• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 inch bullheads

Scott K

10" would have benefits too other than sorting when catching bait. I'd hope it would be more of a deterrent to those channels who like sucking on them. Might possibly send of a sound signature when struggling that would appeal more to a big cat. However the flip side to that is maybe bigger bullies would be less active. But for me the greatest benefit is actually reeling in something that puts up a fight on those slow nights. Where is my coffee emoticon?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
This is the new wording, that is currently waiting the Gov's signature.

Subpart 4. The proposed language clarifies that suckers over 12 inches that are legally purchased maybe transported alive with a current sales receipt. Currently, the law allows aquaculture businesses to sell to vendors suckers over 12 inches to be sold as bait (Minnesota Statutes, section 17.4982, subdivision. 18). However, the transportation rules (Minnesota Statutes, section 97C. 205, and Minnesota Rules, part 6262.0100, subpart 4) for a person requires these fish to be transported dead. The reason that anglers buy these larger suckers is primarily as a bait to attract larger northern pike and muskie. As such, it is preferred that these fish be alive. Suckers are not considered an undesirable species and do not significantly alter water chemistry and fish communities when present. This language is needed and reasonable to allow the live transport of these legally purchased fish.

In reading the newly released 2010 fishing regulations booklet regarding Suckers... which says...

Quote:
Suckers larger tan 12" may only be transported alive if purchased from a licensed aquaculture facility ..Person must have valid receipt from facility on their person.

So assumming we can't purchase longer than 12" suckers from our local bait store like the New wording suggest to me. Does anybody know the nearest Aquaculture facility with fair prices and more importantly good customer service for the purchasing and legal`transportation of my longer than 12" suckers?... smilecrazy

Pier you can only purchase suckers that are from a bait dealer that are over 12 inches and you must keep you receipt for them to prove it.

I was told by a bait dealer and a CO this during spearing season. I think its another bullshi law but thats the way they do things

I think aquaculture facility is just a fancy term for a bait shop that has the proper licensure.

They did this so that bait shops can legally sell minnows. I don't think they would bypass the locals.

I could be wrong though.

I think aquaculture facility is just a fancy term for a bait shop that has the proper licensure.

They did this so that bait shops can legally sell minnows. I don't think they would bypass the locals.

I could be wrong though.

It is listed under New rule changes in the newly released Reg book and I'm fairly certain an Aquaculture Facility is not a bait store.

Not the end of world either way but I hope I'm wrong.

It appears nothing has changed in the New 2010 booklet regarding bullies as of yet but those were printed a while back.

As of yesterday the DNR has not released the on-line 2010 Regulations PDA file.

So maybe they are fine tuning or updating some of the late breaking Reg changes....maybe!

Well a little birdie just fowarded me some info that came out today in the register for the new Bullhead proposal.

Barring unforseen circumstances, this will become new law this year!

Here’s what I think is going on with the Suckers from what I gather. It was ALWAYS legal to possess suckers larger than 12”, as long as they came from an Licensed Aquaculture Facility and you had proof of that.

So, I don’t think this is a new rule.

However, it sounds like clarification is on its way shortly with the post I made above.

I am kind of a outsider to the flathead world and I am wondering why they even had that rule in effect to begin with?

Personally, I couldn't care less if you used big bullies for bait and I don't understand why that is a regulation from the get go?

That's what caught my eye.

In the Newly released 2010 Regs booklet it does have the NEW red arrow highlighted and pointing at the...... Suckers larger than 12" may only be transported alive if purchased from a licensed aquaculture facility ..Person must have valid receipt from facility on their person.

But like you said changes and corrections can be made at a later time.

Here ya go Gary, you were right:

The following passage appears on the North Central Regional Aquaculture HSOforum:Aquaculture farm licenses are required to raise aquatic animals for sale. Various endorsements of the aquatic farm license are also required. These include minnow dealer and retailer licenses, minnow exporting license aquatic farm vehicle endorsement, minnow dealer vehicle license, minnow retailer vehicle license, exporting minnow vehicle license, fish vendor license, sucker egg taking license, and game fish packers license.

If you want to use suckers larger than 12" go to your bait shops minnow dealer and buy them or have your bait shop get you a receipt from their minnow dealer and you are set for the sucker season.

Well a little birdie just fowarded me some info that came out today in the register for the new Bullhead proposal.

Barring unforseen circumstances, this will become new law this year!

tweet tweet hope that little birdie flys into my boat to tell me that news grin

Originally Posted By: dtro

So whats the technical name for worm farm. whistle

Good question, since canadian nightcrawlers are wild caught anyhoo.

Am I reading that right...if this goes through, you can only take bullheads between 7 and 10 inches?

Quote:
A. As described in this subpart, up to 100 bullheads greater than 7.0 inches and

equal to or less than 10.0 inches may be taken, possessed, and held for use as live bait.