• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

Im going to be out the next 4 days on and off , I think this weekend will be the push in southern mn and a couple days into next week. My worst season ever, kind of hunt same area all year, due to very little vacation time . Ducks have never shown up here all season in the minnesota river valley. I hope there is alot more water next year.

I hunted the last 2 days to close out the North Zone season.

Monday was OK w/ 3 goldeneyes and 2 hoodies. Missed many other shots due to poor shooting. mad

The fog Tuesday morning had us shore bound till noon, not to mention ice at every landing we checked out.. A buddy and hunted Winnie and the only shooting/chance we had was on a hen mallard. 1,000's of diver out there rafted up, but with little/no wind they weren't flying around at all.

Time to get ready for ice fishing season I guess and try to get a deer with the muzzleloader.

Brian

Took the youngster out to a diver point for her first time. Managed to pull in some green as well. Better results than should be expected with no wind. full-283-26684-2012_11_2110.24.12.jpg

Headed home to regroup. Couple good meals will be nice. Stomache starting to rebel a bit against a diet consisting predominantly of breakfast bars and convenience store biscuits. Will be back out Friday until the finish. Should be a small push of the final birds.

Should be the final push Friday/Saturday. Friday might be one of those days ya stay out all day as birds are migrating. Good luck to everyone going out for the final push. Still a good amount of mallards in southern mn if you can get out and scout where the birds are feeding. This is one of the first years in awhile where I can say that a decent amount of mallards moved in and stayed.

Put on a 140 miles yesterday, checked out all of the honey holes plus some other larger bodies of water, 0 ducks spotted, quite a few geese around and swans. The fields i have to hunt are cut and tilled so I sad thing for me to say is duck season 2012 is done for me frown time to start building wood duck houses. Happy hunting and Happy Thanksgiving

Kettle

Gave up too soon wink 150 mile run for me tomorrow morning that I am confident will put green on the boat floor. I get the look from wifey every time she sees me checking weather reports. At least one of our credit cards will be kept warm this weekend.

Next year I will be ready! I have a total of 42 days off next year during the duck hunting season, with trips to Canada and Nebraska! Hopefully will have a larger boat with a surface drive to add to the 14' with the ten horse, and hopefully have a better rice crop. Should have some more decoys and some more places to hunt. I envy you Bryce, I have such and odd scheduled I hunt solo mostly. Happy Hunting

Kettle

The pond across the road from us in Big Lake that was full of mallards and honkers has only had honkers for the last couple days. Thinking its over for ducks boys! Still have a month of pheasant hunting in NoDak, time to start seriously expanding the tail feather collection stuck in the weather stripping on my pickup!!

Went flying w/ a buddy yesterday over 3rd River, Winnie, Cutfoot Lakes, and Round Lake. Didn't see much for ducks at all, but we stayed on the north shore of Winnie. My buddy said it was no where near the number that he saw the Friday before rifle season opened. 3rd River was iced up to to the lake and most of the small waters were frozen, ice forming pretty good on the Cutfoot Lakes, and Round Lake as well.

Another buddy drove over Inger Bridge today and said the river was loaded w/ ducks. Go figure!

Brian

Haven't seen any big flocks of ducks lately but today I saw what had to be thee biggest flock of geese I've seen in years..... if ever around here. I would have to guess somewhere between 2 - 3000 birds, we've had good numbers around for the last month or more but this must be the last big push of the migration.

Even though I don't hunt waterfowl, it's still fun to see the ducks and geese passing thru.

Mike

Hunted this morning in the field, wind was INSANE! Lots of geese still around, did not see as many mallards though. All the lakes are frozen this morning except parts of the refuge. She is about done here boys! Couple hundered geese landed in the field, we were hunting for mallards and only seen a few small flocks.

turned around at the landing today after seeing the ice, it was open in the middle but breaking ice in a kayak with a paddle isn't fun. Saw all kinds of ducks on the way home in the north metro. Thinking about heading to the river this weekend.

@ booger. Stopped at Men ards and got a kayak this morning. Never used one before. Not the best day for a maiden voyage but I had to try. Kicked 100 geese off lake at 8:00. Saw one flock of migrating ducks and 2 small flocks of geese moving. Left at 10 when goose butts started tipping over in the wind. That thing is a little scary. It will fill a niche in my fleet though.

I have the beavertail phantom, so it is pretty stable. Its probably pretty funny watching me get around I have a good size bag of duck decoys with about 2 dozen and usually take 6 more goose decoys, and I'm not a skinny guy. That along with my gun, a spotlight, shell bag. Its crowded. But I can pull that sucker up in the cattails, sit on the cargo area and disappear.

And my friends aren't as into hunting as I am so it allows me to get out more than 3 times a year smile and hey if you ever want to go out, send me a PM.

I'd love to get a motor and trailer as I have a 12 foot newly camo'ed boat just sitting around. But by myself it's too much to carry.

Made it over halfway before getting report of freeze up. Didn't think the ice would form in all this wind. Time to hang it up. Could hit one of the local lakes but think I'll give those birds a pardon. Hard to get ambitious about having a good day and seeing a dozen birds. Rochester geese next project.

Took a drive yesterday to the Alexandria to fergus falls area looking for pheasants and ducks, found no pheasants, and very few ducks. Have a private field in the south metro where we have done well, but I am picking up a new puppy tomorrow. Hopefully Sunday!

Decided to give it one got it this am. Most lakes are turning hard but Parts of Centerville are open. Ended up with one goose. Saw maybe 10 ducks. MA Nature won though and pushed all my blocks into shore so I'm going to call it a season.