• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking about a deer rifle

I hunt in a rifle zone, but currently use a smooth barrel shotgun. I am thinking about getting a rifle. My shotgun is a benelli supernova. I also have a t/c omega z5 ml.

I would like the rifle I choose be similar in value/performance to the two guns I have. I am happy with those purchases. To me they are reliable, rugged, functional and a great value. I would like my rifle choice to be similar.

One gun I have found so far is the marlin xl7. Anything else I should look into?

Frosty, I'd figure out what kind of action bolt,auto,etc. Then the caliber you're thinking 30-06, 270, etc. Synthetic or wood? Then your price range. Then go handle them at a cabela's or something the different models, shoulder them and look for what gun feels nice and balanced. I got my Remington BDL 30-06 bolt when I was 12 so 26 years ago and it's like brand new yet, all the companies seem to turn out a good rifle nowaday. Good Luck!

Purdy tough to go wrong on this. Almost anything will kill a deer, with a good enough shot.

I've heard mixed reviews on the new Marlin bolt-action ... they sure are cheap, though! Remington's got a cheapo, too ... 770, IIRC ... seems to always come with a scope ... under $400 for the combo, IIRC.

Not too many years ago, I recall seein' Marlin .30-30's goin' for the low $300's, on-sale.

Sometimes ya can get a good deal on a used rifle, too.

If you've got some wide open spaces, and a nice rest to shoot off, ya might consider something with a flatter trajectory and tolerable recoil ... 7mm-08 or .308 come to mind. I hear the Tikka's are purdy good for the price ... $500 - $600 ... vs. $700+ for Winchester, Browning, or the nicer Remingtons.

If you're in thicker stuff, I'd try to get something that has nice open-sights that line-up when ya get a good cheek-weld. I find most bolt-actions, that come with open-sights, aren't high enough for me ... making them purdy worthless. In fact, the only rifles I can think of, that come with open-sights, that come up for me ok, are the Ruger 77 Safari and purdy much any Marlin levergun ... the Winchesters I have are good, too.

I plan on starting with open sites. Thinking either 30-06 or .270 I figure bolt action should do fine.

I know almost nothing about the various cartridge types. It is kind of overhwelming to wade through. I am leaning towards new, but used isn't totally out of the question...

In my opinion a properly mounted low-power quality scope beats iron sights any day. in my opinion if you are shooting that fast with iron sights you are pointing-not aiming. Another good rifle to look at is the Remington 7600 pump, fairly light and decent hunting accuracy. I personally like the .308. Only 100-150 fps. slower than a 30-06 but about 25-30% less recoil. I have a Rem. 7600 in .308 with a synthetic stock and one of the new "squishy" recoil pads. I can shoot that thing at the range all day long. I have also heard good things about the 7mm-08. Real light on recoil yets packs a good punch.

I think you can't go wrong with a savage. I don't own a 308, but I wouldn't mind having one. I have a 243 savage and it is not the prettiest dog in the fight, but with the accutrigger, it is hard to beat. Savage has pretty good barrels and you can't beat that trigger. Most people who go with the remington's have trigger work done eventually, which is not cheap. I have heard good things about the marlins as well, but my first choice would be a savage. Fleet Farm has combo's on sale usually for around 400-450 which includes a decent scope.

I plan on starting with open sites. Thinking either 30-06 or .270 I figure bolt action should do fine.

I know almost nothing about the various cartridge types. It is kind of overhwelming to wade through. I am leaning towards new, but used isn't totally out of the question...

Again, it'll be tough to find a bolt-action with open sights ... let alone, usable.

At that, if money's a concern, just mount the cheapest Simmons/Bushnell/Barska ya can find ... ya can always get somethin' nicer next year!

There are more, but for your purposes, there are 4 cartridge types ... levergun cartridges, specifically for Marlin or the like, are "rimmed" (the rim is wider than the case body) ... AR-15 cartridges are restricted by the length of a .223 (include 6.8SPC) ... the last two are for bolt-actions, non-AR-15 automatics (BAR & Remington 7400), and pumps (Remington 7600) ... the older of the two is called "standard-action" and is often based on the .30-06 (includes .270) ... the newer is called "short-action" and is often based on the .308.

Short-action cartridges, vs traditional .30-06 loads typically offer very similar ballistics with significantly less recoil ... they also afford a slightly shorter, and lighter rifle.

Many prefer the .30-06 (or .270) as these are more prevalent (if your dad, uncle, or grandad has a rifle, it's more likely they have these vs. a .308 ... andif you ask them what you should get, guess what they'll say?)

Hornady offers what they call "light-magnum" loads (actually, I think they just renamed 'em) ... they're the .30-06, .270, but also some short-action cartridges as well, loaded up significantly hotter than the typical cartridges available by anyone else. At that, I don't see any reason at all, unless you're REALLY gonna shoot a brown bear, to get any standard-length magnum (short-action magnums still mightbe useful where 400yd+ shots can be expected, and you're up to the task).

Lots of guys simply insist on a .30 ... don't matter which it is. .30 bullets are typically "light for caliber" in most "deer" loads. Frankly, a 6.5mm (.264) 120gr bullet is more than capable of taking any MN deer. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find a nice rifle in that caliber. A .270 based on a .308 case would also be very nice ... but, it don't exist. Which brings us to the 7mm-08 ... typically available with a 140gr bullet ... a bit heavier, than needed ... but as I said, ANYTHING will kill a deer. In the case of 7mm-08, ya'd have one of the flattest trajectories this side of .243, and very tolerable recoil ... and most likely, you could never outshoot the gun ... at least, in the field.

From there it jumps to .308 ... by no means a "horrible" cartridge ... and if I could only get the rifle I really wanted, in .308, I wouldn't hesitate.

For that matter, I wouldn't have a problem with .338 Federal or .358 Winchester ... but those are probly better suited to much larger animals within 200yd.

Hopefully that gives ya a bit better idea what's out there.

I shoot the weatherby vanguard in 30-06 and love it and this year I bought a used winchester model 100 in .308 and it shoots like a dream hardly notice the recoil. The iron sights come up perfectly when shouldered and this is a carbine size gun and not so heavy to carry the 06 might be getting a little dusty from here on out.

Sig's got some great info!

Love my Remington 700 BDL, 300 Win Mag. Didn't see that one mentioned. It was my first rifle, and still pick it up first.

Basically when I was starting out my gun collection, as it sounds like you are, I wanted to start with more of an all purpose gun and then I could fill it in with niche guns later. But with the 300 win mag you can use it for whitetail, muley's, elk, moose, bear you name it. Keep in mind it has a little more snort to it.

If I was going to get one for just whitetail, it would be a .270 or .308. I'm not saying they couldn't be used for those other animals, but I like more knock down power. For a bolt action whitetail rifle it would be the .270 for sure. I got the .308 in an AR because I wanted a semi-auto I could use for deer and coyote.

Don't know what experience you have with a bolt action, but if it is limited make sure to get out to the range so you can have some practice with using it and follow up shots. I grew up using an 870 slug gun so the first couple times I tried quick follow up shots I tried to pump the gun smile

Same with the open sites and scope. I was comfortable with the open sites and not comfortable with acquiring the sight picture through the scope. You don't have to, but I would recommend getting a scope. Once you get used to it, I would never go back to hunting without one...except for the challenge. And you can get the maximum effectiveness out of the range of rifle as well. The target area on a deer at 100 yards and further on a deer looks a heck of alot bigger with a scope and helps with a better shot placement.

Hope that helps. Been there...

I shoot the weatherby vanguard in 30-06 and love it and this year I bought a used winchester model 100 in .308 and it shoots like a dream hardly notice the recoil. The iron sights come up perfectly when shouldered and this is a carbine size gun and not so heavy to carry the 06 might be getting a little dusty from here on out.

I purchased a model 100 years ago. Then for some odd reason I sold it. Biggest mistake I have ever made with buying and selling guns.

A sweet gun indeed.

My MN whitetail gun is a Marlin 336 in .35. I think it is a great value for its durability. Chuck Hawks has a pretty good comparison of whitetail rifles if you care to research online. With Hornadays Leverevolution cartridges, you can definitely reach out and touch whatever you have in your sights.

Shopping for a new rifle is exciting. The great thing is you have plenty of time before next season to research and find exactly what suits your needs.

Most manufacturers have ballistics charts online and there are several great gun shops in town where you can get the feel for the different types of rifles.

My .02. Skol.

your going to get alot of other people's opinions, i would check out cabelas' HSOforum and look under the guns and check their reviews to try to narrow down your search, then as stated by musky --go to the store, hold them, shoulder them and find one that is comfortable to you.

-good luck!

Thanks all. Chuck Hawks is the first place I look for info. I decided on my tc omega z5 based on that info and others.

I am 95% sure I am getting the marlin xl7 in .270 Chuck's site doesn't have much good to say about the low end rifles, but from what I have found online, it will be plenty accurate for deer.

go with gut instinct. walk in to gun shop look around and the one that catches your fancy take note of. think about it for a time and go back if it still sounds good to you buy it. All calibers and makes of guns will kill animals if you can aim fairly well. Just remember you get what you pay for. Some cheap weapons are cheap for a reason.

When you are ready for a scope, save up for a good one. Don't cheap out.

I agree ... spend more for a nice scope.

But, if ya buy a new rifle that don't come with sights (like most bolt-actions), as opposed to buying a cheaper rifle to afford a nice scope right away, I highly recommend getting the rifle you REALLY want ... and a cheap scope, so ya can still shoot it ... while ya save up for a nicer scope.

Check out the Savage rifles with the accu-trigger. I love mine in 7mm-08. Priced right and great accuracy. Other one I can recommend is the Remington 7600 in .280 or 30.06. My son has the 7600 in .280 and it is a great deer slayer

Mwal

Good info. Keep it coming. I am looking to pick it up this weekend. I have been looking at the bushnell elite 3200 fast focus for my scope.

If you're asking, I guess I'd rather go with the Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33 for $190 or 3-9x40 for $200 ... but that's just me.

I'm sure the Bushnell is a nice scope, too.

So ya got the Marlin bolt-action?

Getting the marlin, most likely choice anyway, this weekend. The scope sometime this spring when I know for sure what I want.

Originally Posted By: fr0sty
Good info. Keep it coming. I am looking to pick it up this weekend. I have been looking at the bushnell elite 3200 fast focus for my scope.

If you're asking, I guess I'd rather go with the Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33 for $190 or 3-9x40 for $200 ... but that's just me.

I'm sure the Bushnell is a nice scope, too.

So ya got the Marlin bolt-action?

Getting the marlin, most likely choice anyway, this weekend. The scope sometime this spring when I know for sure what I want.

Just curious ... most guys who get Marlins get lever-actions ... they're quite nice ... what made ya pick their bolt-action, over their lever-action?

Because the Marlin was one of the guns that fit my criteria. From all reports, it appears to be very accurate and has a great trigger and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I still need to handle it and see if it feels good and not like a pile of junk smile

Originally Posted By: fr0sty

Just curious ... most guys who get Marlins get lever-actions ... they're quite nice ... what made ya pick their bolt-action, over their lever-action?