• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chainsaw recos

UNIT

Looking to purchase a new chainsaw but don't want to break the bank. What are some good recommendations for something middle of the road good and reliable for periodic use around the yard.

Thanks

UNIT

I have a john deere. Not top of the line in chainsaws but it gets the job done around the yard and then some. I would look on that guy c r a i g's L is t and see if you can find a decent one used.

John Deere saws are marketed under the brand HomeLite last I checked. My dad had a Homelite. They are absolute junk.

The only brand I would strong recommend is Stihl. They are the best and extremely reliable. When you need a saw, you need one thats not going to quit part way thru. Go with a Stihl.

The only 2 other brands you could consider:

Husquvarna

Echo

Both make decent saws, not as bullet proof as Stihl.

I was in the logging business for nearly 10 years and used both Stihl and Husquvarna professionally. I thought my Husky was much more saw for the buck but the Stihls also did well. I have never seen a Homelite that I would bother wasing my time with.

I have an Echo that has been good, although I don't do cut a ton, just trimming and wood for the firepit every year. No real complaints and mines about 6 years old.

I do quite a bit of bucking and limbing of fallen trees on my property for heating the house with wood. I have a Stihl FarmBoss. It is Stihl's best selling saw.

For the money, and the fact that there are a lot of Stihl dealers (and they know their stuff - Stihl's are only sold by licensed and trained dealers not big box stores) it is a fantastic saw. Can run a 16 to 20 bar and has plenty of power.

I have an Echo with a 20" bar and it has been a good saw. I cut between 15 and 20 chord of wood per heating season. I bought my from a small engine shop that used to be in Big Lake before Echos were sold in the big box stores.

Friends have stihls, stepson stihl, and I know they are good. But several times they (they have 16" bar) have come to get my cheepo Craftsman 20" saw wink Whatever you get, I recommend a 20" bar. Don't "need" it most of the time, but I like it a bit longer. I just use it for same stuff you will, around the cabin, dropping aspen or oak that are ready to topple or minor trimming for campfire. I got it free too, so can't complain! ha! Basic saw, but I run fresh gas clean it up and always starts and runs nice. I personally would get Stihl or Husky if I did more cutting, but I don't need to spend that money for yard work, ha! Good luck.

UNIT - Stihl and Husquvarna make the best saws. You can get those starting in the $300 range (and up) and you'll have a really good quality saw. Since you said that you don't want to break the bank and just want to use it for periodic yard use, I'd just got the special from Menards or Home Depot.

We had a Homelite at the cabin and it lasted exactly three seasons, but we used it 5-6 times per season. Nobody would repair that brand so I ended up buying a Husquvarna that I'm very pleased with owning. My dad runs a Craftsman chainsaw and is happy with it. He uses it once a year at his suburban house to get down a tree or two that are generally no bigger than an arm or leg.

If you truly aren't going to use it for much, get the big box store special of the week. If you're going to be cutting down multiple trees per year then you'll end up buying a new saw in a few years, so you'd might as well get one now that'll last you for decades. It all depends on what you really intend to do with it.

I bought a still 12 years ago after my house was hit by a tornado. I lost over 20 trees and insurance hooked me up with exactly $600 to remove them all. Instead i bought a Stihl. 12 years later I have cut countless additional trees and have changed the plugs exactly 2 times. It is a great motor that starts identically today as it did 12 years ago. I would agree though with Bar length, I have an 18" Farm boss model and there are times I wish it was a bit longer.

You will pay more but I am absolutely certain you will get every penny back out of it. I am sure Husgvarna is a good saw as well but have no experience.

Chainsaws are like Pick up Trucks.....once you have one you find out how many friends you really do have.

Hey Box hows your Aspen. smile

I own a Stihl 041

Runs great and throws chips like theres no tomorrow. Any saw will do that when new.

At some point any saw will need general maintenance and repair.

Parts and service is the only thing that'll keep a saw running and cutting at its optimum. Any good small engine shop should be able work any chainsaw.

A good authorized service center should be able to do the work in their sleep. Availability of parts is a consideration with brand. Carb kits, bars and chains should not be a problem with any saw. Then you get into the plastic parts or handles broken by yanking and a saw with a pinched a bar.`

Back to size, it does matter. Under powered or small bar on large trees is not ideal. Neither is the 041 with a 20+" for just limbing or work or up ladder or lift.

I agree with most of what has been said. I own a stihl and an older Jonsered. I can not believe the Jonsered is not in the same league as a Husky or a stihl. If a stihl and a Jonsered were very comparable in bar length, power, bells and whistles, etc and the Jonsered was cheaper I'd have absolutely no problem buying the Jonsered.

I do about 100 full cord / year, cutting down the trees, limbing, cutting into 9' length, and then into 15 1/2" pieces.

Yes, it's alot of wood.

I use Husqvarnas. I have one that was bought new in '97 and have had to put a new carburator and 2 new bars on it.

It's still a daily user.

If you were going to use it around the house, it would last probably 87 years and 62 days, as far as I can figure.

I cut anything from 3" to trees that the 24" bar can't reach the middle of, all oak.

John Deere saws are marketed under the brand HomeLite last I checked. My dad had a Homelite. They are absolute junk.

The only brand I would strong recommend is Stihl. They are the best and extremely reliable. When you need a saw, you need one thats not going to quit part way thru. Go with a Stihl.

The only 2 other brands you could consider:

Husquvarna

Echo

Both make decent saws, not as bullet proof as Stihl.

Well Considering it starts and runs like a champ I wouldnt label it junk, but it gets the job done. I plan to upgrade to a stihl or dolmer sometime in the near future.

I haven't had the greatest experience with echo motors.

Friends have stihls, stepson stihl, and I know they are good. But several times they (they have 16" bar) have come to get my cheepo Craftsman 20" saw wink Whatever you get, I recommend a 20" bar. Don't "need" it most of the time, but I like it a bit longer. I just use it for same stuff you will, around the cabin, dropping aspen or oak that are ready to topple or minor trimming for campfire. I got it free too, so can't complain! ha! Basic saw, but I run fresh gas clean it up and always starts and runs nice. I personally would get Stihl or Husky if I did more cutting, but I don't need to spend that money for yard work, ha! Good luck.

I agree with the longer bar but I have a little different opinion about how long. The real advantage with the longer bar is that you have longer reach and so it is easier on your back. Just remember that for every 2" of added bar length you have at least 4" of added chain length so your saw needs enough power to adequately handle a longer chain. As saw power increases so too does saw weight, which will add to the stress on your back.

There isn't a tree in MN that can't be handled using a 16" bar except maybe a couple in the Itasca State Park. With that said, I will still recommend a minimum of 18" but I would hesitate to go to 20 inches. We used 18" bars for logging because we found that 20" was too long and proved to be more dangerous. Those that used them found they were in the dirt too often or catching on small brush too much. They were basically in the way more than not. I'm sure you can learn to be more careful but in the mean time you'll spend plenty on chain sharpening/replacing and whip marks on your face from the brush. For the average joe that uses them non-professionally I would recommend an 18" bar. Actually, home sawing or professional, in MN I wouldn't recommend anything but an 18".

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

I agree with most of what has been said. I own a stihl and an older Jonsered. I can not believe the Jonsered is not in the same league as a Husky or a stihl. If a stihl and a Jonsered were very comparable in bar length, power, bells and whistles, etc and the Jonsered was cheaper I'd have absolutely no problem buying the Jonsered.

In my logging days I owned a Husky 4.0cc and another guy had a Jonserud 70E. If memory serves me correctly that 70E was over 6cc. We both used 18" bars and I can tell you that my Husky cut circles around the Jonny. I also learned that I had less mechanical problems as well. Actually, I had no mechanical problems with that Husky.