• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

random pics..

So I am new to the HSOforum. I have enjoyed many of the photos that have been posted on here, and I thought I might throw some out there to try to get some feedback. I am an amateur photographer, and like to take pics when I have the time. Let me know what you think....I don't mind criticism!

100_0959.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

DSC03892.jpg

DSC01652a.jpg

These are just a few! If you haven't noticed by now....I kind of have a thing for water scenes!

Kate, welcome to HSO/FM. Great to have you here, and thanks for joining in.

Let me know what you think....I don't mind criticism!

Really pretty images here. I'm a little partial to water images myself.

In image No. 1, I think the major points of interest are along the middle of the image. Cropping out a good bit of the top and bottom for a more panoramic look is something that may be worth trying. You may like it better, you may not. Photography is a lot like cooking . . . season to taste. smile

No. 2 is full of drama, IMO. Crashing water and deep shadows. I like it a lot just as it stands.

The composition in No. 3 is wonderful. Excellent eye, there. An idyllic scene. The highlights in the water and on some of the leaves look blown out on my monitor, and it appears this was shot in pretty hot sunlight, so I can see how that could happen. Not sure which camera you are using, but unless it's a basic point-and-shoot, most offer the option of using exposure compensation to override the meter. In this case, I'd have underexposed one full stop for starters.

In No. 4, the diagonal flow of the rushing water has great appeal. Again you've shown an eye for composition, which is often instinctual and difficult to teach. Good job on that. It looks like the image is pretty heavily saturated due to the high level of blue in the water. Highlights in shadow do gather in blue, so if you are saturating the image after the fact using software, don't be shy about leaving the blues alone and saturating the yellows, reds and greens, or if you saturate overall, you can then drop saturation in the blues and cyans. I'm also left hoping for more room to the lower left. As a viewer of a photograph, my eyes are naturally drawn to follow the implicit motion of the subject, and that motion is down and to the left, so my mind wants to see a little room in that direction. The hotly lit foreground grasses distract me because of how bright they are and because they obscure the point of impact of the water in the pool, which is something I want to see.

Again, nice work! And show us as much more as you'd like. Always fun to see how a different eye produces different looks, and we only offer critiques when someone asks. smile

Kate, any of the DSLR sensors produced over the last few years are capable of stunning image quality. Lens quality is a limiting factor to some degree, but it's the photographer's imagination that's most important. No need to apologize for "entry" level gear.

You are already having fun and producing images you like, images that are appealing to others as well. Sounds like success to me. And you've got at least one other Sony DSLR shooter who posts regularly on this board to keep you company if you get tired of us Canon and Nikon folks. wink