• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think once they lose their velvet that they start to spar pretty regularly. They set up their hierarchy now before the rut so that big battles at that time, when they may be worn down some from the rut, are more rare.

very cool video 79. sat morning saw a group of 3 does that never presented a shot. sunday morning, i just sat down and pulled my bow up when i heard a deer running through the woods that ended up running about 20 yards behind me. about a minute later, a figure walked about 10 yads in front of me. at first i thought it was another deer, but when it turned, it looked like it had a tail, so thought maybe a coyote. couldn't get a good look at it because of the lack of light. may have explained the deer running through. all in all a nice weekend in the stand, one mosquito the entire weekend which was nice.

slow night tonight only had a doe and a fawn come out about 630 or so they did'nt stick around long and then just befor dark 3 deer came into the field I was on and I thought if the doe gave me a shot I would fill that bonus tag I got,she did 30 yards I watched her fall she went about 50 yards those rage broadheads did a heck of a job.

A skunk tonight just as i was about to climb out of the stand, he came threw the bean field right under my stand. I really do not like them things, thought about drilling em but dont want that stink around the stand, although it would be a good cover scent.

slow,i had a yearling walk past me at 2:00pm and at 6:45pm a doe and fawn came by on the same trail.i am not hunting fields but am hunting a nice funnel area that has the main trail with several others coming into it.there are 3 fresh rubs on trees about 3 1/2" diameter within 50 yards of my stand there are also a bunch of older rubs.i never hunted this area before but i know there are some big bucks in the area,now it's the waiting game again.....

Last night I saw two does one came by nice at 20 yards the other stayed out a ways. I was in a low ground area and when it got cool the fog sure came in heavy. Other than that seen some coons and that was it for the night.

This morining I saw some birds eating grapes by my stand and around eight thirty three doe came out and ate some beans and then trotted off. Cant seem to find out where the bucks are???

I got permission to hunt a piece of ground yesterday so I went out and put up my ground blind. Got in WAY early to make sure didn't spook anything. about hour half before dark I hear something behind me. I look and a doe saw my ground blind and didn't like it one bit. She was stomping the ground and snorting. lasted about 5/10 min. She was even down wind of me till I think she didn't like it any more then took off. She had a fawn with her. about 20 min later in the soybean field came a deer. It lifted it's head and I could see it was a buck I call JR a tall 8 pointer. So I got ready he was slowly working towards me when he got about 40 yds he looked behind him and lifted his head and started trotting. I drew and instantly started grunting to get him to stop no luck at all. Went into the woods 15 yds from me. little after that a doe came across the road working towards me and I saw she was solo so good candidate for my doe tag. Got to the edge of the field and jumped into the woods well there is a clear path that she would have crossed got ready and she came out but i couldn't get a clear shot at her because of one tree. I think she saw me trying to reposition in the blind cause she took off after noticing the ground blind. I was full drawn and everything all I needed was her to be a little bit clearer position then she was. Thought that was going to be my luck no more deer would be crossing all of a son I look out and there is a 4 pointer 10 yds broadside from my blind. didn't care one bit that the ground blind was there walked around me then went into the woods. So I don't think they could smell me they just weren't used to seeing it there I think. Taking the girlfriend out tonight and we'll see if anything comes to that spot tonight or not.

been a great start this weekend. 1 deer 2 coons thursday on the bottom near the creek. friday night had encounters up top w/ 14 deer, three of which were bucks, one good six probably 2 year old. I think I gotta get up in a tree the ground blind couldn't seal the deal, or should I say I couldn't seal the deal w/ the ground blind. Was not skylined at all, set into a nice pocket concealed well. Had this happen twice, doe and fawn coming in from 150yds around the corner, could see them coming and coming and coming first lane was at 20yds. they cam right inuntil the hit that lane saw something they didn't like and gonzo! Then just after shooting time I climbed out and out of now where had does and a buck frollicking around chasing and spinning, running etc. and then he bee lined right at me and He got to about 8 yds and locked up the brakes and bolted. went so fast there was no shance to do anything about it. great night made me want to set up near by this morning. saw half dozen gobblers and then a coyote, and about 7:10 had four does race past and down the ravine. About twenty miles an hour at 50 to 60yds. All in all a great start to the season for me. Very fun! Think I'll be out Sunday night again if all goes as planned!

Went out saturday morning and was kept pretty busy. i had 2 does walk by at about 40 yards then twenty minutes later a six pointer and a spike walk into range. i decided to pass on them and save my tag for that big 12 pointer we have on trail cameras. i'll probably try again tomorrow night

Did not see anything today. My brother saw the same two does we have been trying to get for the last week. The people out at the range in rosemount near where we are hunting have been the best. They stop and talk to us if they see us around. An older man stopped turned off his vehicle and even told my brother where he usually sees alot of does. I did find two small trees that were worked on by a buck it seems. they werent like that 3 days ago

Got out last night and shot my doe. Came in with a button and a spiker, about 20 yards, I did shoot her too far back, behind the last rib. Gave her about 2.5 hours, didn't want to wait till morning with the warm weather, that and the fact she just walked off and didn't run so I figured she would lay down inside the edge of the woods. She did and didn't go more than 100 yards total. 1-1/2 year old good eating.