• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip and Tricks for Ice Fishing....why didn't I think of that sooner!!!

FrontenacPike

This Tread is dedicated to tip and trick we use. I, along with other will really be interested in seeing some of those tips you have that will make us all say " why didn't I think of that" This tread will also be a great starting post for those first time or new ice fisherman. Keep em coming guys!!

Trick 1: The Problem: Transducer frozen in the holder. Cut a piece of the press and seal suran wrap (twice as big as the cup) double it over sticking the sticky sides together. Next lay it on top of your transducer and trip around it with a scissors. Lay it in the bottom of the cup/holder. You'll never have a freeze up problem again.

Trick 2: Extend your battery life. Get it off the ice. I have a 4x6 piece of styrofoam that I set mine on. A lot of other guys I've seen set it on a bucket, same principle.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone post tips with PAM cooking spray. I heard rumors about using it on augers, but I can't confirm it.

Problem: Fish getting wraped up in transducer cord / puck. The solution, Drill a second hole right next to your fishing hole. I use one hole for fishing the other for just my transducer.

If you use multiple batteries for a vex or marcum, camera, lights for the porty ect, you can keep them "alive" longer between charges by using a soft sided cooler, the 6 pack kind, and when you get to the lake open up one or two hand warmers and throw them on the bottom of the cooler and put your batt. in on top of them and zip it shut. The heat from the hand warmers will keep your batteries nice and warm. They will hold that charge up longer when they are kept warm. Ever get to the lake and go and hook up your vex battery and it is at 3/4 strenght when it was fully charged at home/ They loose some strenght when they get cold. My X-mas tip of the day!!

THEHAWK: Great Idea, I've also had that, it was fully charged when I left home...70%??? This year when I go to LOW sleeper trip and bring several batteries I will remember this. Usually the trip up there I just pack them in a bag in the back of the truck. From now on they are staying in the cab.

Awesome, keep em coming.

When fishing for the bigger preditor fish I will often cut a second hole at an angle to my fishing hole ...It makes pulling fish up the hole easier and doubles as a place to hang the transducer,,,Another tip for flip over users bring a piece of 1/4 playwood to place your heater on to keep the ice from getting slick and cut down on condensation

LAS

When hole hoping, not wiping off the ducer, enough water can build up and freeze the plastic to the ducer on the way home or when you go out the next time IMO.

I have found putting the ducer in the pocket sideways works best for me. It fits in their and does not allow the flat smooth surface of the ducer to mate with the foam pad in the ducer pocket grin

i guess not really a tip but here is a decent one for you

(Expecially helpful with rattle reel) make your own knots instead of using the typical store 4 or 5 loop, make a 6-7 or even 8 loop bobber stop they stay better and are much cheeper than buying them individually.

always bring a large magnet that you can attach to your line (retrieving keys, as well as other things).

if you have a suitcase style ice house ie clam 5600 or similar, use a large rubberband to put around all your things you stack on your house such as buckets, seats, auger, and it keeps it all as one thing and is less likely to fall over.

all i can think of for now

I hate frozen fish...bring a 5 gallon bucket, fill with 1/3 water 1/3 ice or snow. Toss fish in the bucket to keep alive until it is time to clean them. In extreme cold temps best to keep bucket in the house with you.

Even if the fish is dead, i still throw in the bucket to keep cool and fresh for the cleaning table.

Ring the dinner bell when pan fishing. Rig a pole with a huge shinie spoon or rap. Sunnies get currious and come in waves to check out all the commotion. This is really effective if you have a underwater cam. Once you draw in a large school quickly swap rods with a panfish rig...and let the fun begin.

Ring the dinner bell when pan fishing. Rig a pole with a huge shinie spoon or rap. Sunnies get currious and come in waves to check out all the commotion. This is really effective if you have a underwater cam. Once you draw in a large school quickly swap rods with a panfish rig...and let the fun begin.

this kind of gos along with his when you hook a pan fish keep it on the line a little while once you get him a little ways up it will draw others in to see whats going on

Originally Posted By: FrontenacPike

this kind of gos along with his when you hook a pan fish keep it on the line a little while once you get him a little ways up it will draw others in to see whats going on

Ah, Thanks for the tip. I thought it would have a reverse effect. Will be putting my camera down and trying this.

Not much of a tip but I use an old backpack to carry all of my jig boxes, bait jars, food, pliers, spare line, etc. Everything is compact and in one place. Plus if you walk out on the ice you can just wear it on your back.

If you still use jig sticks and want to carry alot of them and keep them organized and untangled, a nice idea is to take the cardboard tubes used for Christmas wrapping paper and cut them to about 18" or a few inches shorter than your jig sticks. then use duct tape to tape one end shut. I made 6 of them some at different lengths and some with larger/smaller diameters to accomodate rods with longer pegs. I then duct taped all 6 tubes in a row together and put this in the large pocket of the backpack. I was able to carry 6 jig sticks and never have a tangle problem. Also you can put a few small rubberbands on the end of the jig sticks and then slide one up over the line and hook your jig to it so it doesn't move around or get caught on anything when transporting your rods.

Finally I noticed that since the jig sticks stick out the top of the backpack, the large pouch has to stay open which is fine, but the zippers tended to slide down and open the bag when i was walking. To prevent this I stuck a safety pin through the zipper line on each side below the zippers themselves. The zippers would only go as far as the safety pin so I could set how open or closed I wanted the large pouch to be.

1) Use a UV Blacklight LED Light to charge your glow jigs- works way better and faster than standard LED lights. These are sometimes available at auto parts stores as leak detector lights or available on that online auction site for as little as 5 bucks.

2) Try using a Plano arrow case (hard plastic) for your ice rods, a lot less expensive than an official ice rod case.

my oldman always swore by spraying the snowblower with cooking spray? guess i never thought to use it on the auger!

EK

I tried that cooking spray on my snowblower, used the stuff we had in the kitchen. It was butter flavored. Every dog around came to eat our snow and mark it as their own.

My biggest tip, or the thing I encourage others to do who are with me and spend half their day on the ice fiddling with their equipment: spend the time at home to get everything ready, have a couple rigs ready to go, your tackle organized, hooks sharp, heater tested, porty clean, etc. And be sure to clean up everything when you get home.

You dont have a lot of time on the ice, make the most of it. Spend the time and be prepared. Like an astronaut training for years for their space walk. Be ready for that fish of a lifetime.