• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog food

Ballyhoo

What kind of dog food does everyone use? I used to have a black lab and always fed her Iams and now have a springer pup and she is still on puppy chow. I know about the cheap dog foods with mostly filler but just wondering if there are any other good brands that are reasonably priced.

My shorthair has been on Iams since we brought him home. After researching food quite a bit, seemed like it was s decent value compared to others. Not the cheapest though, can't argue that.

If there was a cheaper, equivalent, I'd love to hear about it too. But I haven't found it yet.

We had a lab for 13 years and always fed her Eukanuba. It worked really good for and I would definitely recommend it.

We just got a new pup and someone recommended Fromm's dog. We are going to give that a try and see how it goes.

whats everyone think of Perina puppy chow and dog chow?

i have a shorthair puppy that I started on purina puppy chow. she had way too much "waste" and I went through alot more food than I should have. I switched to diamond brand and have been very happy with it. it's not too much more than the purina. My last shorthair had iams, and I loved it, but a little too spendy on my current budget.

I have my lab on Sprout from Mills Fleet Farm.. the Adult formula that comes in the brownish bag, $20 or so for the 40lbs bag.. compared to $35 for Nutro.. I was using the blue performance bag but the kibbles where small and she didn't like it. She has been doing well on it for 6 months now.

I noticed that Nutro gave her a shinier coat, but her #2 is about the same..

I just switched to Diamond from Nutro...sick and tired of paying 55-60 (after tax) per month on dog food. She loves it and after a few weeks, no noticable difference in her #2.

My previous lab was on Diamond too and did very well with it also.

Just switched from Diamond Naturals to Taste of the Wild. This food is very high quality and reasonably priced, and my dog absolutely loves it. I am feeding him the High Prairie blend right now, and the main ingredients are venison and buffalo.

I hunt my dog hard for waterfowl and some upland and did a ton of research on a lot of brands. I don't see myself switching to anything else.

You'll find almost as many suggestions as their are posters. You have to find what works best for your dog. I've tried 5 different foods and have found that NutriSource Adult works best for my lab. Taste of the Wild has a fantastic ingredient list but after 2 bags my dog was still dealing with loose stools. Others I've tried were Diamond, Nutro, and Instinct. I finally quit screwing around and setting on NutriSource, which you can find at Pet Supplies Plus, Gander Mtn, Chuck & Don's and maybe other places.

But what works for my dog or other folk's dogs may not work for yours. Check the ingredient lists and make sure meat is in the top spot for sure, and preferably the first two. I also try to avoid "wheat middlings" (which, near as I can tell, are just a hair better than sawdust in nutritional value) and corn.

If grains are in the top spot on the list, I'd avoid it.

Man, you guys with IAMS, didn't that nasty pet food recall rattle your cage a little bit? Personally, I cut Iams right out of the equations.

It should also be noted that if you ever go to Canada with your pet, they will not let any beef products in their country, including in pet food. Furthermore, if your pet food contains anything labeled "animal by product" then it falls under the category of "it could be beef" and you will not be bringing it into canada.

Personally I decided not to feed by dog anything with Animal By Products because I view this as mystery meat. I also stay away from preservatives.

I also try to avoid corn or "wheat middlings" which, near as I can tell, are just a hair better than sawdust in nutritional value.

Not that I really want to join another food post.....but to say corn has no nutritional value, that's a bit misleading.

Not that I really want to join another food post.....but to say corn has no nutritional value, that's a bit misleading.

Bad sentence phrasing on my part. I meant that comment to only apply to the wheat middlings. I've edited my post to make that clear.

The only time I've seen it listed is in food that sells for 50¢ per pound or less.