• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gettin ready to say goodbye

glenn57

well, after 13yrs of chasing roosters and grouse i reluctantly am putting my lab down. should of did it before labor daybut......could not get myself to do it. i needed to build the courage, so appt is made for sat at 8am. he can hardly get up the steps anymore without helpin his hind end. this is really hurtin with tears as hes went through 4 grandkids crawling all over him. all the kids are coming friday nite so to say goodbye. i am going to really miss SPIKE. crycrysick

I'm sorry to read about Spike, it is with a heavy heart that we have to make these decisions. Use the next 48 hours to waaaay over the top spoil him. Be there with him and let him know how much you meant to him.

Keep hom in your heart and mind and he will never truely leave your side!

Hang in there Glenn... I'll think of you two saying your goodbyes on Saturday morning.

Godspeed Spike!

Ken

Bummer Big Guy, Good luck on Saturday. I still remember doing that lovely duty on ours a few years back. No one else would do it, so I had to step up and do it. I can tell you exactly what happened that day I did it. Afterwards a good stiff drink helped, then went up to the cabin.

Be strong BIG GUY

Come Saturday afternoon, Spikes aching old body will be like he was 3 again. He'll be chasing pheasants flushing from endless fields from sunup to sundown.

Good luck, I cant imagine the pain you guys must be going through. Love him up real well the next few days - no treat is too extravagent - think steak dinner!

It will be a sad day for sure. Just went through it a few months ago-mine was the same age. Lucky, I bought a new pup several months before I put her down. It made it a little easier. Good luck and remember the great times you had with Spike.

hey thanks everyone, your kind words help. i here ya on the 12 pac. i will be strong, i think. it wont be easy. and tea there wont be a rooster or grouse safe in that endless field/woods. deep down i know this is right i can see it in his eyes hes miserable. last nite i was in the yard, he had come down to visit he got 2/3rds the way back up the steps and his back legs quit on him and slid all the way back down. i cried. again thanks all.

Boy.....losing and letting old dogs go is hard. Hang in there. I gotta believe that wherever dogs go in the afterlife, everyday is bird season, and someday I'm going to have a whole kennel full great dogs when I make it there.

Gonna be a tough day! Had to do that a couple years ago and do not wish that on anyone. Here is a poem that I thought was kind of nice. It was on a card that the Vet sent to us the following week. Take care and N Joy the memories!

The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting heaven and earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who were maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches. The ears are up. The eyes are staring. And this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.