• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So what's the deal? Do Bullheads sting?

DTro

I was always under the assumption that they don't. The resulting pain was only from the sharp pectoral fins and any reaction was from either the puncture itself or bacteria that made it worse.

Having been "stung" several hundred times, I can tell you that it is a different feeling than getting stuck with a needle or cutting yourself. To me I would say that yes there is some sort of poison or venom involved.

I also read a small bit in this years In-Sider that pointed to the same thing.

This is from the MNDNR:

“When the fish is alarmed, it raises and locks its spike fins into an upright position. The pain comes from when a person accidentally pokes himself on the spine, not from any poison released by the fish. Once you learn where the spines are located, catfish and bullheads areas safe to hold as any fish.”

However most everything else I found is along these lines:

“The freshwater catfish has typical dorsal and apectoral spines on each side. The striate of spines are responsible for a multitude of stings and envenomations in fishermen.”

“The barbels don’t inflict the notorious sting of the catfish. That’s done by the strongly developed pectoral fin spines, one on each side of the fish, and the dorsal fin. The species have variously developed poison glands at the base of these spines, which can inflict a mild to beelike sting.”

“Fry are easy to collect with a dip-net, larger bullheads are best caught with a killie trap baited with meat and left overnight in shallow water. Avoid handling them with bare hands as their fin-spines can inflict a painful sting.”

“Bullheads sting, protect your hands”

“Mishandle a bullhead while removing a fishhook or when placing one in the live well, and you can get horned or pricked with one of the sharp spines. The spines contain a poison that often hurts worse than a bee sting, and the pain and soreness can last a week. Bullheads and Catfish can actually use the sharp spines to attack other fish, I have seen this myself here in my home. I have a freshwater fish aquarium, in it I once had a bluegill, goldfish and a small bullhead. I noticed one day that the goldfish had a sore or bloody area near it’s tail. I soon learned how the injury had happened. I saw the bullhead literally ram the side of the goldfish and stick it with one of it’s spines. The goldfish went nuts, swimming around fast, later it appeared to be ok, except for another bloodied spot or wound on it’s side. I am sure if the bullhead continued attacking and pricking the goldfish in the right spot, enough times, it would of killed it.”

it is important to remember that bullheads are capable of piercing human skin and have a mild venom that will “””

“Bullhead fish cannot really sting you. In fact, they pose not threat to humans at all.”

“It is very important to remember to handle Bullheads carefully as they have sharp fins that will pierce human skin and deliver a mild venom.”

What's the real answer?

I have been stung a time or two, I will tell you they have something in them stingers, I have had my entire hand swell up from being stung, then other times, it wont hardly be noticed. I could poke my hand all day with a needle, and it wont swell up like it has from being stung from a bullhead on occasions.

It appears the question is still unanswered by the 'experts'. Most agree that the Madtoms have the most developed poisoning ability. Here is a link to the PA DNR blurb about catfish. Note the discussion about poison glands: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap13.htm

I'll take 100 Bullhead stings over one Willow Cat "Mad Tom"!

I'm pretty sure I'm immune to Bullhead stings and venom but early on I did have some issues on occasion.

Madtoms have the venom, bullheads and catfish do not. The irritation is from the actual wound and the skin surface irritants. I get itchy, red, and swollen skin after a poke from big walleye dorsal spines, bluegill spines, and bullhead spines...I just happen to handle more bullheads than anything so they get my ire more than the other fish. Probably a better question for a physician.

Correct chise. Madtoms do have a small amount of venom...enough for your hand or fingers to go numb for a while. Stonecat's are plentiful out here in Montana and you need to be careful.

Stonecat Madtom (Noturus flavus)

The spines present on the pectoral fins can deliver a painful sting if this fish is handled carelessly. Like other members of the genus they possess a poison gland at the base of the pectoral fins which secretes a venomous toxin that forms part of the mucus coating on these spines.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/dnap/rivfish/stonecat/tabid/1722/Default.aspx

I learned my lesson from stonecats one year. I thought I stumbled upon some baby flathead in the riffles. Ouch!

I still believe bullheads have venom and will until a biologist tells me otherwise. Maybe we should talk to Joel? I thought I read somewhere that the juveniles do have a very small amount, but the adults don't?

Nothing worse than being stung on the knuckles, venom or no venom.

I trust you are right Scott, but there sure is a lot of conflicting information out there about Bullheads

This is from Iowa DNR:

Catfishes are easily distinguished from the other fishes by their smooth scaleless bodies, eight elongated fleshy barbels or "whiskers" abouth their mouth, and the strong, sharp spines that are located at the insertion of the dorsal and pectoral fins. It is believed that the spines are adapted as defensive structures in the catfish family. A locking mechanism allows the fish to extend the spine outward when attacked or touched, making it hazardous for a predator to grasp it and nearly impossible to swallow. Madtoms and small bullheads have glands at the base of the spines that secrete a mild but painful venom when danger is threatened.

This from Live Science:

At least 1,250 species of catfish are venomous, a new study finds.

Most catfish use their venom for defense. Some in North America can inflict a sting that humans notice. Elsewhere in the world, a few catfish species can even kill humans.

The new count of venomous catfish — which may be more than 1,600, the scientists estimate — is much higher than thought.

This from BioKids:

Young black bullheads may fall prey to largemouth bass and other basses, as well as walleye. They are protected from some predation by their venomous pectoral spines, that can inflict a painful sting.

I pulled a stinger out of a cats lip last year and it was just the spike no meat and it looked Like a little saw. Does that have something to do with the extra sting?

Madtoms have the venom, bullheads and catfish do not.

Technically, bullheads are catfish and plenty of the thousands of different catfish species around the planet are venomous. Methinks DTRO is reading the same article as me.

I don't think channels, flats, or bullheads fall into the poisonous category though. The orginal scientific article that DTRO talks about at LiveScience uses a black bullhead as a comparison to other species, specifically mentioning that the black bullhead was used because it was non-venomous.

So my guess would be that infections or irritation comes from the bacteria and/or slime on the spines. We have all been pricked at least once, and we all know it can hurt like hell if you really get it good.

I had a dead one once in my bait tank and carried it down to the woods to chuck it back there, and on my wind-up a spine went into my hand and when I threw it the energy from me throwing it pushed the spine into my hand. That was painful for about a week.

So my guess would be that infections or irritation comes from the bacteria and/or slime on the spines. We have all been pricked at least once, and we all know it can hurt like hell if you really get it good.

I had a dead one once in my bait tank and carried it down to the woods to chuck it back there, and on my wind-up a spine went into my hand and when I threw it the energy from me throwing it pushed the spine into my hand. That was painful for about a week.

I'm gonna go with Jeff on this one... I've always thought it was the slime.

And when you get jacked good by one of those spines.... I'm feeling for a little while.

I will have to pay more attention to the slime next time I have a cut on my hand. Had two pretty deep fresh(same day) cuts on my bullhead grabbing hand last week but I can't recall for sure if it hurt while grabbing them or not.

I will have to pay more attention to the slime next time I have a cut on my hand. Had two pretty deep fresh(same day) cuts on my bullhead grabbing hand last week but I can't recall for sure if it hurt while grabbing them or not.

Nothing like getting those cuts from fishing line right in the creases of your hand on the under knuckles... Ooowwww... mix in all the fixens of a night of fishin in those wounds and they are smarting for while. crazy

Hopefully Andy Anderson chimes in on this one. I know a couple of years ago he had one stick him really bad and had to go in to the ER. Hand turned black and blue and the doc said they'd to their best to try and save his thumb! In the end it turned out okay, but the doc had him pretty worried there for a bit.

AA where are you?

Well, you got me curious so I went to the books (there may be conflicting information in other books, but I'm not going to dig through the literature for something trivial). From the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fishes, Whales, and Dolphins, 7th edition: Family Ictaluridae...The madtoms, genus Noturus, are equipped with a venom gland at the base of the pectoral spine, which is often grooved, enabling them to inflict a painful, although not serious, sting. In the description the genus Notorus is the only genera listed as having a venomous spine.

There are serrations on the bullheads' spines, that's one identifying feature for telling apart MN's 3 bullhead species. My co-worker got one broken off under his fingernail...the puss built up until the pressure forced the little serrated spine back out. Ouch!

Side note on the Audubon book...I got my copy from my uncle when I was 8 years old...the book spine is about shot and a few pages are loose, but I really treasured that thing...I used to sneak it with to church and draw fish during the sermon. What's the saying, its better to be fishing and thinking about god than in church thinking about fishing?