• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pretty, Pretty, Pretty Please Gardy....

Coach1310

Okay Pier.... I'll bite AGAIN! Since you think Punto needs to be in the lineup, who should he be replacing? When Valencia is healthy there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO reason Punto should play third. You have been very pleased with Hardy at short and Hudson may be a little dinged, but he has much more to offer than Punto.

Punto can provide some solid untility play and his defense is well documented, but to get him in the lineup someone has to sit..... who are you pulling to put Punto in?

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Pier is advocating that Punto start on a regular basis over any of the other infielders on the team. I do think he is a great utility fielder who can give any infielder a day off or even fill in on a regular basis in case of an injury. All the infield positions are playing pretty well right now so even though I like Punto and what he does for this team, he is in the right spot right now, on the bench.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct Dave, although you left out spot starter which has and WILL be his continued role on the team no matter how much you guys P n' M about it.. it's not my fault some of posters think there favorite player at any particular position can and will play or pitch every inning.

Punto has earned double his pay this season and if you don't see that there's nothing that can be done for YUZ and like stated in my last post it's time to move on with this insurmountable impasse we're at... grin

How much longer are they going to allow cuddy to ruin this ball club?

I get a sick feeling when he steps up to the plate. He can't see the ball or something.

It's been two months since this was posted, and it REALLY seems like cuddyer has turned things up lately. He's driven in runs that were key in winning a game MULTIPLE times in the past 8 weeks.

Another hitter that has turned things up has been Hardy. That solo home run yesterday won us the game (granted, we wouldn't have needed it if we didn't give up two runs in the 9th) rather than likely having things go into extra innings. He's had a few key hits with RISP late this season.

You'd like to think we could have a team full of people who could hit like mauer and morneau, and be able to play every position and make zero errors. The fact of the matter is that we have an extremely strong defense with great defensive players, and if we have only a handful of guys who don't seem to ALWAYS drive in runs or get on base, we should count our lucky stars.

We have just about the strongest team in baseball right now IN SPITE OF all our injuries. Gardy and the rest of the off-field guys are doing their job well.

Then again, all this is coming from an Astros fan who counts his season lucky if he has ONE guy who can drive in runs. in 2005 I think Lance Berkman drove in something like 70% of our runs.. and we still made it to the world series! lol.

Cuddyer has gone from absolute garbage to almost mediocre - I'll grant him that. He's definitely had some big hits, and fewer wasted at-bats (though still too many).

They'll need him - and everyone else - firing on all cylinders if they hope to beat NY or Tampa.

Correct Dave, although you left out spot starter which has and WILL be his continued role on the team no matter how much you guys P n' M about it.. it's not my fault some of posters think there favorite player at any particular position can and will play or pitch every inning.

Punto has earned double his pay this season and if you don't see that there's nothing that can be done for YUZ and like stated in my last post it's time to move on with this insurmountable impasse we're at... grin

I understand he will continue to be a spot start type of guy.... I can live with that, but will you please elaborate on WHY you think Punto has earned double his salary this season?? I know you aren't a stats guy so you can basically say whatever you want and say, "well... I just think so", but I'm curious as to how you can believe he has earned twice his salary.

Puntos value is off the bench, and being the backup. "No" bench player is worth more then a couple million. Punto will be taking a HUGE pay cut to stay with the Twins next year, or he will be riding the bench with another team, for less money. I like Punto, and would love to have him back next year, for say 1.5 million.

Ruesse has an article today in the Press about the MVP for this year. No mention of Delmon. Haters everywhere. Granted his fielding is Single A level. But anyone who thinks the Twins are where they are now without his bat hasn't watched or listened to the games or oughta lay off the drapes.

Twins announcers were actually talking about Twin's MVP on radio a couple days ago....Gladdin thought it would be CUDDY, because of his versatility with all the injuries we've had. Will be interesting, for sure.

All you would have had to done Coach is watch the beginning of season with all the injuries and all the position's Punto excelled at to understand the statement that Punto has earned DOUBLE his pay. Thats why they paid him because he is the BEST in the game at playing 2nd, 3rd, and short at the blink of a switch!!!! Defense wins championships and we are the best again this year!!!!!

We're not going to bother going over Punto's other intangibles that go over most of batting average only crowd in here.

So "FMer's" just keep 2nd guessing everything the Twins do and we'll continue to have the Best most entertaining while killing time at work Baseball forum in the Land.... grin

Go Twins!

On a side note I really miss the tags that bring you back to the 1st unread post.

Tough to keep up with all the problems I cause!!!! smile

By clicking on the bold topic, it should automatically bring you to your first unread post.

Since this is a gardy subject, no more of after a day off and a day off in 3 days, no more of the pavano, butera expieriment. You better not use it in the postseason, time to get rid of it. If Pav cant pitch to Mauer, you cant pitch him.

agree. no reason to continue with this unless it happens to be a case where pavano pitches on a day game following a night game which are usually games that mauer sits. certainly can't believe this would continue into the playoffs so let's be done with it.

Guerrier's monthly numbers since July 1:

July - ERA of 8.00

August - ERA of 5.27

September - ERA of 4.50 (and climbing fast - it would be worse if Crain hadn't saved his bacon a couple of times)

Batters are hitting .381 with an OPS of 1.028 against Guerrier this month. He's allowing more than two baserunners per inning pitched.

You just can't put a guy like that in a key spot. Can't.

Good thing Crain has turned his trainwreck season around and somehow morphed into the best setup guy in baseball in the second half. Weird, I know!