• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

staying calm

Andrew Erickson

Well, this was my first bow opener and my first time bow hunting ever and it was a blast even tho i never got a shot off, we saw lots of deer but nothing to close except for a spike i had come straight at me and got within 6 yards of the tree i was sitting in, i had some bushes/shrubs that grew off the tree so i had some cover to pull back but when i did, he either heard my hand brush my mask, or saw a bit of movement and walked down the other way of the trail. He walked right at me for about 40 yards till he came to the trail i was on. I have never in my life felt a rush like i did when he came in and i pulled back. I literally was having trouble breathing haha, it was crazy. So my question is, how do you stay calm and focused when you see a big buck coming in and youre about to shoot? i plan on hunting alot this year and am hooked for life now

Practice, practice, practice. The adrenaline will be there for a buck, or a doe. Its just different from all other forms of hunting. When I have practiced a lot, I just feel that much more confident and my nerves are that much more at ease, however, the adrenaline rush is still there.

Also, I try and shoot sitting down. Standing up I shake so badly deer get spooked.

I don't know, I practice quite a bit and still get the shakes. I think only experience can calm them, and still only to an extent...at least for me. 20+ years of hunting and I still get that adrenaline rush when a deer walks up on me, even if I'm looking for a buck and it's a doe. It's the best part of hunting!

My only trick is deep breathe, exhale, squeeze the trigger/release...then open eyes laugh

Don't focus on the deer or head gear. Go through your shot - pull back, anchor, straight arm, sight on the vitals, breathe easy, bend at the waist, release. I try to focus on the vitals rather than the deer itself. It helps, but in all honesty you get pretty pumped up.

Don't get me wrong, I still shake like mad, often my legs are still wobbely on the way back to the truck, but practice allows me to focus all my attention on the target, becausee draw, breath, release are all secondary. Its much harder to make the shot when you have to think about all those things, because your body is involuntarily shaking and your mind is involuntarily racing.

Isn't it great though, Its why we do it. Ill never forget the first doe I ever drew on. I missed of course, put another arrow in and was shaking so bad I couldn't hold the pin on her, then the quiver started shaking so bad she just ran off. Next one it took 2 shots, then I couldn't pull my bow back I was so pumped.

Experience is all that has helped me and I still get that jump of the heart rate whenever i first catch site of a deer. Honestly I think what has helped me the most was after I harvested a few, I started letting them walk and just watched instead of thinking about killing. But that comes with time and each persons stage their in. But it will come (controlling nerves that it) But there will always be some. If not I wouldn't hunt anymore.

Welcome to the addiction

Once I decide to shoot I am focused on that spot behind the shoulder. You also have to be aware of your surroundings so you can see what the deer is doing and when the best time to draw will be but focusing on the spot you want to hit has always helped me.

Like other have said its very important to practice shooting, and don't stop now that the season is open, keep shooting all fall.

I do my best to try to focus on the job that needs to get done one step at a time and not that big picture that i'm trying to shoot a deer with my bow. These are the steps i focus on: 1. Finding the right time to stand up in my stand (when the deer has its head down, behind brush, etc.) 2. Finding the spot i will likely get a shot at 3. Finding the right time to draw my bow 4. waiting for the shot to present itself 5. taking the shot. By doing this i never shake while trying to execute the shot. Once the arrow is released however and i sit back down i shake uncontrollably for a good twenty minutes to the point i couldnt get down from the tree if i wanted to. I think its interesting we are always trying to find ways to suppress the adrenaline rush. If we were very successful at it we may not find the sport very enjoyable anymore! smile

Once the arrow is released however and i sit back down i shake uncontrollably for a good twenty minutes to the point i couldnt get down from the tree if i wanted to.

Same here! I have to make myself stay in the stand for a while. I almost fell out once because I tried to get down when I was still shaking.

in my experience, the only way to stay calm is to get that first archery kill under your belt!! not the best advice, but after taking a deer with a bow, your nerve levels dont seem to go crazy. but that all depends on what is in front of you to! just knowing that you've taken a deer with archery tackle before is a huge confidence booster!

I hope I will always get the adreneline rush when I see a big deer that is one of the reasons for being out there.

1. Practice and be confident in your ability.

2. Shoot or compete in competitions or league with any weapon to learn to handle the pressure and how it effects your shooting. It forces you to stay focused and not let the pressure overwhelm you.

3. Shoot and watch more deer. This will only come with experience and not solve the problem in the short term.

The quickest way is to compete, whether formally or with your buddies. Learning to shoot under pressure is the same in competition or when that buck is closing the distance. It all comes down to focusing on the shot that you have done a thousand or ten thousand times before. The next one is just as easy as the last one when you can stay focused.

Great advice, helps when they just show up and you do not have to watch them forever.

I do not look at anything but the boiler room on the deer, once I believe it is a shooter, aim small, miss small.

I too shake worse after the shot.

The day I quit getting shakey or nervous when I see a deer I will quit.

Good Luck and welcome to the Family.... wink

+1 rippinlip once I decide its a shooter I never look at the headgear again. For myself when I first spot a deer I get excited as I progress through the sequence of try to harvest the deer I get calmer. once I have the bow in hand im a little calmer release on string loop a little calmer full draw undetected very calm I tune everything out and focus on the exact spot I want to hit and nothing else squeeze after the shot especially if I could see that its a good hit then look out cause I shake like a earth quake. Just takes time to train yourself that you have to control it untill after the shot

Ditto the sitting. I often am in a ground blind so that's a given. five years and eight deer under my belt by bow and my heart still pounds like crazy. No shakes, though. Last year, I put the stalk on a doe and closed the distance through the evening woods as darkness closed in. Oddly, that was the most relaxed I had ever been - probably because I felt like I had nothing to lose. Either doe down or bust.

Ah Man the rush is why I am out there. Just thinking about it now my breathing is quicker. I have shot quite a few deer but I now get the shakes after I shoot. One thing that has helped me over the years is that when I am on the stand waiting for deer I will practice my shots in my mind. I will vizualize a deer walking down the trails, pick my spots where to draw the bow, pick my spots to shoot... It doesn't always happen that way but more times than not it does. It sure helps me make quality shots...

thanks for the advice, i cant wait till a bigger buck walks by. I can't even wait to get out again

Dont feel bad if you get Buck fever a few times. I have been with guys that can shoot arrows one after another in to those little round price tags. And then shoot straight into a tree or drop their arrow off the rest from shaking so bad. When you do lose the feelings for the hunt, it's time to pack it up! Have fun! smile

I find that I'm nervous and shaky until I'm drawn. Up until that point I have to accomplish actions in which I could be easily busted. Once I'm drawn its just a waiting game and I calm down a little. I have my bow set at about 63 lbs, so I can hold it back for quite a while without even noticing. I can draw when the deer is behind a tree or looking the other way and wait for up to a couple minutes for them to wander out where I want them too.

Tips for diaphragmatic breathing that helps with managing adrenaline.

Try practicing these every day, and as a part of preparing for each shot.

First, place one hand on your chest and one hand on your abdomen. This will help you know that you are breathing with your abdomen and not your check.

Slowly exhale through your nose by pressing your diaphragm(belly) down. A three or four count should be good. If the hand on your chest moves, you are not using your diaphragm.

Slowly relax your diaphragm and breath in through your nose. This will draw air into your lungs. The hand on your chest shouldn't move. Use a three or four count on your inhale.

Once your abdomen is relaxed, give your self and three could before you repeat the process and exhale again. Repeat it 10 times or so for daily practice. When you are hunting, start it as soon as you get that rush smile

That is basically it. That method does a lot to manage adrenaline rushes. It may feel odd at first and you may also feel that you are not getting enough oxygen. More than likely you breath using your chest. By practicing this regularly, you will learn to breath normally via your diaphragm. Though on normal breathing you will inhale by enlarging your stomach instead of pressing down. It can work wonders for day to day stress management.

The rush never goes away!! Heck I started shaking just reading all of this and remembering times past.

Just focus on the things that have to happen to make that perfect shot. The shakes will go away without you even realizing it...till after the shot and you know you've connected. Then they come back, even worse!! That's a good thing!!

Just remember, "That perfect Shot" he (she) was there once they'll be back. You must have a good spot, take your time, let it happen. We've got a long season, it sucks to bring it to an end so soon.

You guys are right, nothing beats the rush of having such an elusive critter so close. I caught myself tonite doing something while watchin a doe and kids out in front of me that I never realized I did before. To calm my nerves, and worry less about getting pegged by the deer, I stare directly at a spot on the deer where I'd aim if i were going to take the shot. Every deer I see. I find if I can focus on something other than things that can go wrong, I'm much calmer. But nothing gets the heart thumpin like the sound of that twig snappin!! Good luck!!