• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OK OK opinions on the Banjo Minnow

I have guided guys that have used them and I have guests that go on their own and use them. From what I have seen and from some of the pictures from our guests that use them, I can tell you that on certain days they work fantastic. If you understand how to work them, they can be deadly. One of our groups from chicago caught a 51" northern on a white banjo minnow about 10 years ago. The group sent the picture in with the story and the company sent them a ton of product and I believe for a while you used the fish picture on their HSOforum.

I think they work well others may object.

I think Babe was basically just sight fishing them in shallow bays. Basically he would see one, cast it out in front of its nose and jig/pop it a little, and bam......

I have guided guys that have used them and I have guests that go on their own and use them. From what I have seen and from some of the pictures from our guests that use them, I can tell you that on certain days they work fantastic. If you understand how to work them, they can be deadly. One of our groups from chicago caught a 51" northern on a white banjo minnow about 10 years ago. The group sent the picture in with the story and the company sent them a ton of product and I believe for a while you used the fish picture on their HSOforum.

I think they work well others may object.

i use hot pink and yellow storm hot'n'tots to slay walleyes in Manitoba, and have caught nice northerns on a lure made out of a clam shell with a treble on the back

no disrespect to canadians but practically anything works up there... i'm not surprised the banjo minnow would work well in Ontario

Pike will hit just about any lure from time to time. The fact is if they are hot then anything will work. The Banjo is just another lure that will end up with dust on the package and in the sale bin after a few years. I will always go back to the spoons or the heavy jigs with live bait when fishing gets tough.

Man, I'm just still laughing about "Babe's sausage fingers!" They look like they shouldn't even be able to bend.

As for the bango; never used it. I'm sure a number of soft plastics could fit the bill and worked in a simular fashion/technique.

i love babe, i think he is a great guy, but he should know better then jump on some lure fad. yes you can catch fish on it but you can with other lures to. my little cousin is crazy about the Banjo Minnow, he thinks its the greatest lure ever!

I bought into the hype back in the 90's when they were first introduced. I never caught a fish using them the way they were intended. I have caught fish when using the minnows on a jig or a spinner rig for trolling suckers.

I bought one of the first televised kits myself and fished it hard for three years. Watching everybody catch fish left and right of me with everything else. A plain grub jig works so much better. I still have those four heads, space age polymer foam, and maybe someday I'm hoping they catch a fish with just some other plastics attached.

IMO Makes a great gag gift.

In all seriousness banjo minnows are the best lure I've owned. I was absolutely hypnotized by the infomercial as a kid back in 2000-01 and grabbed the original kit. I mainly fished shallow waters for bass when I was younger and I have probably caught 50+% of my fish on them. I don't consider them "magic" but do not understand why many people hate them. There are many ridiculous lures and tactics out there, but banjo minnows are just soft plastic lures that position the hook in a way to maximize hook set ratio and not hinder lure action. Frankly not many other lures offer this so-called "spastic" action. However they are not weedless, and need to be worked in relatively open areas to be used with any success. Full disclosure: I was not paid for this testimonial nor am I Wayne Hockmeyer.

Like your post ND!....As you said Banjo minnows are just another plastic and if used in the right areas, the right way, should catch bass, not unlike a fluke or sluggo.....To those that laugh and call Banjo's another infomercial gimic, maybe,MAYBE not!

I haven't used the banjo, but my oldest son used to catch a fair amount of bass on them about 10 years ago.

NDNick- "banjo minnows are just soft plastic lures that position the hook in a way to maximize hook set ratio and not hinder lure action." Really? My opinion of the banjo minnow has always been that it looks like it could catch northerns if used right, but it must be terribly hard to hook them with that hook so far out in front. Also, the hooks are so thin that it looks like any decent northern wouldn't have any problem straightening that out in a hurry.