• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip and Tricks for Ice Fishing....why didn't I think of that sooner!!!

FrontenacPike

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season I saw an interesting portable shelf called a "Mag's Side Baiter," designed to work with flipover houses like mine. They were $15 a piece at the big 'C,' but it doesn't look like they carry them anymore. Instead of dropping $30 to see if I'd like them, I made a couple myself for the price of some scrap lumber, a little bit of hardware and an hour or so of my time:

180889_1608631492812_1146949577_31427617

Wow, looks like I found my project for this weekend. Could you take a picture of the underside? I'm curious how it attaches to the poles while remaining stable and level. Too bad my Clam has round tubing, going to have to come up with something.
Hey there Slayer, yeah I have square tubes which helps. It's notched with just enough clearance so that it fits snugly, with the front notch angled to match the angle of the pole.

The thing is secured with some flexcord (Got it out of an old tent pole)and a screw - same arrangement in the front.

I'll try to get up some more photos but you can see the original article if you Google for "Mag's Side Baiter."

I have a small (4x6 inch) plano case where the day's jigs, ect, are stored. Line the inside of one of the compartments with tin foil and place glow jig(s) in that compartment. Use a dirt cheap disposable camera to flash the jigs in the compartment. Gives a good instant glow and saves time shining a light on the jig. When the film is done (~ 30 shots) just keep winding as the flash will work for a hundred or more shots.

Harbor Freight sells the foam mats that interlock like a jigsaw puzzle. These are handy for keeping feet warm in the shack and are more portable since they can be taken apart.

I saw this tip used with the deep sea guys and their large hooks, but i thought it was a pretty good one.

Small Hook Sharpener - Tape (2) chain saw sharpening stones/dremels together. Just slide the hook back and forth a couple times in the slot...makes them sharp as ever! I like that it's small and fits in my small tackle box. $7.00 at Home Depot.

You can tape (2) larger metal sharpening rods together for the larger hooks, or if you want a larger tool.

My 2c

full-26116-6467-img_20110301_00042.jpg

This works great. If you can weld 2 round files together and add a cheap handle--it will truly sharpen anything. Very fast and very efficient. I sharpen saltwater hooks for tuna, etc as well as hooks for walleyes etc. when in MN.

1. For the cigar smokers out there, most of the holders made to clip to the poles of a golf cart also clip nicely to the poles of a flip over house. Makes it easier to play a fish when you can put your cigar someplace that won't get bumped or knocked to the ice.

This happens to be the one I use, but there are other types.

full-4198-6556-cigarclip.jpg

2. Adding a short handle to the disk style camera cord holder makes it way, way easier to aim the camera.

3.I fish with my vex on top of a 5 gal bucket in the corner of the house. Keeping the vex off the ice makes the battery charge last longer. But I also toss my catch into that same pail. By cutting a slot in the rim of the pail, I can slide the fish into it without removing the lid/vex combo.

My rods seems to always get tangled and stuff thrown on them, so I decided to try these Rod Savers in my Predator. I have these in my rod lockers in my boat.

I was hoping to mount them in the front where it's angled (since that's pretty much unused space), but it's so bowed up there it didn't mount right. So i decided on the side behind me and my seats...towards the front (since most of my heavy stuff gets shuffled towards the back of the tub for pulling).

Works pretty well!

full-26116-6741-img_20110310_00053.jpg