• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rubs...big buck or many bucks?

matchset

i was scouting some new area, when BAMMMMM! i found these two rubs less than 100 yards apart.

Photo0861.jpg

Photo0864.jpg

i found a similiar size rub in the same general area back on September 3rd.

Photo0736.jpg

is this the work of one/many mature bucks or just a buck of two year olds having fun???

Hard to say if it's one buck or a bunch of bucks. Bucks will rub on each other's rubs, trying to "outdo" the previous buck and cover up his scent.

There is a rub at my dad's that I found last winter that must get used every year, as the tree is getting an hour glass shape to it.

It's in a bedding area, so I don't want to hang a camera in there and disturb deer when I'm retrieving pics.

Regardless, I'd put a trail cam on that rub and see who's using it. I would bet it will get used again next year too, so keep that in mind.

Brian

It may be more than one buck, BUT it would take some serious power to shred those trees like that!! I doubt any 1.5-2.5 year old bucks have the power to do that.... now a big old bruiser with a neck like a garbage can could shred those trees..... it would be awesome to get a trail cam pic or video of a buck shredding something as big as the tree you are standing by.

they seem overly shredded for rubs, i don't know if maybe cougers will make scratching post like a domestic cat? the first time you posted the last picture it was awful early for a buck to be that aggressive for the beginning of sept. the height seems kind of high for a deer to me, thats shoulder height, a deer's head straight out rubbing would be about the height of your bow. like those guys said get that darn camera out there!

You didn't exactly say where you found these but I'm assuming they are towards the northern part of the state. Look at how high they are. To make a rub, a deer needs to put his head down and these are like 4-5' high. I think there is a greater chance you're looking at what Bullwinkle did rather than what Bambi did.

Post a pic of a trophy Booner and prove me wrong!

i'll tell you what guys..... its not a moose. i can guarantee that.

here's the break down guys..... i'm not going to tell u all exactly where they are at...but i can tell u that they are all on public land. Hmmmmmm!

the first picture is defiantly in a bedding area; i jumped a small 10pt, and a hot doe. and the "rubbed" tree is the only tree in the area. there just isn't a tree to hang a stand it (or rub) within a few hundred yards.

the telephone pole rub; well i spotted that one from a dead end road! yikes! i talked to the neighbor guy (who had an apple tree) and he said lots of deer frequent his yard.

Look at how high they are. To make a rub, a deer needs to put his head down and these are like 4-5' high. I think there is a greater chance you're looking at what Bullwinkle did rather than what Bambi did.

in my defense, i'll put a trail camera out tomorrow! but the peak rubbing period has past.....

also, i'd like to make a note of the fact that both trees are of the (easily shedding) variety.

the primary rubbing area is in the middle of the rub. any up and down motion of a bucks neck would remove strips of bark.

hope i can get a pic!

Matchset:

You don't need to defend anything, the mystery of the giant rubs are both fun and interesting. Even with a trail cam pic it would be hard to conclusively prove what made the rubs. Several posters have merely pointed out that there are critters besides deer that rub trees. What I really hope is that you take a moose of a deer and post pics of that!

The rubs are too low for a bear or cougar as some suggested. They are also WAY too low for a moose, their rubs are over your head. The tree is shredded because it is too big for an antler to get all the way into it in order to rub all the bark away. What you are seeing is just the tips of the antlers shredding the bark.

IMO this is from a BIG buck. Big bucks will rub little trees, but little bucks don't rub big trees, at least not this big.

Hope you get a crack at him.

Right On Don Bo! I think you got a magnum buck there! Theres probably several bucks taking a poke at it but I bet its a stud that claims it as his own! It seems too big to be true but theres been plenty of Kansas deer etc. that hourglass out phonepoles! No reason it cant happen here, just takes some wicked headgear and attitude to match!

That would be a neat picture! Good luck!

This is very curious to me. Based on my calculations (measuring my computer screen using a known distance = 30" axle to axle on the Z7) the top marks on the trees of these rubs are nearing 60" or 5 feet off the ground.

I've seen some big rubs in the past on some very big trees, but I don't recall ever seeing one that goes so high. If these are a whitetail rub, that is incredible. I can't wait to see some pictures.

Its not a moose. The first tree is about a 6 inch basswood. While moose are in basswood growing zones, I have never seen a moose rub on a basswood. Plenty of deer rub them though, ANd it is too low. I have seen rubs from moose and elk, they are much higher. As far as the size of the deer, I assume a bigun!