• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Capt. Phil Harris Dies

buzbunni

Wont forget when he saw the bubbles and said they were crab fart bubbles and slammed the crab in that spot. funny memmory.rip phil

That was pretty funny! I'm very saddened by this news, but I am fired up to watch the show again. American Idol, blah blah blah, and more blah. Gimme some crabbin boats and life on the edge.

After the issues he had last year it seemed like he kind of took stock of his life. It sounded like Phil's mom dies of something similar, so he kind of knew what may occur. At least that's the impression I got from the After the Catch shows. All those guys have a live life to the fullest philosopy though. If I remember right on one of the after shows Phil and Sid made a deal to switch Jake's. Phil wanted his son to see what crabbing is like when you work for someone else.

God's speed Phil.

A FISHERMAN'S EPITAPH

Please caulk my coffin so it floats,

Then moor it with the fishing boats.

Take pains to see it doesn't leak

As it rides the tides of Dosoris Creek.

I know I'll be contented there

With the sun and sand and salty air.

Put fishing gear inside with me -

What follows death is mystery.

The Lord may let me fish some night,

When the bunker bass begin to bite,

And some small short that I've released

I'll catch full-grown when I'm deceased.

Jack Burns

Seems to me folks are being a little judgemental of Captain Phil and others with regards to the lifestyle these guys live. The simple truth of the matter is that the occupation these people have chosen does not lend itself to a healthy lifestyle.

Captain Phil LIVED more in his 53 years than most of us ever will. I'd take 53 Phil Harris years over a hundred Richard Simmons years anytime.

RIP Captain Phil and may your family and friends find comfort in the legacy you have left behind.

Nobody forced those cigs and Red Bulls down his throat. In general, yes those stressful 30 hr days bouncing around in those waves, can't be healthy, but I have to think that some of his decision also affected his life.

I have no doubt he lived a great life, and probably went out a happy man. I bet his family might have liked a little more time with him though.

I just read that the cameras were there the entire time during his stay in the hospital that lead to his untimely death. They said that RIGHT after he came out of a medically induced coma he wanted the producers and such to keep filming until the end. They had told him they wanted to keep their distance and he couldn't talk and wrote on a piece of paper that he did not want them to stop filming. It is unsure if they will air the piece of him in the hospital or not....RIP Capt Phil.

UPDATE: February 18, 2010: A private memorial service will be held for Captain Phil this Saturday, February 19. At the request of the family, all details are confidential. When more information becomes available, it will be posted here.

UPDATE: February 9, 2010: It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. - Jake and Josh Harris

Statement from Discovery - Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew.

February 3, 2010: No one ever said Captain Phil Harris wasn't tough. Today, dad showed some good signs of improvement, squeezing our hands and even summoning his trademark Captain's bluntness by telling the doctors and nurses, "Don't f*ck up." We are encouraged but still very cautious. It is a long road ahead, but its made more bearable and comforting knowing your thoughts and prayers are with us. We are strong because of you -- our fans. Thanks and we will continue to update you as best we can going forward.

February 1, 2010: Josh and Jake Harris thank everyone for their heartfelt thought and prayers. The Deadliest Catch community has always been more like family than just fans, and Discovery Channel joins the Harris boys in thanking everyone for their wishes of support. Captain Phil is resting comfortably and is in the care of excellent doctors and nurses. We will update everyone on his progress as best we can.

January 30, 2010: Phil Harris suffered a stroke while in port off-loading from the F/V Cornelia Marie. He has been transported to a medical facility and is receiving the best care possible. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and we will make more information available as we know it.