• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pro shops

slopmaster

Just wondering where everyone gets their bow work done or have in the past and how they liked the service recieved from different places. I've jumped around a couple places since i have a short draw and had a tough time finding places to shoot a bow in my length. Currently I go to Archery Country in Waite Park and have had good luck but may try a few more next year just to see what else is out there. The only downfall (if you can call it that) is they push matthews pretty hard so if your set on something else there maybe better places. So whats your guys experiences.

In the east metro hard to beat A1 in Hudson...guys are down to earth and know there stuff. Have had alot of stuff done there, very good prices on tuning and other bow work. They don't push mathews or any other brand as far as I have seen....

A-1 is great place to go. They will push Matthews but that is only when they get to know you. I'm a hoyt guy and they keep trying to change me. I will drive a good ways for service. Also go to Gander in Forest lake many ex compound doctors guys around that know how to serve the customers and know bows. Gander and A-1 have couple guys.

Would not go to any other Gander though.

...will push Matthews but that is only when they get to know you. I'm a hoyt guy and they keep trying to change me.

The reason for that is because the markup on Mathews products is about double what it is on many other lines of bows. The profit for the places that peddle the products is about twice as much for Mathews vs. Hoyt, Bowtech, and Elite. Not too many places will tell you that or even admit that, but it's generally true.

One suggestion I have is to not only find a business that has a good reputation, but be sure to find an individual at that store that you get to know. Once you find someone who's good, make sure he does the work and not some other person. I know of a couple places that have one or two great bow-guys and one or two average or even bad bow-guys. Of course the hard part is finding out which ones are good and which ones are not...

If you need that one person go to forestlake gander and ask for Mike Foster ex compound Dr guy and he will allways do you right great guy and awesome with bows. I might buy my equipment elsewhere to get a better price or they don't carry it but don't let them set it up I bring it to Mike for the setup.

You got it ArcherySniper

I hunt with Mike. I'll make the drive to have him or Cory work on my bows. Also same at A-1.

As long as you find a good person you trust and knows bows. You should go there cause you will end up regretting if you dont and something goes wrong.

yes finding a good archery shop is hard !!! I have been to archery country in st cloud an they push Matherws to hard but they have alot of bows to look at and try but there prices are on the top end . Gregs archery in Aitkin is great but small and not to many choices Bowtech and mathews , but is good and won't push mathews

So a Mathews bow that retails for $800 and costs the dealer somewhere between $550-$600 (which is only around 25-30% profit margin) is twice as profitable for the dealer than a Hoyt or Bowtech? So the Hoyt that retails for $800 costs the dealer $$680-$700 and he makes only 12-15% profit margin? I don't think so! There's not many dealers around who can make it on those margins, unless they're doing an unbelievable volume with no service behind the sale, and there just ain't enough bowhunters all buying new bows that any dealer is doing that kind of volume. And I don't think Hoyt would still be around if they couldn't figure out how to make bows for the same kind of cost Mathews does.

[quote=Scoot

The reason for that is because the markup on Mathews products is about double what it is on many other lines of bows. The profit for the places that peddle the products is about twice as much for Mathews vs. Hoyt, Bowtech, and Elite. Not too many places will tell you that or even admit that, but it's generally true.

Wow!!! Let me guess. You heard this from a friend that knows somebody that is a bow dealer.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I don't know where you got this information, but you are trying to pass something off as a fact, that is absolutely untrue. Sounds like a typical Mathews basher.

I would love to give you the actual numbers to shut you up but that would cost me my job.