• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

I have been working down in Whitewater wildlife management area towards Weaver and the wood ducks showed up late last week along with the hooded mergansers, but the mergies have since moved on.. All kinds of mallards around there, every morning they are sitting in a flooded cornfield next to the road. Just on Monday the spooners have shown up. Sure is hard to start working when there is all kinds of ducks flying around. Also a few sandhills around the area as well.

No. No waterfowl will raise two broods in the same year that I know of. Most will renest if the first attempt is unsuccessful however - I think that's where people get confused and say "second hatch" sometimes.

I still have a pair of buffies and a couple pairs of Bluebills hanging around. The bluebills have been hear awhile now so either they are going to stay the season or they know something we don't wink.

I am reporting that I had seen several flocks of geese flying around and into Cleary Lake as I biked around it! You could sure tell the juvies were having there dips and spins in the air which is great humor!

Won't be long now! grin

I around quite a bit for work and the last two weeks there has been tons of geese working the freshly cut fields. Seems like all the geese are flying now but the ducks are a different story. I have seen some that look like they just hatched in the last couple of weeks.

This past week I spent the whole week on Eagle Lake near Cromwell and saw alot of duck and was surprised at how many divers were in the area two broods of Bluebills, one brood of redheads and a few ring necks were there along with a bunch of mallards. Out of all of these birds I only saw one young hen mallard with a small duckling the rest of these ducks were all able to take flight as I watched them fly in and out of the bay we were staying on. Should be a good opener if your in the right area of the state.

Guess ill be the first to report from the morning!

Our party got 15.. the east wind really killed us having to take a lot of over head shots. Didnt hear to much other shooting. Hope to get a few more tonight Ill be taking my 11yr old cousin out tonight for his first shoot so I really hope to get a little action or at least a crow (that looks like is about to do damage):)

how did everyone else do?