• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

I saw about 50 brown teal looking ducks in a small farm pond that has only held a few ducks all summer. Looks limlke there could be a few flying ducks by opening weekend again this year. That is unless they all walked there. grin

Out scouting today in W Central MN. Of course there were geese. Lots of BWT, woodies and mallards. Even a couple divers on a big slough. Good rice crop & water levels seem up versus last year. Still some VERY small ducks around. Found one pond loaded with ducks - we bumped em out. Still a dozen or so little buff colored fur balls - looked like they couldn't even fly!

Good luck next wknd!

Was hunting geese in a pasture last weekend. Didn't do well on the geese but I did have about 200-250 redheads flying back and forth on the small creek I was hunting next to about every 15-20 mins, 25-30 yards away, made for some good entertainment. For other ducks, I saw 1 can, couple bluebills, couple shovelers, couple mallards, couple gadwalls and a couple bwteal, wasn't overly impressed with the amount of ducks besides the redheads. NE Nodak

I feel for you guys down around the Twin Cities. I lived in Waconia for 5 years and finding hunting opportunities without being overrun by other hunters is near impossible.

As to a report...up here in the NW part of the state, where much of the migration first moves in, there's a few flocks of local geese, and a couple ducks around. It's really dry, and only the small grains are off. Locals are just starting in on the beans.

Weather is still way too mild. Feels like mid-July up here tonight with t-storms moving up from the south. Kinda doubt the dekes are gonna see any sunlight for a few more weeks. I gotta wait for the migration to get started. Too many other things to do before the birds really get moving.

I have been seeing some bluewings hanging around the Princeton area along with the normal woodies. The geese have been flying high or rate at sunset. I have notice a lot of Sandhill Cranes along high 95 between st cloud and princeton the cranes are in the cut corn fields.

While doing chores yesterday, up here in the NW part of the state, I noticed a few large flocks of geese high up heading south. It seems a little early to see anything truly migrating yet, but these groups definitely appeared to be on the move.

Also noticed a distinct increase in the number of geese in the immediate area. Far more geese flying around town last night then I've seen in the past few weeks.

While doing chores yesterday, up here in the NW part of the state, I noticed a few large flocks of geese high up heading south. It seems a little early to see anything truly migrating yet, but these groups definitely appeared to be on the move.

Also noticed a distinct increase in the number of geese in the immediate area. Far more geese flying around town last night then I've seen in the past few weeks.

I'm in the metro and noticed a high flying flock or 2. Lots of geese around, quite a few ducks too.

Had a very poor Opener where we were this morning. Four guns shot a honker and a blue and green wing teal. Pretty sad. Two others in our party went to a different slough and shot seven and another two went to a third slough and shot ten. A mixture of mallards, woodies, a few teal and a gadwall. Was just too hard for some of us old timers to get in those sloughs that required walks through heart siezing muck. Lot of hunters out and not a whole lot of ducks. Weather was way too nice also.

Woodies were plentiful in the Cambridge area, many small flocks were seen, mostly locals I suspect and we did take three limits. Some mallards were also seen, perhaps 10 - 20, but none would decoy. Can't complain as it's mostly local ducks right now. Things will improve....