• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filling a Tag

drake123

So I was wondering wat ur thoughts were. I am new to bow hunting, and will be hunting this weekend around ely. The land We own is lottery. I can only shoot one deer with my rifle, or my bow. Do you think I should take a nice doe that gives me a good shot, or wait for the big boy to come. I have about 4 weekends of bow hunting up there, and three for rifle. Again one tag, what should I do. O and I will also be hunting around chisago area so I can hopefully fill some tags here to get the first deer out of my system.

if it was me and I knew there were decent bucks in the area I was hunting then with 7 weekends to fill a tag with a big boy and the oppurtunity to fill some doe tags around home I'd hold onto the tag untill the big boy shows up and hunt does around the house.

Tunrevir~

Yes, we have trail cams out no buck activity yet, have some big does around. My dad and, uncles have shot some decent bucks out of there nothing huge just nice 8's, and couple 9's. Havent seen any tho for 2-3 years, but I guess if the does are around the bucks should be coming.

Thanks

Personally, i would wait!! I have been bow hunting for 5 years now and haven't flung an arrow at a deer yet. I like to wait for a big buck and unfortunately that usually happens in the stand i sit in for slug hunting!! it's all about being outdoors, either way i will shoot a deer! If i don't see a big'un by the end of slug season i will have no problem shooting a doe late season with my bow!!

gr8icefishinmind, true words spoken. If you are in an area where you know there are does, then I'd wait a weekend or two and see what you see. The does will likely pass by again, especially if you know what time of day they are moving through. Of course only you can set your priorities, in other words shoot it if you are hungry. wink

yeah, if you are a meat hunter then let the arrows fly!! But if you are a sportsman, then you could care less about shooting a deer its all about being in the outdoors and if you get the chance to pop a big one now then have at it! Otherwise wait until late season and if anything pop a doe!!

Like Archerysniper stated "you will know." I myself, If I could hunt other places in Minnesota that was Managed/Intensive I would arrow one, but I hung up the guns 4 years ago and have not looked back.

Its all archery for me for deer.

yep like they said you will know if that big does walks by and it feels right to let an arrow fly do it, if not wait. My first year bow hunting i wanted to wait for a big buck and it never showed and i kicked myself for waiting

I would wait, even if it feels right. Sorry guys, I like chasing whitetails too much. If you shoot a doe right away, there will be a time when the rut hits and people starting posting pics of the deer they are shooting, that you will wish you would have waited. If you have the opportunity to hunt the rut, wait if you can, there is nothing like it.

g8icefishing,

I think I am a sportsman and a meat hunter. I really like eating whitetails and shooting big bucks. What is the definition of a sportsman? Someone that passes on everything but a big buck? hmm...For what it is worth I am sure you will be party hunting with your dad and uncles up north. If you wack one with your bow and a big buck shows up I aM sure there will be a tag around for you.

Actually, i hunt by myself! I'm a one man party...haha! I think the definition of a sportsman is someone who partakes in deer management and doesn't need to shoot something to enjoy hunting!! Trust me, i love venison but i do not go out and shoot the first thing i see. If i did then i would be done hunting and what fun would that be???

If you are hunting for meat, take the doe and the bow is nice as it typically ruins no meat.

If this is your first archery hunt and you have a nice doe within range, whack it. Thats how I had my son do it. He said he only wanted to shoot a buck and I said if you have not shot a deer with a bow, that buck will be harder to kill as it is a bit more wary. One may be good at shooting at a target but shooting a deer and learning to draw back and when to draw back is another new game that one needs to learn.

If I had one tag, I personally would whack one with my bow. It is to me a much more challenging hunt.

It really comes down to what you would like to shoot. There will always be a larger buck than any you have or ever will shoot so I would go out and enjoy the hunt.

You will know when the deer you want to shoot is in front of you.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'm with Harvey on this one. You're new to bowhunting - how important is it for you to get your first archery deer? I hunt both - archery because I fell in love with it a couple years ago, shotgun because my family does and I wouldn't trade the time spent in the field with the fam for anything. That said, I'll happily watch a doe walk by with the gun in my hand so that I could continue to attempt to claim my first archery deer later in the year.

take anything but a fawn if your strictly using a bow.

Hold on now, nothing wrong with taking a fawn, especially if its your first deer with archery equipment.

After years of rifle hunting and never shooting a fawn I was pretty happy to shoot a fawn for my first archery deer way back when. It is especially important with archery equipment to build up your confidence and gain that valuable experience so when you start climbing the ladder you can build off those past successful hunts.

Drake if I was in your situation I would shoot a doe and get an archery deer under your belt. You could still party hunt with other rifle season, I would probably hold out for a nicer buck if I had already shot a doe but that is entirely up to you or the guy who's tag your might fill.

I think Harvey's comments are spot on. Also, a relevant question: do you like to hunt in the cold? If you don't like the cold, that might factor in a bit. I love hunting in the cold- the colder the better. If you value taking your first one with a bow (which I certainly would at your stage of the game), I'd definitely take the first doe that presented a nice shot opportunity. I've passed does as late as Christmas Day "knowing" I'd be able to take one later in the season. I've gone without venison some of those years...

Scoot brings up a very valid point about the cold.

The later in the season it gets, after sitting in the tree for an extended time, it is hard to draw and hold the bow back unless one is ready for this.

When I hunt in the cold with my bow, I first drop my poundage from 70-60#'s. I then resight my bow and when I am sitting in my syand, I will draw my bow back every 10 minutes or so and that way I should be ready for the shot and not all stiff.

It really can help.

I believe most archers will agree that your first deer with a bow is awesome and it really does not matter what it is. The guy's I know that hunted for the first time with a bow were overjoyed even with a small doe.

What a challenge when you have to get a deer in range and then beat their senses.

I still hunt with a gun as it gives me another oportunity to go out and enjoy and maybe harvest another deer. But, it is not near the challenge.

I agree. A fawn is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, it can be hard to tell the difference between a fawn and yearling doe by late November. I personally don't shoot them anymore early on because I get one deer in my lottery area and my tag is saved for the first large mature doe or nice buck that comes by.

However, when we could take 3 deer under the all season, I may have considered taking a doe and her fawn if possible then wait for my buck. I have also let deer pass and only taken one instead of three when we had the all season because I didnt feel we had enough deer for me on a certain piece of property for me to take three.

It's all a matter of personal preference + circumstance. If it's late December here and I'm ready to call her quits, I may very well take a fawn if I'd like some venison. I may not get another chance.

Mmmmmm.Coooold. I've already been researching late season hunting tactics and studying the new land I have to hunt as for the first time in a long time, I believe I'll have a place that holds deer in winter.