial and cremation, and I haven't heard of anybody that has cremated their pet.

sorry for your loss. It's tough to lose a pet.

my parents have had most of their pets cremated, they adopt the abandoned animals that POS people drop off on the rural farm road corner of their property. At times they have had 6 dogs and a couple cats. Cremation is obviously more expensive than digging a hole in the back yard, but it's not that expensive especially if you consider your pet to be part of the family. $150, I think? Where we were having it done, the pet's ashes were returned in a handmade cedar box. My parents spread the ashes in accordance with where they think the dog or cat would have liked to spend eternity.

Sorry I can't offer you suggestions on a place, my parents live out of state. I will say that I would recommend doing it.

We had a 7 year old golden die from cancer a few years ago. We had him cremated. It was about $100 and we got his ashes back in a little box. Once spring rolled around we were able to bury his ashes under his favorite tree. You won't regret doing it!!

very sorry for the loss of your wonderfull dog. we lost both of our golden retrivers within 6 months of each together, they were each 14 years old, brother and sister. very hard on both of us. getting a little teary eyed typing this. we had them both cremated. they put the ashes in a small box. they also had some kind of soft clay were they put their paw print on it and told us just to put it in the oven for a little bit to harden it. still haven't decided were to put the ashes. we are thinking about putting them on a island on a lake we have camped on that they loved to run around on. take care and good luck..

I had my old lab cremated 4 years ago and it was $150.

Not sure how much you believe in symbolism, but it may be worth it to you to spread the ashes in the dog's favorite hunting spot where both of you have some fond memories.

Sorry for your loss.

Like you I lost a dog in winter. I don't remember how much it cost as the vet took care of everything. Check into whether or not the place doing the service cremates one pet at a time or mass cremations. Our vet sent out and assured us it was singular cremation, don't know where. One really nice thing the cremation service did was when they sent the ashes back to the vet they included a paw print in a mold of plaster. To this day I still pick that paw print up and say thank you Shady.

I had a dog cremated with the intention of having a "pet steps to heaven" made. (google it). I just haven't had the money to do it, so old Jake is still next to my bed. You won't regret cremation, just make sure it's individual. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Your vet can-and should-help you in this situation. Talk to him or her first thing in the morning and then have it done quickly. You will never regret it. You can then do as you wish with your pals ashes.

We are all brothers in pain here when somebody loses their four legged pal.

Regrets.

Thanks for the replies, and we did decide to have it done. It was very fast, we already got her back yesterday. Were glad we had it done, and it was only 80 bucks through our vet for the individual cremation. Now just deciding what to do with the ashes.

I have creameted 2 dogs and they are both buried in their favorite spot. Heck while I sit on the lawn chair on the patio, I even talk to her.

I do not remember how much it cost but I am very glad I did it. I owed them that much. Neither we going to the dump.

I have had 2 dogs pass, I have spread the ashes in hunting grounds. The first dog was spread where she got her first rooster. The second where he had an amazing water rooster retrieves. I still hunt both spots so hopefully the dogs get to hunt forever. Feels good to hunt those spots and make new memories.

Sorry for your loss. We just put down our 15 1/2 y.o. springer/ lab 3 weeks ago. Cremation is $$$ but now that I have her ashes on a shelf with her picture, I value having the option of either keeping them or spreading them this summer. Pay the xtra for the individual! I'm already looking for another dog!

Sorry Waxworm, glad you got it sorted out, and hope you feel better soon. Interesting topic. I never have had to give it much thought. All my dogs have passed on in a warmer time of year and were buried in a certain spot. I can see the dilemma of this time of year, and that sounds like a nice option. Never knew about it with a dog I guess. One could take a dog to several of the most memorable spots they had together. Like said, could be a nice feeling when you walk that field some other year with a new young prospect. In a way I have learned more from you and this thread then any other. Take care

Sorry for your loss, it is tough. Mine have all been cremated as well, arranged by our vet.

One additional thing we do: My father is a sheet metal worker by trade, an artist by choice. Each animal gets a specially designed and built custom urn, and they are each placed right next to a mounted bird that has some special significance for me and the dog. My big lab is next to his first rooster (a giant 3 year old bird) and the mixed retriever is next to an enormous wood duck he retrieved for me on a particulaly memorable hunt. This helps me re-live some good memories.

My wife's cat is even up there on the shrine in it's own little urn. (Equal time I guess.)

It's a sad, sad day as I had to put down my yellow lab Astro this morning to prevent him from further suffering due to breathing problems associated with laryngeal paralysis. He would have been 12 years old on March 3. He was a great dog, a wonderful companion and a tremendous hunter, and will be very much missed. The only good thing is that he got to go peacefully and with dignity. Having some time to plan for this, I chose to also have him cremated privately (individually) and will receive his remains back from the vet clinic.

Astro lived to please his family and to duck hunt so we will be placing his ashes in a Final Round pet urn, which is designed and looks just like a big shotgun shell. This next fall we will either bury the urn or spread his ashes in northeast South Dakota at his favorite duck slough, so that he can continue to hunt and we can visit him each fall.

God bless you Astro, you were a wonderful dog.