• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Largest 8 pointer ever

propster

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as soon as anyone mentions anything about possible world record, for anything, its like a huge wave of jealousy swarms over some/most people, and they can't say anything possitive about that possible record entry! don't belittle the animal by complaining how it was taken. until there is any proof of whether or not it was poached, give the guy SOME credit! with ALL record entries, they have to verify how and when, and where the animal was taken! for fish, they sample scales to verify it grew in a natural body of water ya know.

Or how about his friends and family that know he already shot a buck and doe with his bow this year? Last I looked you can only harvest one buck!

Whatever a person's opinion is on this, they have a right to it, however in MN it is legal to party hunt bucks. That does mean someone with an open tag should have been afield with him at the time.

Still_Huntin, welcome to HSO/FM. We'll see what shakes out in the time to come regarding the hunter and the take of this deer. I hope you stick around after it all settles though.

We don't like to bash folks on here (unless its good-natured wink ), especially before the truth is known. You may very well be correct in your suspicions but I hope we can leave it there until we know more.

1. Legal issues and no good press.

I think we have a winner!

Story has it DNR went to recover the big 8 carcass and found the other 2 untagged and unregistered carcass's also. So far it sounds like it was taken with bow but the hunter did illegally take the other 2 deer which means the big 8 was also illegal! There was a whole lot of meat in the freezer for no deer being tagged!!

Can anyone challenge the story? I've yet to hear one good thing come of this yet.

Blackdog, no need to apologize. I can see now how my post may have been taken wrong. And as for this last post:

"So was this Buck Poached or is there PROOF it was shot Legit?? I also know the guy personally and I'll never EVER believe it until theres ABSOLUTE PROOF! GREAT BUCK....Its a shame who shot it....I'll leave it at that...."

I have a question for you. How many deer have you ever taken with a bow where you had an eye witness? In all my years I can think of one - when my 7 yr old son sat with me and he rattled in a 100" 8 pt for me. I normally wouldn't shoot that class of deer, but he wanted me to take it pretty bad, and I'll admit it was good for him to see. He's been hooked ever since. But to your point, how do you figure you're ever going to get absolute proof? The only way I know is if somebody sat with him, and I'm saying that's not very likely for any bowhunter. And by the way, I'm not commenting on the hunter, his ethics, or the scenario at all, I don't know him. But as Wanderer says, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, you know, innocent until proven guilty. I'd hate to see someone come out with a bunch of negative things about any of you shooting a nice deer. My comments and appreciation are for the buck at this point.

propster it seems like you know alot about this story, maybe you could help us shed some light on what is fact or fiction?

The real story should come out soon, it isn't a good sign when the DNR takes away your rack, the body, and all the meat in your freezer. It wasn't just the big 8 meat it was the other two deer he shot earlier in the year also.

All you can say is karma caught up to this guy again. Stay legit out there folks, just imagine how the best thing to ever happen in your life can turn into the worse thing in your life overnight!

I know a guy that went and registered his deer at the local station and DNR was there and they said this buck was taken illegally, they didn't go into detail about it being with a gun or bow, but either way you can't shoot 2 other deer and not tag/register them then turn around and shoot a world record 8 pointer and slide it under the rug.

For everyone defending this guy what do you got?

I don't think they're defending the guy, per-se, they're defending the right to not be judged unfairly.

This story is evelving into a similar one about the youg guys who shot the enormous Buck in Canada a few years back after legal shooting hours and had to forefit the Deer and the right to be proud of a legal hunt.

With all the noteriety these days given a hunter who bags the next "biggest" animal, the temptation to cheat is too strong for some. Greed and Ego are a bad cocktail.

I agree Chef

I wonder what kind of trouble this poacher is going to get into? I just read an article on the news that said how poaching has been a rising problem in MN, I hope they make an example out of this guy!!

Yeah! Guilty until proven innocent. The shooter should be tarred and feathered until he can prove he is innocent!

Don't get me wrong, I hate a poacher as much as the next guy. But I certainly won't assume someone is guilty of poaching because a few people on the internet are saying he is based upon unnamed and unverified sources. Show some proof before calling someone a scum of the earth poacher.

Finny, Chef has it right. I was not and am not defending the hunter at all. Again, I don't know him. You all know as much as I do. Until this most recent news, which we still don't know what the real story is, I was merely saying let's give someone the benefit of the doubt until we know otherwise, just like any of you would like to have if you were the one involved. It appears that that Still Huntin's suspicions were correct, though I doubt that makes him feel any better to be right. It's a shame for the deer, and for those that were trying to take him ethically. My only involvement was in having the rack in my hands and scoring it, and letting you all know that it was real and what it scored. I would urge the DNR to enter this buck in the Boone & Crockett record books with hunter unlisted, so at least it gets its place among the giants of all time.

I wish I was wrong to be honest, but once I heard the name of the hunter that shot this buck I knew there had to be more to the story.

Its a shame someone more deserving didn't take this whitetail, sorry but even if this guy would of took it fairly he wouldn't of deserved it.

I hope that buck makes it in the Boone and Crockett record book also, the deer should have recognition. I was just reading up on some others that were poached that made it in, a poached buck can make it so I'd imagine this one will, afterall its possibly the biggest 8 point buck ever shot, right in some of our back yards!

Very interesting, everybody has those people in their town if that is indeed the case, and everybody knows about them. I am not saying that this guy is that kind of person, but something about this is starting to smell funny.

I am still hoping to see a big story about it and hopefully its legit.

Trigger, yes he is that kind of guy. Everyone knows also, thats why you'll see a few people on every site telling it how it is about this situation.

I wish some of the legit folks that were trying to hunt this majestic whitetail would speak up about it and tell us some stories about him! I'm done talking about the poacher until the real story breaks.

Heck of a deer though, it's awesome what kind of whitetail bucks live in some of our areas, there are bucks like this all over they are just seldom seen. I've personally seen tons of deer over the 200" mark.

i've seen alot of bucks around the 200" mark also...i've only seen a couple true beasts like that while in a stand but back n the day we used to go shining and we would see monsters every night...i bet none of them were seen by hunters...we would see bucks that would make the news if shot yet never heard a peep about any of them....they are just that smart....if anything they were shot on their down cycle but not in their prime.

Here's the story:

Quote:(WCCO)Some hunters think a deer shot near Cannon Falls could be the biggest eight-point buck in the world. However, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is now investigating it as possible case of poaching.

Message boards were lit up as soon as the picture of the deer was posted online. A man who showed up at the taxidermist took the picture and put it online for all to see.

The 32-inch beam, 27-inch spread, classic 8-point buck weighed 269 pounds. The DNR wants to know if the buck was taken illegally. It may have been shot with a rifle in bow season.

The DNR has not said anything more about the case just yet. However, Conservation Officer Pat McGowan said when someone shoots out of season it becomes a matter of safety.

"When people are using rifles or shotguns it can pose a problem not just for hunters but for general public as well," he said.

As more and more hunters post pictures online, it's turned into a tool for officers to investigate what's could be going on in the woods, fields and water in Minnesota.

The taxidermist said the buck was killed on Halloween and brought in a few days later and he thought there were arrow marks on the skin.

No matter what may have happened to the trophy buck, the DNR says bottom line poaching takes away from hunters who do it the right way and follow the rules.

"We have a lot of rules that are there for deer hunting but they are there for a purpose we need people to follow those rules," Officer McGowan said.

The Goodhue County Attorney could file charges in the case this week. Depending on the circumstances, poachers can lose their hunting licenses for a few years and pay fines.