• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

26 or 28 inch barrel

What kind of gun are you looking at? 12 or 20, auto or I/O? Makes a big difference. As a rule I would go with a 28” barrel for pheasants and a 26” for grouse. A little longer sight plane and a little more weigh up front to keep your swing smooth and moving is never a bad thing.

Tink

What kind of gun are you looking at? 12 or 20, auto or I/O? Makes a big difference. As a rule I would go with a 28” barrel for pheasants and a 26” for grouse. A little longer sight plane and a little more weigh up front to keep your swing smooth and moving is never a bad thing.

Tink

Ditto

If you like the way the gun feels and swings go for it.

I have a 28" 870 and 26" Mossberg 935. I see and feel a lot of difference between the two, but barrel length isn't one of them.

I think the idea that a 26" in brush is better than a 28" or that a 28" swings better is mostly in the head of the operator, you are talking about a 2 inch difference and few ounce difference in something that is likely 47-50 long and over 6 lbs. Might make a difference if you are shooting skeet in the olympics.

Also, with modern 12ga loads barrel length doesn't matter.

IMHO, its all about usability. For grouse in the brush, the shorter the better. With pheasants and waterfowl I like the longer barrels for smoother shooting and a more dedicated swing. I bring by auto burner X2 28" grouse hunting but its better suited in more open areas. My ideal grouse gun would have a 24" barrel and phes would be 28". SO......26 seems like a good all round choice.

It's just 2". It's not that big of a deal. The question to ask is how does it feel when you mount the gun and swing it. If things are lined up right and it feels good then go for it. That 26" barrel would be good for the grouse woods too.

Short barrels start fast but they also stop fast too. I tried a Browning Citori with 24" barrels for one season and I couldn't hit a thing with it. Michael McIntosh, author of multiple books on shotgunning, prefers 30-32" barrels in his bird guns. That's a little long for me to carry through the woods. What ever you choose, I think stock fit is much more important than 2" +/- in barrel length.

Most think I'm crazy but I carry an upland special with a 21" barrel. Now I mostly hunt grouse and rarely hunt the trail so the short barrel is easy to swing in the thick stuff and comes up ultra fast. If pheasant is your main game and grouse second choice i would never advise that short of a barrel. The gun seems to work fine for me for pheasants but I'm use to it. If it's 50/50 grouse pheas..go with the shortest you feel comfortable with. Trips to the trap range should get you comfortable with whatever length you choose!

Barrel length by itself is not a good indicator. It's not as if all guns with a 28" barrel are going to be longer than those with 26" barrels. Action type, and stock length make a big difference as well. A guy shooting an o/u with 30" barrels will often times have a smaller gun overall than a guy shooting and auto with 26" barrels due to the large difference in the length of the action. Forget about barrel length and focus on finding a gun that fits well and swings comfortably.

If you want a quick handling gun for snap shooting find one that puts the balance point between your hands. If you are looking to pass shoot ducks find a gun that puts the balance point more towards the end of the barrel, because you'll follow through better.

Im getting older and have been looking at the ultra light shotguns by benelli and remington. I am 90% sure i am going to buy the benelli ultra light and am leaning towards a 24 in barrel. this gun will be upland only. for the last 11 years i have been shooting a benelli sbe in 26 in. My nephew has a sbe 24 in and loves it..