• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow and cold weather

MUSKY18

So with this really cold weather hitting us right now, and being my first "real" year of bow hunting hard, I was wondering if there is anything special I should be doing with my bow? How does the cold weather affect the bow and strings and should I be doing something to ensure that they will work when/if I ever get to let an arrow fly?

all i can think of is make sure you pull it back every now and again when you're in the stand. Otherwise you'll stiffen up so tight it'll feel like you're drawing back a 100lb bow. Otherwise just make sure your parts are lubed up and there isn't any moisture in key places, I.E. Drop away rest

Take some practice shots with your bulky warm clothes on. Your sleeve might suddenly become an issue or the extra thick collar or gaitor on your neck might cause some anchoring interference.

Many people reduce their draw weight a touch for cold weather. I keep mine lower all season so I don't have to adjust. Nothing ticks you off more than not being able to draw on a deer you froze for 3 hours of waiting on because you can't pull your stupid bow back. crazy

I always hear, "try shootin with all your clothes" this is great, mittens will effect your shots

The other night I was out without mittens, just my Cent Lock gloves, not normally a problem

However.. the deer I missed took 40 minutes to get to me

My hands were frozen pretty bad

SO.....Try to practice with frozen fingers....

That's why any late season deer is a trophy in my eyes!

I wear my big Ice Armour mitts, and when Im ready to shoot, I take the right one off and the release is already on and leave the other one on for shooting. As far as the bow, I do nothing special to it, just leave it out in the truck overnight, and make sure it dont get iced up.

To avoid the heavy clothes issue when it comes time to shoot, get a Heater Body Suit. From the guys I've talked to, they are worth their weight in gold to the late season, cold weather deer hunter.

It's a good idea to pull your bow back every now and then when you're in the stand. One year my dad was fighting the cold in Iowa and drew on a buck and there was a loud squeak as he drew. Needless to say, no deer. LOL

Brian

I love bowhunting this time of year! A few things that really help me-- merino wool socks (this one is huge!), huge/warm boots, thicker glove on left hand and light glove on right hand (release hand), face mask, insulated wool bibs and jacket, lots of layers, disposable hand warmers.

I like to wear a thick warm glove on my left hand to hold the bow, and then wear a very light glove on my right hand. I keep the right hand in a muff though until I need to shoot. Also I wear an arm guard over my left sleeve to keep the bulky clothes out of the way.