• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shooting broadheads compared to field points

i've been shooting off my deck and at the range and with the field points, i can hit the bullseye pretty good, but when i shoot with broadheads, it sinks way more and hits below where im aiming. Is there a way to fix it so i can hit my spots with field points and broadheads? I know practicing would probably help but i don't know how to not make it dip towards the end of the shot. Any tips would be great. Thanks

make sure your broadheads are of the same weight as your field points

ie don't be shooting 100 grain field points and 125 grain broadheads.

or, maybe take a look at some different broadheads? a lot of expandables actually include "practice" broadheads you can use to see how they shoot

What grain field point are you shooting? Is it the same as your broadheads? I was told recently also that the size of your vanes vs. what type of broadheads you are shooting makes a difference too. For instance, if you are shooting shorter vanes with fixed blades, the fixed blades can act as added vanes and may take your arrow off course a little. Perhaps this may be the case?

hmm i'm new to the archery game but seems like you might want to take your bow into somebody who knows what they are doing - they can prob tell you what grain your field points are too

.... or you could just aim a bit higher smile

Rinc.......I have the same two types of field points and they are both 100gr. They both come in all different weights, so without the package or a scale it will be mighty hard to figure out how much they weigh. I would guess your broadheads are heavy than your practice points.

Tuning your bow is the right way to do it, I like to paper tune mine from 3 different distances to make sure everything is a ok. Read up on paper tuning your bow and give it a try, its not difficult at all.

Would it help if i went and bought 100 grain field points and strictly shoot those?

Absolutely... The biggest thing in archery shooting is consistency! Eliminate the variables... Shoot the same type of arrows (lengths, weights, diameters)and make sure you are shooting the same weight field points.

There's no guarantee your broadheads will fly the same as field points, even with a properly tuned bow. IF the broadheads fly good, just move your sights and move on.

I had the same problem when I bought my first bow (knowing nothing about bow hunting or the equipment). I bought all the parts at their recommendation, and had it set up at the shop where I purchased it. After practicing for 4 months with target points, the season was now near and found out I could not get my broadheads to hit the same spot as my target points.

Went to a different pro-shop and when paper tuning discovered my arrow was dolphining. He checked my Nok Set with a bubble level system and found my arrows were Noked a bit too low and he corrected the Nok Set. It still was dolphining so he had me shoot an array of stiffer spined arrows...and one in particular brought everything into the bulls eye.

Turned out I needed correct arrows and a slight adjustment in the Nok Set and then target points and broadheads all hit the same spots at 10, 20, and 30 yards. As the others have said, get a pro shop to check the entire set up from bow to arrow choice, and re-tune it. Worth the time and effort.

There's no guarantee your broadheads will fly the same as field points, even with a properly tuned bow. IF the broadheads fly good, just move your sights and move on.

This is true, even when my bow is tuned I have been able to find a couple of broadheads that just don't fly right out of my setup. You will just have to test to see what works best out of your bow. A tuned bow can and does fix a lot of problems but there are almost never any one size fits all solutions.

Alright that makes me feel alot better, i had been shooting for about 45 minutes before i put on my broadheads and wasnt shooting to great, and later i thought i mightve been just getting a bit tired so i went back and shot with them and they were alot closer and really not to bad of shots, so maybe it was just the little break i needed to relax. thanks everyone for your advice