• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plasma or LCD?

Bought two TV's on black Friday & trying to decide which one to keep.

1) Panasonic 42" Plasma, 1080p ($650.00)

2) Sony 46" LCD, 1080p; 120mhz ($950.00 with free Sony Blu-ray player)

I like the price on the plasma and it looks great. The Sony just arrived at the store and I'm picking it up tomorrow to try it out so I haven't been able to watch it yet.

Thoughts?

I think LCD's have a longer lifespan, we went through this when we got our last TV last winter, I didn't like the glare the plasmas have over the LCD's. I have 2 LCD's a Samsung 1080 and a 720 Visio. The Samsung is awsome the visio is nice but regret not going 1080 on that one.

The last article I read and that was a few years ago said the life of most of the Plasma and LCD was somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000 hours so the technology will be outdated before the set wears out. I have a Panasonic Viera 1080P plasma and it is great. If your LCD was a 240hz I might have said take back the plasma and keep the LCD but now you might have to go into a store and see if you think it is a better picture. Is your plasma bright enough in the room where it is located ? Do you watch a lot of fast paced sports the plasma might be better then a 120hz but a 240hz would give it a run for its money. One of the things to look at if you go to the store and look at a demo of your TV is to see if you can detect motion blur on fast paced scenes. Hope this info helps make the decision a little easier.

jimalm hit it right on the head. If you are going to be viewing the TV in a bright room the LCD is the way to go.

If you are watching mainly sports or fast paced action the plasma is definitely better.If you go to the store where it is brightly lit you will be able to see the difference in screen brightness and reflective picture between the plasma and the LCD.The plasma is going to be significantly dimmer but if you watch your TV mainly at night or in a dark room the plasma with its lower price is going to be the ticket.

I was thinking of getting a new TV, my 15 year TV works fine, but lacking the quality. whats the difference from say 120hz to a 240hz? I notice that the higher hz brings the price up, and price is not a factor, I just want a good TV with good qaulity.

I was thinking of getting a new TV, my 15 year TV works fine, but lacking the quality. whats the difference from say 120hz to a 240hz? I notice that the higher hz brings the price up, and price is not a factor, I just want a good TV with good qaulity.

The faster the Hz = The faster the refresh rate which in turn gives you a better quality picture when it comes to faster moving shows like sports so it will help avoid motion blur or trails behind the moving object.

jims got the TV thing down pat!!

I did home theater installs for a year and got to know all the ins and outs- good and bad. When your doing a $100,000.00 job the customer usually wants nothing but the best so you had to keep up with the technology.

I have a 50' Panasonic plasma but my next one will be a form of LCD would be my guess but that will be years from now.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
Alright, question- is a $10 HDMI cable just as good as a $100 cable?

I've heard the answer is yes to that one.

They might be a better build and use higher quality materials but if it works why spend more. I am using the one that came with my DirectTV and the good one is still in the package.

I would spend more on good speaker cable if you were putting in a surround system.